Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic etna green fall 22 shoot (Read 1497 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

etna green fall 22 shoot
Oct 6th, 2012 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
interim report:   I had to leave late this afternoon so I don;t have any results but mine.  I shot up a lot of 22 ammo.  not much to show for it.  end of result Angry.

it was some strange weather,  thursday was 83 sunny and windy kind of manageable at 100 but real challenging at 200.
Friday, start of the match was cold with off and on rain and dark heavy clouds. we were delayed an hour getting started because it was still too dark to see the targets---let alone 22 cal bullet holes.  During the day the winds picked up and shooting, or trying to, got real interesting.  bench shooters who could recognize a repeatable "conditions" and the patience to wait for it to come back could shoot some good groups and scores.   I'm still learning.

it rained over night a some more and this morning was cold--and frosty  mid 30's. it was close to a 30 degree drop from thursday and we were all digging out warmer clothes hats and gloves. It was a lot more like the Spring 22 only matches that the usual Fall event. Wet targets left up overnight actually froze to the cor-plast backer in some cased.   In spite of the weather we had a great turn out,  27 by the time I had to leave.  Today was windy and cold, but the rain had gone on east and it was pretty bright and sunny.  I'll not be surprised to see some good results when Ken is able to get the scores posted.   I doubt there were many personal high scores among the offhand shooters.  the wind was really buffeting  me as I tried and I could feel it in the rifle and now that I'm home I can feel the result of the effort in my leg muscles.

But it was a really fun shoot,  we spent more time talking and warming up in side the club house and the adverse conditions seemed to bring out the best in the participants.  I guess it lowered expectations so we were all shooting more for the "fun" of it----rather than with beady-eyed competitive concentration

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: etna green fall 22 shoot
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the report DW sounds like everyone had a cold but good time. Looking forward to seeing the scores.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: etna green fall 22 shoot
Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2012 at 9:05am
Print Post  
I'm not Sad      Wink

Shooting offhand in a stiff but changeable wind is a real PITA. You don't realize how much you are bracing your self against it until it suddenly drops a bit just as you touch off a shot and you bullet hole goes  waaaay "up-wind" from where you were holding. 
  I guess the fact that the more experienced offhanders were taking a break to warm up about that time should have told me something Smiley

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint