Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Whatzit? (Read 6551 times)
Kermit1945
Oldtimer

Whatzit?
Sep 26th, 2012 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Just noticed this:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Click on it if you need to see it larger--I do.

I noticed there is a little pin through east/west and on the "objective" side there's a little tit sticking out. Nothing moves. Maybe hasn't in a century. Tell me about it? Does it just swivel the aperture down and give you a bigger one? Seems it would become a "ghost ring." Will it reveal threads to screw in another aperture?

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Whatzit?
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Staff for a lyman/marbles tang sight ( or an off-shore copy there of) missing the screw in disc is my guess

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
You are right on. It is a smaller aperture that swivels down out if the way of the larger aperture. Start soaking it in penetrating oil to loosen the dried oil binding it. Don't force it immediately. Let it soak a few days and try it. Once it moves at all then the penetrating oil will really go to work. Good luck with it.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
You have a #1/1A stem which always came with the fold-down smaller aperture. 

The #2/2A stem was threaded for the screw-in eyecup and did not come with the fold-down aperture. If you wanted a smaller size aperture, you ordered another eyecup that was drilled to a smaller size.

The pivot pin holding the fold-down aperture in the #1/1A stem is a tapered pin, so be careful not to lose it. 

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Kermit1945
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
By golly. I upended it and dunked it into my usual 50/50 ATF/acetone red sauce and set it on the bench. Came back about 30 minutes later and it moved. Applied more sauce with a q-tip and gave it a while longer. It's now moving it's full range, but a little stiffly. More sauce, more wait, then oil, I expect.

Looking through the large aperture I can see why the little option is the one that's available in stuck mode. Like looking through a canning jar ring.

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
BP is it Marbles or Lyman? to me they seemed so similar in a number of ways

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
That big aperture is real fast on game though.  Would seem imprecise but it's not. Have used one for years on my Marlin 39A, accounted for a lot of squirrels. Been shooting that rifle lately in NRA Lever Silhouette with the smaller arp, first time I used the small one.

Boats

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
DWS,

The picture is of a Lyman. At first glance, the Marbles and Lyman do appear similar, but like anything else, once you get used to looking at them, the differences pop out pretty easily. 

Boats, 

I agree. I usually use Lymans on my paper punchers, and Marbles on my hunting rifles. Drilling out the Marbles eyecups allows more light to enter the eye at dawn and dusk, and I haven't encountered loss of accuracy during mid-day hours. 

Not supposed to concentrate on the peep anyway, as the eye tries to automatically center the aperture, letting you focus on proper alignment of the front sight and target, whether fur or paper.

Edit: Figured I'd better provide clarification... I'm referring to the original Marbles Flexible tang sight and original Lyman tang sights - I don't mess with the current production sights from either outfit.

« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2012 at 10:32pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

EricJ

Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 3:46am
Print Post  
As BP said it's a 1/1A.  
Depending on the patent date.  If it is Jan. 28, 1879 only it is a first generation.  If it is JAN. 28, ’79 and MAY 6, ’84 it is the second generation of the 1.  If it is July 25, 1905, it is the 1A, which was made all the way until 1955.  The A means it has a locking lever on the left side of the upright pivot.

Eric

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 6:40am
Print Post  
Time to use the small arpeture is when light is bright and you get glare off the target, Lever Silhouette with white painted targets  bright sunlight the small one is very usefull. Almost all other times use the large hole.

Boats

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Quote:
By golly. I upended it and dunked it into my usual 50/50 ATF/acetone red sauce and set it on the bench. Came back about 30 minutes later and it moved. Applied more sauce with a q-tip and gave it a while longer. It's now moving it's full range, but a little stiffly. More sauce, more wait, then oil, I expect.
Kermit - good stuff isn't it to break down and release dried gummy residue just by soaking it for a spell and not having to apply any torque force?  Smiley

As tested, the acetone:ATF mix needs the least amount of torque of any tested solvent to 'break free' rusted bolts ... 53 lbs v 238 lbs using WD-40

Since I read the mechanics test on a forum back in 2009 and started spreading the word ... it has been the cat's meow for me and I'm at the bottom of a quart using it for many applications.  Examples:
* I had a decapping pin that had frozen threads with BP residue - dipped it in the mix - took a couple of breaths Wink - twisted the threads with my fingers and it broke loose 
* Bought a Fecker scope with frozen gummy threads. Q-Tip applications and slow light continuous twisting and the threads broke loose and now turn freely
* Broke all the plain steel rusted bolts on my duck boat for replacement with stainless steel
* Latest - removed all the aged hard dried grease on the new original diopter sight from the threads and moving parts 

I gave a quart to my marine engine service guys that work on motors used only in salt water ... they swear by it

For those that haven't seen the comparative test ...
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 8:52am
Print Post  
I'd be cautious with acetone-containing solvents and lubricants, I'm sure this will work well and will be making up a batch.  BUT it will strictly be for metal.
I have used PB Blaster for years on old Jeeps. Their old rusted "captured nuts" can be a real pain and almost impossible to replace once you bugger them up trying to get them loose.  I'll give this a try on them; {sure wish I could take them out and put them to soak--but that's the major problem with them}
Acetone can be death on gun finishes and on plasticized surfaces it will also flat out dissolve some plastics.  It is highly flammable and good ventilation goes without saying
It is a "hot" solvent that will penetrate well but flash off fairly quickly leaving little residue of its own. I can see how when mixed with the ATF it would penetrate quickly carrying the ATF with it.  I know this is sideways to the original thread but thanks for posting it

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #12 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Other good method for releasing stuck tight parts/bolts is to warm them if the base material will allow it and touch with a piece of bee's wax on the affected area (especially good for heat set bolts on air cooled motor cycle engines and those barrels you swear are welded on), warm it up so wax will melt (I use heat gun) and apply touch of bees wax to joint, wait half hour and try if it still won't come loose repeat above wait a few minutes try again, over night helps on the heats set bolts, standing the actions & barrels vertical works best.
Company I worked for in the early 60's used auto tranny fluid and chlorinated paraffin (think STP with out the auto engine additives) for a tapping compound both came in 55 gallon drums and for  penetrating oil xylene or toluene as they do not evaporate as fast as acetone and auto tranny fluid mixed 50/50 as needed!

The old wish I had, hung on to a quart or so of the auto tranny fluid used then it was from the 50's and told it was made with whale oil, didn't mean anything to me at the time!

Mike

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Might want to try Marvel's Mystery Oil instead of ATF.  I have and it works very good with the acetone

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
I was wondering about MMO too. Whatever it actually is its pretty good stuff for a lot of applications.  We used it a lot on air tools, (Rivet guns used in building an airplane) usually just a drop or two in the connector before snapping the air line on.  Worked well in cold weather in unheated shop long after other lubes thickened up too much and kept the guns form working.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint