Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Twist Rates (Read 10866 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Twist Rates
Oct 9th, 2012 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Cut and pasted a section out of a web site.  Wonder what you guys think about his theory.  I have always felt it's a mistake to spin too fast with cast bullets. Fast enough to stabilize is all you need. Never had any proof or support to my theory, and far as I can tell this is another individual theory.

"As a fundamental rule, the slower you spin a bullet the more accurate it can be. The reason is simply that bullet jackets aren't perfectly uniform in thickness and a slower rate of spin keeps those tiny variances from altering the bullet's flight. Think of a car tire with a slight imbalance, the faster you go, the more you feel that thumping. The bullet is the same except that because it isn't held by an axle like the tire is, the imbalance will make it wander slightly from its original path. The limitation we face on rate of twist, is that although we want it to be slow for accuracy, we need a certain amount of twist for stability."

This from the Riflemans Journal 

Boats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Twist Rates
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2012 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Boats I am with you, I feel you can definitely over spin a bullet not so much for stability reasons as much as for nose slump reasons. Those sharp noses on the spitzer bullets have to deny allot of forces prior to leaving the barrel and centrificul force from rate of spin is probably the hardest one to overcome. I close friend of mine made a catch box and he recorded nose slumps any where from 5 thousandths up to 12 thousandths. I refer to nose slump as the forces pushing the nose off to one side and no longer being central to the bore. A definite accuracy killer and I think this is also why I have experianced the continuing great success with the harder lead and tin alloys such as the 1-16 that I am currently using. It equates to smaller groups, less fliers and greater consistency as long as you don't experiance leading. There is also a secondary form of nose slump and that is when the bullet collapses like an accordion from the initial powder blast as the last to start moving is the nose. If the bullet does not collapse straight back and equally then the nose again will slump off to one side and no longer be central to the bore. Either way the bullet is no longer balanced and if the lube grooves are not completely full and or missing on one side the bullet cannot slump straight back and equally. I could go on with my personal findings but I think this is enough to get an idea of some of the things going on with the bullet that we tend not to think about such as your original comment / concerns with over spin.

J.Louis
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2012 at 8:39pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2012 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
I need to add the fact that the Pope style bullets also slumped and it is not just something that is only experienced the spitzer designs. It is tempting for one to think at a lesser degree but it doesn't really matter as once the nose slumps extreme accuracy now becomes none existent.

For those of you have not spent any time over on  Germán Salazar's site The Riflemans' Journal I would urge you to do so, there is a wealth of information that can apply to what we do. He has been a true blessing to the shooting community in whole and he still continues to be one.

J.Louis
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2012 at 8:49pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2012 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
John,

Here is the link, although the article is on twist rates for 30/06.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Thing that got me thinking was the trend to fast twist 38 barrels with very long cast bullet.  And the excellent results I get with my Douglas 18 inch twist barrel and 300 gr bullets.  That barrel was set up by CPA in 1993 and is considered slow by today's standards.  Yet it shoots perfectly stabilized and effective to over 500 yards.

It's all opinion but I think cast bullets better to stick with what works. Not use ideas based on jacketed bullets in sub calibers for long range shooting.

Be interested in actual match results with fast twist long 38's

Boats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2012 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Boats I apologize, I went back to correct my original statement about forgetting the link when I realized that you cut and pasted what you wanted to share as stated. Just one of those dumb moments that continue to plague me at times.

J.Louis

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 5:16am
Print Post  
No worries I do the same thing all the time. Must be Senior moments.

Years ago when setting up my 38/55 for BPCS I went fairy pointed with one of my molds. Looking for better wind results and hit harder on Rams.  At the time was warned away from longer bullets & there were few fast twist barrels on the market then.   

It's been a very good combination but belive I was lucky with the bullet.  Several others I know of never performed well, probably due to nose slump.  Add fast twist and even longer bullet it's a roll of the dice results wise. 

Boats

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Ron Smith has manufactured RKS barrels for top competitive shooters for years. 

Ron states:

" The accuracy of a bullet is better with a faster twist rate than a slower twist rate when you are outside the normal twist range for a specific length bullet. Better to go too fast than too slow!"

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
I am in total agreement Dave, that bullet I shot that was always on the ragged edge and had to be pushed hard would have benefited to a slightly faster twist. Those little strange puffs of wind probably would not have pushed it over the edge. That was the best shooting bullet accuracy wise that I have ever owned in 32 cal. and Bruce now has it and it should shoot lights out in his RKS gain twist barrel ending at I believe around 11.

J.Louis

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Oct 10th, 2012 at 5:28pm:
Ron Smith has manufactured RKS barrels for top competitive shooters for years. 

Ron states:

" The accuracy of a bullet is better with a faster twist rate than a slower twist rate when you are outside the normal twist range for a specific length bullet. Better to go too fast than too slow!"

Assuming I've read this correctly, I agree that "outside the normal twist for a specific length bullet", it's better to err on the side of the faster twist rate.  While a slightly over-stabilized bullet is a bit handicapped in comparison to a properly stabilized bullet, an under-stabilized bullet is the kiss of death.

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
I don't know, good quality Jacketed bullet yes twist it fast is good. And I am pretty sure too slow is not a good thing.

Soft imprecise lead bullet I think you can over spin causing unintended problems. Might be gain twist is a way to get a plain base cast bullet spinning fast with less chance of trouble.   

To be clear I am not doubting fast twist for long high BC bullets.  I do doubt it's a good thing for cast bullets.  It's all theory far as I can see, unless somebody can show clear match winning results with real fast twist.

Boats

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #10 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
I have a Rem 700 in 35 Whelen, which, sadly has the 1:16 twist.  Just a little faster, 1:14, would stabilize the 358008 bullets, but not the 1:16.  SO, I settle for a lighter/shorter bullet than what I got the gun for.  (It would put them all over and sideways at 50 yards.)

That's one end of the range of weights.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Boats,

Did you notice any trend in how the nose shapes among the 300 grain weight bullets you tried affected the accuracy with your 18" twist barrel?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Boats I think it would be helpful if you would clarify what you consider to be fast.

The RKS 32 barrels ending at 11 / 11.5 have a better than average track record with winning matches. I have also witnessed better than average performance with none gain 14 twist 32 caliber barrels in match conditions.

My CPA Douglas 32-40 has a 15 twist and I have suffered from it being on the slow side. It limits one to a few select bullet designs and is not spitzer friendly due to their typically longer lengths. 

J.Louis
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2012 at 10:49pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Boats I think this will add some interest to our discussions on twist rates and also help us to get a better understanding on the negative effects of over-spinning. Due the calculation for your current twist rate then up it to the next fastest and one will see the RPM increase is very substantial. All though the conversation revolves around jacketed bullets it directly applies to our lead and tin bullets as well as one will soon realize while reading it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

J.Louis

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2012 at 11:21pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 7:07am
Print Post  
John

I am thinking 38 caliber for NRA BPC matches to 1000 yards. 38/72 case.  Different thing than 200 bench rest. 18 inches is the old 38/55 spec and slow, 16 most new barrels. guys are going to 12's for the big case 38's and even faster with long bullets.

Seems to me 12 has such a high spin rate bullet has to be perfect no voids. Easy to obtain with store bought jacketed not so easy with cast.   

Point is if setting up a rifle for the match, better to go to .40 caliber than push the 38's . Or so it seems to me.

BP on my current 38/55 did not do any experimentation with nose shapes.  Used a store bought Saeco mold while the custom mold was on order. Once in hand the 290 gr , don't like to call it a spritzer not quite that sharp, but long nose, shot well.  So never tested any other shapes.  It performs noticeably better at 500 than the flat nose 300 gr.

That's my base experience, question now is barrel for longer range, what caliber and bullet weight.  This for a match that is most often won by 45/90's with heavy bullets. Like to go lighter in caliber and weight. stay with the CPA Action

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint