Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic ASSRA Journal 2012 national match (Read 2579 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Journal 2012 national match
Oct 6th, 2012 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
in case anyone is interested  I plan on going down to the Etna Green range on the friday to prepare for the event on Saturday.  The XXXXX of November and will set of some of our 22 rf backers on the 100 yard line for Saturday morning if anyone wants to come to EG to shoot the event.

This is a 100 shot 22 rf offhands event with different rules than our regular ASSRA matches. our standard range safety and methods will be in effect otherwise.  The rules are posted in the Announcements section on the site here and we have discussed them to a fare-thee-well.  they have also been posted in the Journal.  Contact John for registration and to get your targets.  We will have no targets for the match available at the range.  We will sell sighters for you to use in the practice area only BEFORE you start the 100 shot match on the match backers.

I will set of a few backers on a different part of the line for sight checking PRIOR to starting your 100 shot run on the official targets.  "All 100 shots must be made in 1 day. Once you start there is no going off to a sighter to check conditions, no pulling a shot off the paper and putting the next shot on and continuing on. Once you start you have the next 100 bullets to make the best score possible. If you fire 11 shots on a target one is removed and only the lowest nine shots will be counted on the next target

I am doing this simply so that those of us in the area who want to shoot this can do so in the congenial company of fellow ASSRA members.  It will be on Saturday only since I have other responsibilities for Friday and Sunday.

IF you decide to participate I'd appreciate a PM to get an idea of what I need to set up

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: ASSRA Journal 2012 national match
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
One rule I have a question about, are shooting coats allowed?

IP Logged

H. M. Pope
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Oct 6th, 2012 at 9:03pm:

If you fire 11 shots on a target one is removed and only the lowest nine shots will be counted on the next target[/i]" 

Quick question,
What shot is removed if a shooter shoots 11 shots on a target, I think I know what the answer should be but just want to be sure.
Regards
  Harry

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2012 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Specific questions should probably be directed to John since he organized the match and created the rules. 
Bear in mind  
In all cases unless otherwise stated the ASSRA rules for offhand shooting will apply.  

For those who are not members or who do not have a rule book the ASSRA rule book is posted as a PDF here on the site at:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).

Other shooting group shave their own rules that vary from ASSRA in some details,  But this specific match is set up under the rules & conditions John has established for it.

I am simply offering to open up the ASSRA range on that Saturday for anyone who wants to come shoot it there.  I won't score your targets, you mail them in to John for that.  I will make coffee.

Mybelief, at least my personal interpretation, is that when an extra shot is fired on a wrong target in a sequence of targets you count the lowest scoring 10 of the 11 (or God forbid, 12). Since you are only allowed 100 shots total the misplaced shots would be ALSO complete misses on the next target.  You cannot fire extra shots to make up for them.

Basically you go to the line with only 100 rounds, period and
what you get with those 100 rounds is what you get.

Taking the liberty to answer for John.  Since he states the above, And ASSRA rules and practice permit the use of shooting coats I think it is safe to say that shooting coats will be permitted in this match.  It is common practice at Etna Green perhaps 50% of the offhand shooters wear them. and it'll probably be cold enough that they'll be real comfortable

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2012 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
I just figured out how to make a buck off this for the club.   I'm going to go get a bunch of national and state election candidate posters and sell them for use as sight-in targets on the sight-in/practice backers Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

H. M. Pope
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2012 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Oct 7th, 2012 at 8:54am:

Specific questions should probably be directed to John since he organized the match and created the rules. 

Mybelief, at least my personal interpretation, is that when an extra shot is fired on a wrong target in a sequence of targets you count the lowest scoring 10 of the 11 (or God forbid, 12). 

"Specific questions should probably be directed to John since he organized the match and created the rules"

DWS,
It seems that John does not want to enlighten the general membership with his interpretation of his rules but I did receive a private answer from him.
Thanks John.

"My personal interpretation, is that when an extra shot is fired on a wrong target in a sequence of targets you count the lowest scoring 10 of the 11 (or God forbid, 12)"

DWS,
  My question was not about firing extra shots on the "wrong" target, it was about shooting more than the correct number of shots on the correct target.

Firing a shot on a shooters target that is on the left or right of yours I'm sure would cause a different set of problems, especially if the shooter to the left or right of you had a good target in the works. I don't think that would be a good way to make friends.  Angry   Embarrassed    Cry
Harry P.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2012 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
I was not thinking about cross fires onto a neighboring shooter's target.  ASSRA has a basic procedure for that. 
As I recall it requires immediate notification of the schuetzenmeister, or acting schuetzenmeister by the parties involved.  Frequently there is a difference in sizes or some other giveaway that the crossfired bullet is different.  the errant bullet is marked and initialed. The shooter who "owns" the target is not penalized.  In this event the target 'owner" who has their target shot by a neighbor would not have lost one of his 100 shots, but the shooter of the errant shot would have wasted one of his. 

In the case of this specific match at Etna Green match I will be putting the backers at double or triple spacing compared to our usual set up,  (in front of benches separated by a vacant bench or two) to avoid the problem of crossfires by a second shooter.

IN the case of a crossfire by the same shooter it is covered by the rules John posted.  As I read them, you only have 100 shots to shoot period. You should be going to the line with no more that 100 rounds in your possession. 

Put an extra one on the wrong one of your own targets and on that target you only score the lowest 10 shots of the 11 and on the following target you only have remaining 9 bullets left to shoot at it.   

Our 100 yard backers are of a size to hang four 100 yard targets with a couple inches between them.  I will also have white backer paper to cover the backers and give a fresh clean surface on which to staple the targets so errant off-target holes will be clearly visible

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint