Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rolling Block Question (Read 4119 times)
Kody
Participating Member

Rolling Block Question
Sep 13th, 2012 at 8:54am
Print Post  
If a RB #1 was commercially heat treated could it handle the chamber pressure of a 45-110? I've seen plenty in 45-90, I also can't find the SAMMI specs for the 45-110. Any thoughts?

-Kody

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Re: Rolling Block Question
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Save yourself lots of pain and cash by not chambering anything in a 45-110.
Many have learned the hard way and rebarreled, or rechambered or sold their rifle at a loss to rid themselves of such a caliber.

IP Logged

Kody
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 9:13am
Print Post  
I know its really obscure but I'm planning on building from scratch. My goal is to produce a RB version of the Quigley Sharps. Plus it gives me an excuse to buy new reloading equipment. I've never heard anybody complain about the 45-110, what about it don't people like?

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 10:59am
Print Post  
I've been shooting 45-110 for a couple of years now and really like the caliber with 480, 500, or 535gr bullets and BP. I know folks that have been unhappy with 45-120 but not any shooting 45-110. The only issue I can imagine would be case length. To get a loaded 2 7/8s inch case in a roller may require modification of the hammer nose. Navy Arms sold italian rollers in the late 1970s, early 80's that were chambered for the 3 inch case and the hammer noses were modified.

I would strenuously recommend against smokeless in this caliber so no need to worry about strength, just have a reputable company like  Turnbull or signal mountain do the color case hardening for you once the action and barrel have been fitted and finished and the stock work completed. 

SS
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2012 at 11:43am by SchwarzStock »  

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

Kody
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Thanks SS. You answered what woulda been my next question about the smokeless. I am aware that I would have to do some modifications cause of the case length. I plan on doing as much of the work as possible myself and I enjoy handloading. Thanks SS and KAF for of your input.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 11:46am
Print Post  
BTW: with equivalent barrels rollers tend to be a bit lighter than Sharps rifles. My 45-110 is a 15lb Sharps with a shotgun butt. Recoil is still stout, recommend you build your gun with a shotgun butt...

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

drc

Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
If ssdave will jump in here, he has done lots with rollers.

also Curt Hardcastle does very very nice work on rollers and he is on this site also.

Sometimes you need to do more mods than just the hammer nose to be able to get a longer case in.

here is a post that dealt with the exact issue

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

here is a source of wood and some ideas of what can be done with a roller

If you build the rifle to weigh in the 13.5 lb range (that is the weight of a Shiloh Nbr 1 or LRE with 34" heavy octagon barrel) then it will be pleasant to shoot. one of mine ways 13.5 and the other 14.5 lbs and I can shoot them all day

Make sure you use the widest buttplate possible.  you can pick model 70 checkered steel buttplates off eBay and sometimes you can even find one that came from a Winchester shotgun which are just a little bigger.

Use the highest comb possible (in my opinion).  IMO, the higher and straighter the buttstock, the easier it will be on you to shoot and also easier to shoot prone.

I saw one a few years back built on a smokeless roller action. the barrel was round, to match the profile of the reciever. The tang had been bent to match the pistol grip stock. It was an attractive rifle.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Track of the Wolf sells two buttplates I've used previously that will really help distribute the recoil on a heavy caliber:

I've got the 2nd one (Sharps repro) on one of my Roller rebuilds and it's a very nice plate. Have the English style on a Hepburn, and like it as well.

IP Logged

Kody
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Thanks again for everybody's help. I'm already a fan of trackofthewolf.com I've bought stuff from them before for my CVA Mountain Rifle. I'm currently stationed in Korea so I've got nothing but time and a few bucks here and there to start stocking up my parts. And of course driving my wife nuts with all the projects I've been accumulating. You are all the finest of gentlemen and God Bless You!

IP Logged

Kody
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:47am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Could this work in a RB?

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #10 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 6:51am
Print Post  
I have a military Sharps Borchardt in .45X2.6. Dont like shooting it. I like looking at it.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

drc

Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 9:24am
Print Post  
There has been only 1 black powder cartridge rifle that I didn't like shooting. It was a LoneStar roller, in the silhouette configuration, ie: pistol grip stock, double sets, actually a heavy enough barrel, in 45-90.  I fired that gun 1 (once, uno, one) time and it hurt. The stock comb was not high enough for me to get on the stock right.  I have  a couple 45-110's, a couple 45-100's a 45-90 in Sharps and CPA configurations and they are all pleasant rifles to shoot. 

There was just something about the geometry of that roller that didn't fit.  That is why I suggested the highest comb possible and configured to get the rifle recoiling straight back. 

Here is another source of stocks

Once you get that rifle built, it will make a great gong match rifle. That is where the 110 really shines. The long range shoots. (or as a hunting gun, but then you configure it different/lighter and you don't shoot it often as that wouldn't be fun).  

The 45-110 is really made for 2 things. Sitting on a hillside knocking off bison (which was ruined for us present day folks well over a 100 years ago) OR sitting/firing prone on a firing line shooting at targets 1000 yards away. There is also the matches at Lodi Wisconsin, in which case the rifle and sights can't weigh more than 15 lbs unloaded

Here is a site about long range shooting to check out

Here is a match to think about in the future after you have the rifle built

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2012 at 9:29am by drc »  

IP Logged

LTC B

Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 9:49am
Print Post  
That set trigger from Sarco is practically free.

It looks like a straight wrist, not a pistol grip?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint