Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) High wall with one piece stock (Read 8134 times)
Sendaro
Oldtimer

When the sight is on SEND
IT!

High wall with one piece stock
Sep 4th, 2012 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Ever seen a high wall with a one piece stock. On the bottom of the barrel the gunsmiths name and address is Hartung and Pomeroy Ohio. It goes on to say 22 Hawker Test rifle for small Arms Research. Found a photo in C. S. Landis's book Woodchucks and Woodchuck Rifle of a rifle that is damn near a dead ringer for this one. In the book it is Eric Farr of NJ who did the one piece stock. The barrel has been re-bored and rifled to 30 cal and the chamber is 30-30 Ackley Improved. Taking a look with the bore scope it appears to be hand lapped and in near unfired condition. The barrel is in contact with the stock but the action is free floating. The trigger is single set. plan to get a set of die and give this odd old gal a try. Would like to find a bullet mold for a flat base 30 cal around 165 to 180 grains That way I may be able to try both fixed and breach seated loads. Barrel is drilled and tapped for Unertl blocks. Looks like my 12X Unertl will be installed for the testing.

IP Logged

EricJ

Re: High wall with one piece stock
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 4:02am
Print Post  
Did someone replace the breech block with a Mann-Neider type firing pin?  The block doesn't have the typical retaining pin through the top it looks like.   
Eric

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 7:40am
Print Post  
I don't know if the breach block has been replaced. I do know that the tangs were shortened. I could post more photos that may help answer the question. Interesting chapter in Landis's book that is written by Eric Farr where he tells the why for of the one piece stock on the high wall. Also in Landis's book there is information about the smith named HARTUNG and a wildcat cartridge of his he called the 22 HAWKER. It appears to have been a variation of the 219 Zipper Improved. Photos in the same book show other high wall rifles that HARTUNG worked with the same lever configuration.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Early breechblocks had a retaining pin come in from the left side.  Bob

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Just found this wall for sale by Jim Goergen.  Another one piece stock.  Bob

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
A fellow BR shooter at my home club has one very similar although heavier proportions in a 219 Zipper Imp.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Greetings to all,

If you are wondering why I haven't been on the ASSRA forum much since Thanksgiving, I was rushed to the hospital that morning and had two major surgeries. Very lucky to be alive. The recoup time they tell me is around 6 months or more. 
  I now have a bullet mold on the way for this rifle. After test firing this rifle with some cast bullets given to me by Dale Reynolds I was shocked to see how well it preformed. So I ordered a bullet mold. Didn't expect to get sick or that it would take this long to get well. I guess none of us do. However the good Lord has left me here for some reason that I hope to fulfill it to his satisfaction, and maybe squeeze in a little shooting with this interesting old rifle.
   It would be interesting to see just how many more of these rifles start to turn up. The one that I have shoots very well with both jacketed and cast bullets.

Sendaro

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
John

Just because I tried the hospital hotel a couple of times lately wasn't an invitation for you to try it.  I don't recommend the accommodations.  I wish you a speedy recovery.  I was wondering why you haven't expressed an opinion or two on the projects I created for my self.  I am not trying to accomplish much of anything, just trying to do something!!

Don G

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Don,

Hope that you are doing better after all that you went through with your surgeries.
    Have not had a lot of ambition after the hospital stay. Want to do things but remain weak and get tired very easy. They tell me it's going to be like that for a while. They say 4 to 6 months or more.
     Want to get going on this rifle project, but it will have to wait a few more weeks at least. 
     Have to order a breach seating tool for this rifle, start casting bullets in my new Jim Borton bullet mold. Jim really make a nice mold!

Sendaro

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 11:45am
Print Post  
OT - but: health is a fragile thing. One minute you are good and the next not so good.
Due to diverticulitis I went from a hemoglobin of 16.5 to 10 in about an hour; and this
was 50 mi from a hospital as I was hunting with family. The bleed was fortunate...eh you say but it led to discovery of renal cell cancer. It took about 2.5 mo just to get my hemoglobin back up so they could do surgery. Then, of course, the usual don't lift over 5 lbs, etc for weeks. 
Stay well and enjoy life. 

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Personally, I like the firing pin retained with a pin. Makes for a much cleaner breechblock. Of course, that makes replacing the firing pin a bit more fuss. Can't win them all.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint