Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Redfield 3200 on Uberti Low Wall ?? (Read 5083 times)
Brudford01

Redfield 3200 on Uberti Low Wall ??
Sep 10th, 2012 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Any issues with mounting a Redfield 3200 on a Uberti Low Wall ?? I know it has internal adjustments , however it does look more period correct at least to me than a purely modern 2012 scope . Might just use weaver bases and either shim the front or grind down the back base to compensate for the barrels slight narrowing towards the muzzle .

IP Logged

MT Chambers

Re: Redfield 3200 on Uberti Low Wall ??
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2012 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
The redfield 3200s are a very large scope, with the 1" tube and all and would look oversized on my lowwall.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2012 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
If looks are important yu could sell the 3200 for about what a MVA B5 cost.  Lot more suited to a Low Wall.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I have several external adjustments none look as right on the 1885 as a B5

Boats

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2012 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
I have 2 3200s and a 6400.  they ARE relatively large scopes and I found that they looked out of proportion and top heavy on smaller frame rifles.   when they are good they are really nice, but  .  .  .  .   
One of my 3200s has gotten wonky  and needs repairs-----and Redfield repairs on the older scopes like this seems to be a bit of a problem,  the horizontal adjust to the right  only has about half the movement it should,  it keeps slicking but the cross hairs stop moving.   Even when working properly I question whether the clicks are really precisely repeatable---maybe mine are just worn.

There is debate just how "tradishunal" they are.  I know I only use them on my more modern rifles Rugers.   Even though my Unertls may be newer built they look better on my older rifles that I shoot in the ASSRA "traditional class"

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Brudford01

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies , I agree the 3200 is a large scope . I looked at the MVA's still close to a 1,000.00$ . Out of my budget . I found a Unertl scope for 695.00 $ A varmit model with standard rings and has the spring recoiler . Very nice condition . It appears to be a little smaller than the Redfield and would be more period correct . I handled Leatherwood's repro of the Malcom and the scope is good but the rings are just junk . This made me a little concerned about external adjusted scopes that is why I considered the 3200 . However after actulally handling the Unertl it just screams old American quality .

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 11:19am
Print Post  
The MVA B5 is a lot less than $1000.  I recently bought one for my CPA and I'm really happy with it. I don't recall the price but I think it was around $600 or so, definitely cheaper than the MVA Malcolm style scopes.   

Chris.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 11:32am
Print Post  
MVA B5's are 550 or 600 depending on the knobs. 

Low walls were equipped from the factory with Winchester A5's and B5's which became Lyman B5's when Winchester got out of the scope business. The MVA is exact copy every single thing.

I have Couple of Unertls. 12x Target 10 X Varmint and 10x Lyman/Parsons STS.  All make the Low Wall top heavy. Redfields are even larger. I will say my 12x 1 1/2 inch Unertl target was my first External Adjustment Scope and probably the last one I would sell.

695 is high for a Unertl Varmint though. If it has de-horned mounts they are the least expensive Unertl's  My 10X Varmint W Target knobs without parallax adjustment was just over 400 bought at a match. De Horned about 50-100 dollars less is what I would expect. Long range on actual varmint rifles you don't need parallax adjustment, Target range or Rimfires it's essential.

600 ought to bring a nice Unertl 1 1/2 inch Target 12x  Lower or higher power is always priced higher.  Only thing is it's going to be 40-50 years old so stand ready for possible issues.  

I avoid Chinese optics. Nothing against China just not good value for the money considering re-sale potential.   Some like the Leatherwoods and they may be fine. Just don't spend Unertl MVA or Lyman money for them.

All this one man's opinion, take it for what it cost.

Boats

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Boats,

When Lyman purchased the Winchester scope line, they switched the WRA A5 designation to 5A. 

Lyman did get the remaining Winchester scope parts inventory, so if you are ever looking at an old WRA A5 scope and you see a serial number on it, it was assembled by Lyman using the old Winchester parts stock. 

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Thks I get them mixed up unless I pull the book out and look.  Also they made 3's and 4's with the same B or A prefix.

No doubt they are not as sophisticated as newer scopes like Unertls and Lyman STS, but useful little scopes non the less.  Anything older is not as functional. Newer externals had many refinements

Boats

IP Logged

Brudford01

Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Boats , Nice picture . I called MVA today and they stated that the B5 scope was still not put on their website because it is a fairly new product . They are going to mail me out a catalog . I cannot tell fron your pic but please tell me the knobs and rings are better than what comes on the Malcom Leatherwood from China  ? Is the MVA all US made  ? I was told by MVA that the best B5 with the long range adjustments is currently 650.00$ Did not know they offered a scope in that price range . Thanks

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
MVA's knobs are top notch easy to read the micrometer. However like originals they don't click held in place by friction.   This is required in some of the NRA SShot Scope matches, no clicks allowed.

In practice it's easy to set the elevations + windage and settings stay put, you just have to look when adjusting instead of feeling clicks.

Two types of knobs also just like originals, one simpler with hash marks only, one full numbered micrometer. I started with the simple knob but upgraded to the mic later. Parallax adjustment is precise optics are very good.

Made in Montana whole thing. As good as scope as my Unertl's or Parsons/Lyman STS.  Real difference is the design is from earlier period than the Unertls and Lymans. Same period as the Low Wall.  Grasshopper spring elevation instead of internal spring in the mount.

Not to sound like a MVA Salesman but have had a few of there products always pleased.  Also have had a few old external adjustment scopes that cost more than I though due to unforeseen repair cost.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint