Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pope cleaning Rod? (Read 7735 times)
e15cap
Ex Member

Pope cleaning Rod?
Sep 16th, 2012 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
In the latest Precision Shooting mag there is an article on the  Kimber 82 and how he modified it to use his Pope style cleaning rod. What is a Pope style cleaning rod?                         Best, Roger

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Pope cleaning Rod?
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 2:28am
Print Post  
Never heard of it. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 7:30am
Print Post  
FWIW   Ken Meyers  (QuarterBore) on the site here is making repros of some of the old original cleaning rods. I know he does a couple of the Factory ones and I'm pretty sure he does Pope's version too. PM him he may have the answer if he does not pick up on this thread.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

RJM

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 8:14am
Print Post  
I have a Pope style rod from Joe Ruth. It's 40" long, made of 3/16" piano wire. A jag is turned on one end & has a series of grooves on the other end so your hand doesn't slip. The storage case is a piece of brass tube, threaded for metal covers from tire valve stems. (Pope was a practical guy!) There's also a bore guide turned from brass that looks like a 22 case with a thicker knurled rim. When I got it, Joe said it was probably the last one he'd make. 

Regards, 
Ron

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Anybody have a photo of a Pope Rod ?  I make up some rods in my shop. Delrin Flexible and nice wood Shotgun rods, Like to try a Pope. Shotgun rods jag turned on the end of a nice Walnut dowel handled up pretty is better than screw in jags. Holds the patch good less to scratch up the barrel

I keep a real simple .22 rod trunk of my car all the time.  More than once it's helped me or somebody else out at matches. Popes sounds like a good design for that job.

Boats

IP Logged

32-35

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Here's pictures of my rod made by Joe Ruth, in partnership with the late Don Ballenger. Mine is serial number BR 18 (the "BR" is for Ballenger and Ruth). I bought this from Joe about the mid-1990's.

John Gross

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks and a nice piece of lathe work, should not be hard to do.  Any advice on 3/16 piano stock sources ?

Boats

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
I forgot they were numbered mine is  BR 22

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
I checked in MSC and the largest size is 1/8" for Music Wire. You can get 3/16" in drill rod in 36" length. I have used drill rod to make many one piece cleaning rods. If you have a lathe that has a collet set up it is easy to make a screw together rod with smooth butt joints.

ron

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Boats,
the larger hobby shops carry it for model airplane axle material, longest I've seen comes in 36" lengths, it is piano/music wire which is spring wire with a piano/music gauge size, some of it is VERY hard, most of the material for the model airplane axles is softer and can be bent to form the axle but still maintains it's flexibility/springiness, you should be able to machine it with sharp decent steel grade carbide tooling.
Mike

Grainger has the kind I use to wind coil springs with: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Straight music wire UK Model shop, should be some place in the USA: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Must say I never used 1/8" spring material, usually .010" to .047" for gun springs.

boats wrote on Sep 17th, 2012 at 3:22pm:
Thanks and a nice piece of lathe work, should not be hard to do.  Any advice on 3/16 piano stock sources ?

Boats

« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2012 at 6:49pm by MIKE-T »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
One of my music wire sources:

Another:

Frankly, however, I make them from drill rod.  Music wire has a very hard skin that is a real pain to cut on a lathe.

<div class=

IP Logged

UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Why not brass?  Strength is not an issue and it would be easier to machine plus it probably would not scratch the bore.   

Dave

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Dave, 

Brass is soft and a harder material can embed into its surface, turning it into a lap that cuts. 

I have a friend who used to pick up discarded range brass off the ground after target practice. He found some 45 ACP brass and ran it through the tumbler when he got home. The eighth case he ran through his sizer die had picked up a piece of grit that was hard enough to leave a good scratch in the dies surface, which showed up on the subsequent cases he ran through it. Now maybe consider that scratch happening in your rifle chamber each time you run the brass cleaning rod through it. 

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 7:02am
Print Post  
BP that is a very good point. How many cleaning rods does on see made from brass? That is why I like to make the ones that I make out of drill rod.

ron

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2012 at 7:26am
Print Post  
The best 22 rf cleaning rods are made from precision ground and polished, and hardened stainless spring steel that are closely matched to exact bore diameter.  They don't pick up grit and they don't flex and wobble in the bore.  Aluminum, brass and plasticized coatings on rods all can do that

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint