Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sharps Borchardt and cocking plates (Read 2664 times)
Tentman

Sharps Borchardt and cocking plates
Jul 8th, 2012 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Hello Folks
Actions that use cocking plates . . . like a Sharps Borchardt, how smooth are these, I’m down in New Zealand and I’ve never been able to examine an example.  I’d love to know how they “feel” to cycle compared with say a Flat-spring Highwall.

Thanks

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Re: Sharps Borchardt and cocking plates
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2012 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Hello Tentman,

I have a Borchardt and work on them on occasion, all have been quite smooth through the cycle of opening and closing the action. I can not say my HW is any smoother, my Borchardt is fitted a little tighter than any of my Winchesters and would not say I have a real preference. The Borchardt is a strong and interesting action, my only complaint is that there is no true caming action when the block is raised, only the bevel or radius on the top front edge of the breech block. I think every single shot shooter should have at least one in the safe to play with.

SSS

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2012 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Foster my Borchardt that AL Story did was just click,click and smooth as silk. Whitey

IP Logged

zrifleman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 1:14am
Print Post  
Mine are all originals. They work very smooth. Why would you need camming action on a Borchardt? No comparison for strength between a Borchardt and a Highwall. A Highwall will stretch and rattle apart long before a Borchardt.

IP Logged

MAD MIKE
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
     ....and if you breech seat, the only problem is I have to use a wad or I wind up dumping some powder in the chamber (floral wad seems to work best).   ...MIKE...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint