Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bertram brass annealing??? (Read 11550 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Bertram brass annealing???
Jun 12th, 2012 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
I just received my first (of 3) boxes of Bertram 9.5x47R brass from Graf's

I know that in the past Bertram brass had a reputation for splitting, at least in the smaller cases.    This is a short-bodied long necked nominal 35 cal case based on a 11mm mauser-type case.  The neck and shoulder combined are nearly the same length as the body.  I am concerned with case failure and am wondering if Bertram has solved their problem or if I need to anneal the cases myself. These case do not show any discoloration in the neck or shoulder that I associate with annealing.

Do Bertram cases split in the neck, the shoulder or the body?   
I know there are different methods of annealing used by members.  I have been shooting and reloading for close to 50 years and never had to anneal a case---yet.   I am trying to understand how much of the case needs to be annealed.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Bertram brass annealing???
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 12:00am
Print Post  
If you notice, most domestic brass is anealed back to the shoulder area. I'd recomend that you try that first with ten or less. Shoot them a few times each and see how it goes.

From how your discribing the neck and shoulder, I wouldn't go to much farther back w/o standing the base in water.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 8:02am
Print Post  
With the short body that makes sense, but how do I get an even heat?  Some methods call for holding and twirling the case with your fingers to get even heat.  Or is it even really neccessary since brass is a pretty efficient conductor?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 8:31am
Print Post  
DW I get my lead pot up to casting temperature, lightly lube the inside of neck so the alloy does not stick, insert the case to the desired depth until it gets to hot to hold, then drop it on a damp rag and roll it around. Using this process makes it virtually impossible to over anneal of which can become extremely dangerous.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 8:52am
Print Post  
With a propane torch and in low light, hold the rim with the thumb & index finger.  Spin (rotate) the case with the flame at the seating depth of the bullet until the brass turns a dark straw or bluish green color.  The color indicates the brass has been heated to 625 - 650 degrees.  Air cool the brass 

Unlike steel, which will be made harder when it is cooled rapidly, brass is virtually unaffected when it is rapidly cooled. Annealing brass and suddenly quenching it in water will have no measurable effect on the brass

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 9:25am
Print Post  
These seem like the 3 main methods used.  I even spent time on the Google/Ask search engines trying to understand it better.  Once you weed out the ads.  About 90% of the sites that linked to are shooter-related.   
{  I found one from a brass casting outfit but it was so technical that my non-math oriented brain locked up midway through the first paragraph, one was from a bell-founder another from a custom trumpet builder---fascinating but irrelevant.}
Friend Keith Foster just sent me a link that looks really informative, though the machine looks pricey unless you have to anneal a whole lot of brass on a regular basis.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Which brings up another issue.  How often DO you have to re-anneal the necks?

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 11:51am
Print Post  
It is true that brass does not harden when quenched, so you can either air cool or quench---whichever suits you. I made a little turntable which sits in an old dish, full of water up to about a quarter of an inch above the turntable. I stand the dases on the turntable, heat with a propane torch while rotating to even out the heating and when hot (green flame), I tip the cases into the water with a screwdriver.
Brass work hardens and needs to be annealed after each deep-drawing process. Bertram do not appear to anneal after the final draw, leaving the case mouth hard and brittle. I have some .300 Sherwood cases which have been reloaded about 25 times after the first anneal and have yet to have one split.
Fred

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 11:57am
Print Post  
My Bertram cases split right in the middle on my .25-21 brass. Necks never split. They appeared to be annealed from the discoloration, but not far enough down the sidewall to prevent splitting.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

oldbluelight
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Re frequency: I'm shooting black powder in 45-70 and 40-65 and I anneal after each firing to make sure the cases fully expand and provide a good seal to the chamber with the relatively low pressures involved with black powder. Consistent neck tension is also important and always firing an annealed case assures that. So the answer to how often will depend on the purpose you have in mind. Extending case life - perhaps every 5 to 10 loadings depending on cartridge intensity and resizing method (neck v full length); removing  variables that can affect accuracy when using BP -- every firing. 
I use a Lee Power Trimmer shell holder chucked in a cordless drill to hold the case spinning in a propane torch flame for about 5 sec. which on these cases produces the color change John Boy cites. Cases are then air cooled in a case drying rack.

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
I've put upwards of 15 firings through my Bertram 35 WCF cases with no problem what so ever.  But, annealing is always good for saving cases. I think every firing is a bit excessive, but if it works for you and you have the time, have at it.
I have a Ken Light rig and before that I used a Hornady rig (MUCH CHEAPER). The Ken Light is a bit of trouble getting the torches set up at the correct angle which is a problem only if you are constantly working on different cases. It is very fast once set up. The Hornady rig is the easiest to use, it is similar to spinning the cases in the Lee holder but easier to get the cases in and out without burning your fingers. Hornady uses TempaLaq (sp?) to check heat applied.

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
J Lewis. When you said lube the inside of the neck. What do you recommend for lube?

ron

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Ron being that my lube pot is right next to the casting pot I just started using it. A very light film of the hardened lube applied with a Q-Tip has worked for me.

J.Louis

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
does it smoke much, or is it such a thin film that it doesn't matter?  My casting area is in the basement, ventilated, but also w/smoke detectors.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Not that I have noticed DW, you don't use that much.
Mould prep should work just as well if not better if you are concerned about smoke.

J.Louis

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #14 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
I would take one case and shoot it a few times before I decided I had a problem.
I have a box of 25-21 Bertram with one case out of it that I have shot 3-4 hundred times with no problems.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint