Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Spotting Scope Recomendation (Read 2974 times)
UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Spotting Scope Recomendation
Sep 16th, 2012 at 9:51am
Print Post  
I'm thinking of getting a new spotting scope and would like to hear other folks opinions.  The Kowa scopes seem to be one of the preferred brands but I'm open minded on brand.  Should I get a straight or angled eyepiece, zoom or fixed (I'm partial to zoom), what magnification range and finally what diameter objective?   

Thanks, 

Dave

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Re: Spotting Scope Recomendation
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Mine is an older Bushnell 15-45 with a straight eyepiece. It I were to get a new one I would go with the better Kiowa.

ron

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 11:25am
Print Post  
I have two spotting scopes, one straight older Kowa,  one angled Nikon,   Optics are about the same except the old Kowa needs an internal cleaning. Both are great scopes.   
I have always wanted to give one of the Celestron "solid-cat" terrestrial scopes a try

I think, if I was shopping for a new one, one of the major factors I'd be considering beyond sheer x-power is the resolution and the optical clarity.  However you need to consider the scope as part of an optical system

I shoot a lot of 200 yd 22 rf.  Can I see .20 holes at 200 yards?  Obviously range conditions matter a lot. With mirage or high humidity mist conditions-no scope will work prefectly 
If you don't shoot 22s and 25 at that range S.S, choices get simper.   What is your set up for the scope?  Do you shoot strictly benchrest or offhand, or do you shoot both? 
I personally do both and I find that for my use I like the angled scope more for the bench and the straight one for offhand.  but that with my bench clamp stand, with another set up the opposite might hold true.

Do you use a clamping bench stand or a small bench tripod, a free standing scope stand or tripod?
Do your range conditions give frequent wind vibrations to the scope.  a physically smaller glass heavy scope might be a little less sensitive to wind vibrations.

best suggestion is to visit a match and see what is actually in use and ask to look through participants scope when they are not actively shoting of course.  Asking to peek through a guys scope when he has 23-c going under ugly conditions might get a rude response Wink

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2012 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
I personally do both and I find that for my use I like the angled scope more for the bench and the straight one for offhand.

I have to second this statement but, if you will only have one, I think the angled would be the most convenient.

A lot depends on how much you have to invest in the scope. If your limited in what you can spend, get the best 60mm objective that you can find (there are many of them). I used a 60mm untill just resently I bought a good used angled 70mm. If you can find a good 80mm get it, it will sure help on those days that you can't find the bullet hole and that WILL happen. Make sure you get a red filter from a camera stop, too.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Before you buy a new scope, find a place that sells the Burris landmark iwth 80 mm lens. Bring a target with .22 holes and set it up at whatever distance you want, such as 200 yds and compare the Burris landmark to the others. I did not buy the Burris Landmark because it would not fit into my range box, which was one of my criteria. I bought a Nikon for $500, which is about twice the cost of the Burris Landmark. I have two shooting buddies with the Landmark and it does everything my scope does except fit into my range box. Joe S

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Buy the best 80mm scope you can afford.  Try it out, make sure the eye relief and the adjustments work for you.  Angled is a bit more versatile than straight, but if that's the only feature that is lacking and you like all the others, it might be worth getting a straight one.   

My scope is a Steiner straight eyepiece 80mm in fixed 20 power.  I got it for a good price, and except for maybe the angled eyepiece is everything I wanted or need in a scope.  I'd prefer a Swarovski angled eypiece, but for 10% of the price, the Steiner won out.

The things I would look for in a scope (I shoot outside, at ranges to 1000 yards, in windy dusty conditions, and sometimes in the rain) are in order of importance to me:

1)  80mm lens.  You can't beat good light gathering capability.  Good light gathering capability makes for a clearer picture, overall, more than any other factor.   
2)  Absolute, foolproof waterproof and dust proof.
3)  Long eye relief, that is non-critical of eye position.  This makes it easier and less fatiguing to use, and faster.
4)  Easy to use adjustments.
5)  Cost.
6)  Angled eye piece
7)  Variable power.

The least important thing is the magnification of the scope, and whether it's variable.  I'd infinitely rather have a clear picture that is small than a blurry large picture.  My 20 power Steiner will resolve images many times better than my 60 power Tasco, especially in windy, dusty, or high mirage conditions.

dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint