Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bavarian Birthday Match • Group Picture (Read 4901 times)
feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Bavarian Birthday Match • Group Picture
Sep 24th, 2012 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
This year, we had already a lot of birthday matches. Its common for a traditional shooter in Bavaria, that one has to organize an own birthday match or donate a separate target at another normal match, when one has a "significant birthday". And its important to donate 20-30 silver hatpins for the best bull's eye shooters on the honor target.

Recently in mid of September, we had a very nice birthday match of a good shooter-friend, who lives far in the north of Bavaria. Was a long trip for some shooters from Austria or south of Bavaria, more than 500 miles back and forth. And so we did the honor for the buddy, more than 50 friends showed up for the one-day-match with only 25 shots. 

We had very nice weather, so it was possible to take a big group picture.

Biggi.   Smiley

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Re: Bavarian Birthday Match • Group Picture
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Biggi, that is ONE GREAT PICTURE!  The formal shooting attires, the huge collection of pins on many of the hats, the age diversity and the number of lady shooters.
A match and a picture to enlarge for the wall ... to be proud of for decades to come.

Oh, BTW - beautiful rifles too!

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your plaudit to our birthday match events. We enjoy it always to be invited to a birthday match. Having a nice day with friends, beer drinking, Bavarian roast pork with dumplings, coffee and cream cake in the afternoon. 
Wink Tongue

Yep, and I made a big printout of the group picture for the guy who celebrated with friends.

And with a real good shot on the honor target, one can win one of those rare special made silver hatpins. These are handmade artwork at the request of the donator, design and execution like the birthday-person orders.

We love it to wear these with pride on our hats. And its a real expensive fun for the donator...  Shocked  Undecided 

The picture shows three hatpins, which were to win on birthday matches this year.

Biggi.   Smiley

IP Logged

Fritz
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Looks as if the turnout for your shooting match was fantastic,much less than the nice pins to be given the
shooting participants-and not forgetting the fine food and fun to be had by everyone! The picture of rifles and shooting attire is great also--Thanks for sharing,
                                                                 Fritz

YIM  
IP Logged

Kermit1945
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Biggi. That photo reminds me of stumbling into Zeilhofen in a pouring rain on a Friday night about 20 years ago. I was completely lost, and needed a place to stay. I stayed (and ate!) here:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The hospitality was so wonderful that I spent the weekend and got invited to a schuetzenfest and their grillfest. Beer, food, beer, friendship, beer. It was one of the best experiences I've ever had while traveling. Wonderful memories.

For those not familiar with Zeilhofen ( Wink), the population when I was there was 70. I'm sure almost all of the town was participating that weekend.

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Now ... Biggi, please explain: Grin
The pin on the right: naked lady standing on the globe with raised arms in the arch ?

PS:  Was talking with Bill Loos - he asked me to say Hello and extend his regards

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 4:13am
Print Post  
Quote:

Now ... Biggi, please explain: Grin
The pin on the right: naked lady standing on the globe with raised arms in the arch ?

Okay, here it is: Apollonia, a goddess from the old old days. Hand carved by by Herbert (hatpin on the left) in the size of 15" tall. Scaled down to the size of a silver hatpin. 

Manfred likes such stuff, he has nekkid ladies engraved on his feuerstutzen.   Grin  Cheesy  Wink 

Biggi.  Smiley

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Biggi,

Your signature line says in part, "...quality posts from Bavaria."  but you have really outdone yourself this time!  Thanks for letting your American Cousins see how it's really supposed to be done.  Wink

Best Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 1:51pm
Print Post  

Hi Froggie. Thank you!  Smiley  Cheesy

Yep, I like it to share our old-style Bavarian match events with the American single shot shooters. 
Glad you like it! 

Biggi.  Wink

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Biggi, my ancestors home town is Amberg, Germany, are there any Schuetzen matches in that area, or maybe Nurnburg.   ledball

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
ledball wrote on Sep 25th, 2012 at 1:59pm:
Biggi, my ancestors home town is Amberg, Germany, are there any Schuetzen matches in that area, or maybe Nurnburg.   ledball

ledball, Amberg (located in North Bavaria, called Frankonia) was in the old days a famous town for rifle manufacturing. From 1801 to 1919 there was located the "Royal Bavarian Arms Factory". And a lot of gun smiths and gun makers lived there.

But nowadays, most of the tradition is gone. After WWI when there was not anymore the popular King of Bavaria and especially WWII when the occupying powers forbid all rifles and pistols (and took them to US), the old tradition died.

Only in South Bavaria and a part of Austria, the traditional friends revitalized 25 years ago the tradition to shoot with feuerstutzens and zimmerstutzens. Since the 1950s, in Germany were only held matches for air-rifle and .22 rifles. 

Nowadays we have between March and November a lot of matches in South Bavaria and Austria for feuerstutzen and zimmerstutzen. But in the region of Amberg, there are not much traditional shooters. Some ML-matches are held there, but not in traditional way.

Biggi.  Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Biggi, that is ONE GREAT PICTURE!  The formal shooting attires, the huge collection of pins on many of the hats, the age diversity and the number of lady shooters.

John Boy, yes we are a small group of ladies who shoot traditional rifles.

Last week, we had the Bavarian Traditional Championships here in Munich. And we had also a ladies ranking for the championships. 
It was a hard fight for me, to win the golden award...  Wink  Cheesy

Biggi.  Smiley

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 10:59am
Print Post  
    Biggi..congrats on winning the gold..                           feuerbixler wrote on Sep 25th, 2012 at 3:33pm:
Quote:

John Boy, yes we are a small group of ladies who shoot traditional rifles.

Last week, we had the Bavarian Traditional Championships here in Munich. And we had also a ladies ranking for the championships. 
It was a hard fight for me, to win the golden award...  Wink  Cheesy

Biggi.  Smiley

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint