Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Keep That Screw TIGHT - Lesson Learned (Read 4582 times)
John Boy
Ex Member

Keep That Screw TIGHT - Lesson Learned
Aug 29th, 2012 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Last week was at the range with a 32-40 CPA and a 12X Fecker.  I couldn't hold a group to save my life.  I quit after trying with 35 BS rounds at 100yds running the elevation setting up and down.  

Yesterday, took the barrel off in preparation of sending the receiver & forearm to Paul for new 38-72 and 40-65 barrels.

The hex head barrel locking screw was better than a 3/4 turn loose before I even started to loosen it.  No wonder the groups were pitiful!  Lesson learned!

IP Logged

rhbrink

Re: Keep That Screw TIGHT - Lesson Learned
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 8:24am
Print Post  
I learned another loose screw lesson on the CPA action. I was shooting my 38-55 working up some offhand loads for some 100 shooting and all of a sudden I started shooting vertical groups. I'm talking about 10 to 12 inch groups at 100 yards of a bench. This load had been preforming real well with 10 holding under one inch all day long. I could not figure out what happened so went home pulled some bullets powder and everything was right. As I was cleaning the rifle I noticed the screw that holds the hammer was turning as I cocked the hammer back. I would have thought that would not have made that much difference so the next time at the range I made sure that screw was tight checking every 4 or 5 shots and makes all the difference in the world. The finial solution was to back the screw out a bit exposing some threads in the action and puting a drop of lock-tight on the threads and running the screw back in, no more problems.

Richard

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:57am
Print Post  
The top tang screws are another culprit for backing out due to the tapered cabinet screw used for attaching the butt stock to the action. The fix is to pickup a couple of course tread straight shank screws / no taper with a blunt end and the problem is solved. I have seen Steve Durren make them out of lag screws an easy approach to the problem if one has a lathe. I dug around in the safe and found two straight shanked course thread screws holding the butt plate on a Winchester Model 69 that were a perfect fit so I just swapped them for the CPA tapered screws. In regards to the barrel coming loose I wrap the threads with Teflon plumbers tape and have never had a problem with the barrel coming loose and it also seems to take up any slack in the mating surfaces of the threads. In regards to the hammer screw I have not had an issue but if one does not like to use Loctite you can wrap the threads with some of the wife's sewing thread and that will solve the problem as well and the screw removal at a later date will not be an issue.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
John Lewis,

If you use the mild blue loctite #242, it will hold the screw, but the blue still allows easy disassembly with normal tools and without any application of heat as is often needed if you have used the red loctite.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
I totally agree BP the blue is easy to work with and very user friendly. I lived on a dairy for two years back in 1965 and 66 with an uncle that might have pre-dated Loctite. We had a feed wagon that was used daily and all of the nuts and bolts holding the cross feed angles that moved the feed forward into the beater head and conveyor belt that had to be tightened weekly, of which was quite an extensive ordeal. He had this saying if there is a will there is a way so he got into my aunts sewing box and we wrapped all of the bolt threads with sewing thread and the problem was solved long term. It is one of those tricks I wanted to pass on as it does come in handy for other uses that one might encounter down the road.

J.Louis

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Stuff works loose all the time. Have to stay after it. I find on threads I need to take in and out little grease helps it go tighter. Particularly on Alloy bolts.  Less friction lets it snug up tighter.

That CPA hammer screw comes loose often. Too tight binds the hammer. Rather than loctite it I put some beeswax on the thread sticks just enough.

Boats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
I am finding the hammer screw interesting as I have heard the same thing happening to three different people in the same month. Prior to this conversation I have never heard of anyone having the problem. 

J.Louis

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen - thanks kindly for your CPA experiences and recommendations.  I thought I'd be the only one that 'had a loose screw' Grin

Am going to print off the screws and put it in the rifle case as a Check List of To Do's before I pull the trigger.

All along, this being the 1st real BS shoot using the Fecker ... was the problem the ammo or was it the scope?  Thanks Again - Lesson Learned, Plus More

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
John Boy you would also be very well served to epoxy bed the butt stock to the action. The road to the very best in accuracy is one of eliminating variables, each time you eliminate one it can no longer be a part of the problem. Also make sure that your forend does not make contact with the face of the action.

J.Louis

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Funny thing about the hammer screw is my 93xxx action works loose.  96xxx action it never comes loose.  It may be the hammer fit on the screw, drags back on one not the other. Can't see any difference in the way the screws go through the action.

No matter little something on the thread keeps it tight. Any machine is going to have it's individual quirks long as you know what they are things work well.

Boats

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
John, every SS in the safe has the forearm shaved the width of a playing card from the receiver. Only rifles I've bedded the stocks are the turn bolts.  Should get in gear with the SS's too.
My 1st BPCR was the H&R Buffalo Classic with the 38-55 barrel too.  Used to hang around the Graybeard H&R and before the 1st range test with the 45-70, did this free floating trick:
* (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

When I went to the range, after getting vernier settings at 100 & 200, had 5 rounds left.  So I went over to the the 600yd range.  Put 153 MOA on the vernier and shot a 2.5 x 7.75" group with 3 holes one could cover with a silver dollar in the 7 ring!  Luck or results from the trick, don't know but the start of my SS BPCR journey! 
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2012 at 6:05pm by »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
I love the innovation of the O-Ring. It is those seemingly small things that we do that can make a big difference at the target. Extreme is accuracy is the elimination of variables and when we have eliminated all of them remarkable things start to happen. 

Thank you so much for sharing your story John Boy it was highly appreciated on my behalf.

J.Louis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint