Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) From Etna Green (Read 7232 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

From Etna Green
Aug 31st, 2012 at 11:01am
Print Post  
decent weather so far,  warm and typical EG winds,  some serious shooting being done--(very not by me Embarrassedwinds is little too twisty and flickery for 22 rf @ 200 yards)  I've been told that several 250s were shot yesterday but have it seen them yet.   Pretty full house most benches are in use but some of the guys will be leaving so there will be turnover.  someone  can use mine---it not being used well anyway.   Lots of nice stuff available and being traded too.  probably get some shower activity tomorrow and sunday but nothing problematic, unless you are a paper target, or something that will melt when it gets wet.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: From Etna Green
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
just got home, from the Fall Match.  ONe of the biggest and best matches I've seen in a long time.  Great turn out; (but a few to many good shooters for me to win or even place in the 22 matches I shot Sad ) The weather was "interesting" but not unmanageable. The pre-event forecasts were a bit ominous but all we got was a few showers that didn't slow the shooting.  I think a few folk may have stayed away because of that, but even so almost all the benches were full, but no one who wanted to shoot had to wait   
Lots of neat stuff one the "tables" to buy and trade.

At least one new ASSRA record was set.  I imagine the scores will be posted in a day or two.    I'm really looking forward to the last match of the year in about 4 weeks--- the Fall 22 RF only match.   If you enjoy shooting the 22 rfs ASSRA style at 100 and 200 yards  its not an event to miss.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
DW thank you so much for taking the time to keep us up to par on what was going on at the match, good stuff for sure.

Do you re-call you might have set a new record, distance, match, equipment etc.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Yeah---but I ain't telling.. Grin It needs to be done official like.  but I'll say it is a 200 yarder, official ASSRA records, shot in competition, lots of wittnesses. 
I will say that it is a REAL accomplishment especially in the conditions on the Etna Green range and that we are one step closer to a really significant record---just a little ways to go. 
It's a record  that I were so lucky to break it, I'd go out and spend every last penny I could beg borrow or steal to buy lottery tickets.

Oh and there is a little kink to it that makes it really interesting.

How's that for a teaser? Wink

Seriously it needs to be done officially I think. and I may get my wrist politely slapped for letting the cat even a little way out of the bag

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
DW I volunteer to take the blame!

I love extreme accuracy and now you have me sitting on the edge of my seat in anticipation of hearing about all of the specifics. 

Those records don't come easy and when one sets one there is no luck involved. It is a good exhibition on the ultimate in marksmanship and well deserved.

There is allot going through one's mind from the first shot to the last and to be able to hold it all together in between is no easy chore.

J.Louis

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
for ME it'd be luck,  pure dumb luck Cool

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 8:23am
Print Post  
There is also another affiliated clubs record target which was submitted at the match and which looks like it will also surmount previous efforts.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Kenny you're being as mean as me Cheesy

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Scores are posted and no mention of a possible new record or two. When is the cat going to be let out of the bag.

J.Louis

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
We are waiting for the "Keeper of the keys" to the official ASSRA record vault to arrive.   We also need to announce the winner of the ASSRA raffle rifle as well.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
OK check the scores again, The cat is now loose.   Congratulations to Laurie Gapko, the new ASSRA world record holder in the22 rf, 200 yd benchrest, single entry. He racked up a very impressive 245 / 8 centers. And he shot it with a traditional rifle/scope with fiocchi ammo.  
The previous record was Charlie Persons' 245 /6   The numerical scores are the same but Laurie got 2 more centers.   
I really think that if it had not been for the nasty-tricky very light 6 o'clock winds Laurie might have cleared the table.   He was really in the zone on that one. 
  I fully expect to see the 250 in that event in the near future,  we have the guys with the talent and the right tools to do it.  I think it is a matter of someone mastering the conditions.  Target 22 rimfire ammo @ 200 yards it really at the mercy of the elements--not near as much momentum and BC as our centerfire ammo.
I have not shot on many other ranges, and certainly not in competition. I imagine each range has its own quirks of location and topography that drive local conditions.  I don't know how many of the members have shot at Etna Green but I KNOW that the conditions there are enough to max-out the patience of a whole tribe of Jobs.    If you want to try yours out, join us for the upcoming Fall 22 rf only match and give rimfires @200 yards a try---you can even shoot a 200 yd rimfire Hudson.  (and we do have a large range of regular individual matches @ 100 yards----the 100 yard backers are nice to take the frustration out on)

Once again a real tip o'the topper to Laurie
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2012 at 7:05am by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

IP Logged

wcf3840
Senior Forum Member

ASSRA Life #299

Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
I was shooting on the bench right next to Laurie. Same match, too. He found the sweet spot! I didn"t. But it is nice to be next to greatness. My heartiest congratulations to Laurie.

GTalk  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 5th, 2012 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Outstanding performance, Congratulations Laurie.

Thanks for the update DW, I have been seating on the edge of my seat since the 2nd and now I can make up for some lost sleep.

J.Louis

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2012 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Indeed........ congratulations to Laurie. Way to go. 
And, a big "thank you" for the help he has given to me (and others, am sure) in finding parts for one of my Low Wall builds and bullet casting.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Congratulations to Laurie.

Good for you - there's nothing like a new National Record to get our collective blood pumping.

Wow!

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint