Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic seeking info (Read 1243 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

seeking info
Sep 13th, 2012 at 9:15am
Print Post  
I recently acquired a very nice CC Johnson marked  12-15 type Martini from Sam Lough.  I'm trying to track as much history as possible about the rifle.   It has been very nicely stocked as a position rifle with a hand-stop rail inlet into the forend
According to Jerry, His grandad's shop records show it was made in 1937 for a U. W. Barker of Springfield, Ohio on an imported action.  The shop notes indicate it was a "fit" a "#2 barrel". 
I had initially thought that might mean fitting a whole new barrel but closer examination shows clearly that it was a reline job.    

I'm not that familiar with relining but the modern liners I have seen are fairly thin walled.  This liner looks far more robust

Does anyone know anything about the old shooters in the Springfield area.  or does the name Barker ring any bells in our community?  (not Croft Barker-- JCampbells nome-d'plume)
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2012 at 6:57pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: seeking info
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Sam came up with a bit more info.  the "Barker" may have been a long time target shooter in the Springfield OH area called "Doc" Barker who was still active in the early 50's.  {obviously not to be confused with the 3rd son of "Ma Barker}) Sam got the gun from Elden Kissel in the mid '60s and Elden created the current stock
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:59pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint