Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Commercial lead solvent? (Read 8196 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Commercial lead solvent?
Reply #15 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 8:52am
Print Post  
I have used a funny looking yellow waxy feeling lead removal cloth product for at least 40 years. Mine is currently locked in the tool box in the camper so I don't know what the name or MFG is.  I think it was called "lead wipe-away" or something like that. It was used by revolver shooters to wipe cylinder gap and magna-port  flash deposits. I have no idea what is in it.  It comes sealed in a plastic bag I have bought several over the years.  I open the bag cut a patch and then seal it back up.  I use the patch with a pretty tight jag and it usually wipes it right out in a pass or too--if the bore is decent.   
I have also used the brass wire Lewis Lead Remover patches and finer grades of steel wool wound on an old brass bore brush

On a leaded pitted bore one old trick was to cork up a couple ounces of mercury in it and then slosh it back and forth for a couple times every day.  After a few days of this uncork it and pour the HG back into the storage container and it will take the lead with it.  Not sure of the chemical or mechanics of it---but it works.  Of course we all know that HG is toxic, like lead is, or maybe a little more so, and its probably a federal offense to own nowadays so I doubt that anyone has any on hand, but if they did  .  .  .  .  . Roll Eyes

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Sep 4th, 2012 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Mercuryis no more toxic than any other heavy metal----BUT its oxides and salts are. Handling the metal is OK, but don't ingest any dust floating on it.
Fred

IP Logged

jlmurphy
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Sep 8th, 2012 at 12:48am
Print Post  
Chore Boy is a coarse copper wool ball used to scrub pots, wrapped around a bronze bore brush it takes the lead out from my 1911 barrels in about 60 seconds, no chemicals, very fast.

IP Logged

waddy
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 8th, 2012 at 7:02am
Print Post  
The mentions of Mercury gave me a chuckle! Those of us no longer allowed to light all the birthday candles on our cake because of the fire danger will most likely remember "playing" with Mercury every chance we got. Remember turning pennies into "dimes"?

Many thanks for all the replies. I hope I offended no one by asking about handguns in this forum. I just knew there would be a lot of experience here shooting lead bullets, and the worst leading I have ever experienced was from shooting very hot loads with bare based lead bullets in my Winchester/Browining Hi Wall. Embarrassed Thanks again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint