Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Shipping To Canada (Read 1636 times)
Jerry_H
Ex Member

Shipping To Canada
Oct 3rd, 2012 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Can I ship (USPS) a Model 94 forend to Canada without any legal problems? I want to stay on the right side of the law.

Thanks,
Jerry_H

IP Logged

Kermit1945
Oldtimer

Re: Shipping To Canada
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
The shipping on your end may be a slam dunk. The recipient may be charged on their end--taxes, duty...

Comments from the north?

Border crossing and duty can be a mess. I once bought a sailboat in Victoria, B.C. I found out about a loophole that said if I'd paid duty on some item(s), anything I brought in within 30 days would be free of duty charges. I thought it was probably improbable. I called Customs. They said yes. I drove across the border one day and bought the fire extinguisher I needed anyway. I had to argue with the border guy that I REALLY needed to pay the duty. He thought I was nuts to insist that I not be given a pass on such a small item. I paid the duty and a week later brought the boat home with no charge. Cool

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Any firearm part is controlled on export by export regulations.  It is subject to confiscation, and the shipper to prosecution.  Sporting rifle stocks have been subject to this in the recent past, I have seen two posts on forum boards in the past year from people that have been caught up in a mess because of shipping stocks.   

I wouldn't do it.

dave

IP Logged

Jerry_H
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Dave,

Thanks for the information. That's exactly what I was worried about. I've never been in any trouble with the law and have no intention of starting at this point.

Thanks again,
Jerry_H

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Here's a useful link with information from the department of commerce, note the faq about rifle stocks:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Here's the application form to get the state department license:

Here's an explanation of the State department enforcement, and the act from which it stems.  It should only apply to military articles, but the State Department has been appllying it to all gun parts, effectively eliminating export to Canada.

dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint