Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Nation Of Riflemen? (Read 14788 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Nation Of Riflemen?
Reply #15 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 11:00am
Print Post  
In my experience the "sight it in once a year" hunters are much more likely to be unsafe than the black gun crowd.  I think this is primarily due to frequency of range visits.  The "black gun" guys seem to shoot pretty frequently and our range officers kick people out for unsafe activity so they wouldn't last long.  This time of year I see safety issues every weekend caused by hunters who seem to come to the range but once or twice a year.

Chris.

IP Logged

Set_Trigger
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Uechi wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 10:15am:
What's with the animosity towards so called black plastic guns? Those guns have kept many an American soldier alive. I love single shot rifles but I also love so called black plastic rifles. When I take my AK or my AR's to the range I do more then just dump ammo. Even if that is all I did, so what? The only important point in this discussion is treating and using firearms safely. Where I shoot we have Range Officers and when a cease fire is called they go down the line and check for safety.Anybody that can't or won't follow instructions is asked to leave.

Uechi,
You have been here long enough that you should know that some of the members here are still shooting "lead bullets" please don't expect them to accept plastic guns.

I don't think they had plastic back in the days of lead bullets so please don't forget that this forum is all about shooting old guns with lead bullets, not plactic guns, bullets with jackets on them, or camo stuff. If you keep up that kind of talk you will have J. Louis on your back, and that's not a good thing  Wink   Grin
  S T

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
The once-a-year hunter and tat/piercing/camo crowd are both about the same. When they show up I generally move to a safer range (thankfully, they tend towards the plinking & pistols ranges at my club). Find that anyone taking the effort to compete (with any rifle/pistol) is serious about their shooting, including safety. And, by-and-large, a great group of people (both male and female), regardless of age.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
No plastic guns? 

Does that mean the use of bedding compound is banned? 

Yep, those who shoot black plastic are as good as PETA members.       Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 2:40pm:
No plastic guns? 

What about those of us who occasionally use LDPE wads in our single shot rifles Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Bad idea no wad is best practice.

Boats

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 4:28pm:
Bad idea no wad is best practice.

Boats

They really work well for bore diameter paper patched bullets though.  The plastic feels wrong but it sure works well.

Chris.

IP Logged

Set_Trigger
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 2:40pm:
No plastic guns? 

That kind of plastic is ok BP, you can "hide" it in the bedding of the stock, like you can hide a barrel tuner by using a big enough for-end  Grin
  S T

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Not to worry Set_Trigger, been thinking about polished stainless, polished aluminum and a candy apple red synthetic stock with black, gray and white ghost flames for my CPA. The stock will be the original Model 52 design, it will just add little additional character to it to separate it from the rest of the crowd.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
I think that is less of a question about what you shoot, it is more of a question of how you shoot. We have all been at a range, and have seen someone empty a mag as fast as possible. What was their purpose? Every shooting discipline that I know about, requires hitting your target.  Some people dwell on firepower and cammies, but don't seem to support gun groups ie: NRA, State Assn, ASSRA or the like. I would like to see those people take an interest in improving shooting skills and protecting gun rights.  I would invite them to join the rest of us. 
Kurt

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Some of the competitive events require rapid fire and that discipline needs to be practiced as well as the slow fire events for one to become extremely competitive. It might not make since to those who are not in the know and the same would hold true with what we do.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Sep 12th, 2012 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
I actualy have an AR15 that I have for coyotes. I have had instances where there are several of them at one time and find a fully loaded high capacity magazine comforting. Rapidly emptying a magazine full of ammo is also fun on occasion. My single shot Stevens are still my favorite guns for serious shooting though.

IP Logged

Set_Trigger
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 12:17am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 5:38pm:
Not to worry Set_Trigger, been thinking about polished stainless, polished aluminum and a candy apple red synthetic stock with black, gray and white ghost flames for my CPA. The stock will be the original Model 52 design, it will just add little additional character to it to separate it from the rest of the crowd.
J.Louis

Good for you J. Louis, you will fit right in with the Bolt Gun bunch, you know, the ones with the fiber glass stocks all painted up like a, well you know, what ever you do don't let them guys know that under the paint it's a wood stock, tell them it's fiber glass and they will accept you with open arms.  Cheesy

Me, I like a good chunk of Walnut and blued steel.
  S T

IP Logged

Kermit1945
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
I might feel better if they looked like this:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

If they paid this kind of money, they might get used differently too.

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #29 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
The black rifle guys are OK as far as I am concerned. The more people that own AK-47s and AR-15s the more people are motivated to vote for the Second Amendment. The more people who are interested in shooting the better. Eventually, some of them will want more accuracy and who knows where that will end. I do not own an AK or an AR 15 but I know plenty of people that do and many are very good shooters and good sportsmen besides. Furthermore, the art of military rifle shooting, such as High power, is very competitive, so I see nothing wrong with the military rifles. I have a GSG STG 44 on order and cant wait to get it so I can do some rapid fire blasting once in a while just for a change of pace.  Just my opinionl fwiw! Joe S

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint