Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Commercial lead solvent? (Read 8189 times)
waddy
Ex Member

Commercial lead solvent?
Aug 31st, 2012 at 9:06am
Print Post  
I'm new to the forum, and have used all my "Search" foo attempting to find what shooters use for lead removal in the barrel. I did find one poster who used a home made mixture of xylene and tolulene and found that it worked well. I am wondering if there is a commercial lead removal solvent type product available that actually works. I am familiar with the Lewis Lead Remover, JB Compound, etc. Just looking for a good solvent product, if one is available. There are so many cleaning products available it seems a daunting and expensive prospect to try them all. Many of the products seem mainly designed to clean out your wallet. Roll Eyes. Thanks for the expertise in this fine forum, I am happy to have found it. This is my first post, but just reading the forum has saved me a lot of grief with my Browning/Winchester Hi Wall.

IP Logged

deadwooddick

Re: Commercial lead solvent?
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:40am
Print Post  
New to BP shooting, but I've found "gum turpentine" to be useful when using tight fitting patches and/or bronze wool (for scrubbing).

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:46am
Print Post  
I don't have any leading problems with my two CPA's.  32/40 & 38/55 good bores well fitted bullets cast soft 1/25. All they take is a spray of JB few patches come out complety clean.  I do deal with leading in my Revolvers and Lever actions. Solutions are different.

Two S&W 625 45 ACP moonclip revolvers get heavy use in IDPA matches including rapid fire.  Hard store bought lead bullets that can't fit the leade cause they have to drop in the chambers for fast reloads. Everything is smooth cylinders forcing cone and barrel.
I spray those guns with Balistol and let them sit overnight. Lead melts away with a few bronze brush strokes.

Levers with rough bores get lead build up on rust spots, Trapdoor same thing.  Only thing thats ever removed lead well for me in rough bores is Balistol overnight. Then brushing with Steel wool wound into the bronze brush, finish tight patch charged with J-B

Balistol is about the right combination of effective nontoxic. JB abrasive cuts but not rough like more aggressive compounds, and mild steel wool when needed.

Boats

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Although it's not a lead solvent, a few patches soaked in Kroil alternated with reasonably tight dry patches has worked whenever I've had a case of leading.

Chris.

IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Boats,   spray JB.   do you mean spray balistol??

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Caught me, mean spray Balistol, wipe with JB

Kroll is the go to for any hard job but never had a lead job that needed it.

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Hoppes and steel wool on a tight patch. #3 or #4

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
I thought someone would have mentioned ... Iosso Bore Cleaner
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Quote:
Iosso Bore Cleaner removes copper, lead, carbon burn, powder fouling, plastic wad residue, and surface rust

For regular deep cleaning  or lead removal (in addition to pure gum turpentine) ... Iosso is my go to cleaner

Another lead remover (overnight soaking) is Eezox 

Boats, are you aware that the primary chemical in Ballistol is plain mineral oil?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
I have found ISSO to be to abrasive unlike JB.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 2:45am
Print Post  
Quote:

JB Bore Cleaner, or JB Bore Bright? 

The bore cleaner is described as being mildly abrasive, while the bore bright is mentioned to be used between shot strings.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

waddy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
My main problems come from lead bullets in pistols and revolvers, 1911, .357 Mag, .44 Mag. I have a large supply of lead for each caliber but have mostly quit shooting it because I hate to have to scrub out the lead. I have heard both good and bad things about Ballistol, but I will sure give it a try.

I was just sure that someone would come up with a "magic" concotion that would vaporize the lead out of the barrels on the way home simply after uttering the appropriate incantation. Grin Not true?? Cry

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Waddy, if such a magical potion existed the inventor would probably become rich overnight. Sad to say such a critter does not exist. Many products exist to remove leading. I've used the cloth patches impregnated with some secret chemical (lead away??) that seems to do a good job when a small piece is wrapped around the bristles of a well fitting bore brush. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Quote:
John, I was at Connecticut Shotgun on day and talked with their gunsmith about ISSO and it's abrasiveness. He told me that's what they use on the guns in their store.  If they use ISSO on high dollar rifles & shotguns, that was good enough for me.  So I bought some and have been using it ever since

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 7:00am
Print Post  
That situation only answer is solvent, any solvent, let it sit overnight then use abrasive.  How aggressive depends on the individual gun, from JB to Steel Wool.

The revolvers will lead at the Forcing cones. I have made up at least a dozen short cleaning rods for guys with fixed handles, they don't rotate.  Wrap the steel wool around a brush push it to the forcing cone only, past the rifling poking inside the open frame. Then twist until it comes clean.

You might want to look at that lead. If it's fairly soft and has very little antimony it should clean right out.  If range scrap or anything that's been on a car's wheel best get rid of it.

Boats

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #14 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 7:50am
Print Post  
waddy I have used the Lewis Lead remover since the 1960's (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and it has never failed to get the lead out of my handgun cylinders/barrels even used it on my various 1911's, plus my S&W M52 and even 12ga shotgun barrels when I used the old {Cheap} soft shot for hunting, have never damaged or scratched a barrel in all the years I've used them and it is FAST and easy. Brownell's handles them and I'm sure that midway has them also. Recently purchased the  MONTANA X-TREME COWBOY LEAD SOLVENT and has worked well for minor leading along with their Nylon/Brass core brushes in my BP rifle barrels after getting the charcoal out (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) .

Good luck, Mike

Quote:
My main problems come from lead bullets in pistols and revolvers, 1911, .357 Mag, .44 Mag. I have a large supply of lead for each caliber but have mostly quit shooting it because I hate to have to scrub out the lead. I have heard both good and bad things about Ballistol, but I will sure give it a try.

I was just sure that someone would come up with a "magic" concotion that would vaporize the lead out of the barrels on the way home simply after uttering the appropriate incantation. Grin Not true?? Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint