Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lyman 5A scope (Read 7873 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Lyman 5A scope
Sep 17th, 2012 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
What can anyone tell me about the Lyman-marked 5-As.  I just found one looks all complete with both mounts for dovetail blocks.  I am amazed at how clear and crisp the optics and fine cross hair is. It looks to have a parallax adjust on the front optic unit but I'm not messing with it until I decide if I want to spend the $$ for it.  Exterior looks used but not abused.
Just ahead of the Lyman name is a very small 3 digit number.  Is that some sort of serial number?   How can I tell what the power is?

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lyman 5A scope
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Ought to be a 5 power, I don't have my Strobel book with me just now it gives a fairly good run down on the Lyman's.  Campbell's Low Wall books detail Winchester Production years.

Be able to give you more overnight, meantime anybody else please jump in.

Nice scopes, 

Boats

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
I have a few Lyman 5A scopes and consider them better than the Winchester A5s. As soon as Lyman used up all the inventory of Winchester stuff they redesigned the optical system and had a vendor make up more conventional Lenses. Winchester used a system designed for them that would make it very difficult to add or change anything in the Optical path. Lyman got out of that as soon as they could. Lyman quickly improved the mounts, here again as soon as they used up the Winchester inventory that came with the business. They never made any of the B5s that were really poor. well poor optically anyhow. They looked a lot like the Weaver B4 and B6 scopes when you looked thru them. The number is a serial number which makes me believe you have a Scope that is all Lyman and not Winchester leftover parts. A side note though. Years ago in a conversation with Paul Shuttleworth he noted and I quote. "The old scopes are nice to have as part of an original outfit. BUT! if you want to be competitive in today's world you need to buy modern Optics such as Supertargetspot or Unertl" I have found his sage advice to be very correct. My old scopes are neat to have but are not as good as the modern optics. HTH  Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
fwiw the little number looks like 401

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
DWS, I will check my Lymans tonight and let you know. But my memory does say the numbers were small. FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
DWS,

When Lyman bought the Winchester and Stevens scope divisions, they improved their new scopes by using Bausch & Lomb lenses. The only problem I've noticed is that the original cross hairs were a bit thick, but that can be easily corrected. Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2012 at 2:05am by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Well I went ahead and bought it.   It looks and feels solid and the cross hairs are pretty fine.   I can't get over how clear the lenses are.   I was looking at the sample MVA  John had at EG a year or so ago.  I honestly think this looks as bright.   I think the mounts (which do not click) could use a bit of cleaning and lubing.  probably try it on the Ballard
at the EG 22 shoot,  or the #2 roller, early next month.

I've been cruising the internet trying to find more about them.  Sounds like there is a lot of myth and lore about the military use of them---to say the least.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
DWS,

I looked at my A5 and the little tiny number is #2159, I think Lyman put serial numbers on most of their scopes (I'm not 100% sure). Mine does have clicks. Wink

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #8 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
DWS, I checked two Lyman 5A scopes. They both have serial numbers. So small I had to use my magnifier to see them. I have others but they are on Rifles in the safe. All the Lyman 5A scopes I have are equipped with the early 4 point mount rear mounts and the Pope rib guide for the front mount. It is these things as well as the optics that I feel make the Lyman's better than the Winchester A5s. HTH Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Dang,  I've been looking at 5-A's on some of the web sites,  Anyone interested I think I'd sell mine for a thousand bucks too Grin

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Dang,  I've been looking at 5-A's on some of the web sites, Shocked  Anyone interested?   I think I'd sell mine for a thousand bucks too Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint