Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 25 Hornet (Read 12259 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 25 Hornet
Reply #15 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Yes, John. I only posted the lead bullet loads. I can post the jacketed if there is a interest.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks Frank I am not exactly sure what John was looking for. I also know there are some loads listed in the yearly equipment lists for the ISSA National events and Dave Purcel from up your way in Lakeview Oregon has achieved some remarkable accomplishments with the 25 Hornet in his Miller over the years. Around three years back he had a beautiful one hole 250 going at our ISSA Regional and the mirage was horrific and that is what he was watching in lieu of the wind flags. He was down to his last shot and his mind was telling him hold the same the condition is the same and he second guessed it and held just a tad outside the 25 ring and of course that is exactly where the bullet went. He still talks about it at every regional since as it would have been not only a remarkable accomplishment but could have also been of those CW Roland beaters. Dave has not missed our yearly regional event for as long as I can remember and he is always a force to be reckoned with. One would also be hard pressed to find a better gentleman.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
John,
Yes, Dave is a great guy and BR shooter as well as one of the best OH shots, too. But, those darn 25's are cantankerous and very hard to repeat with. I've seen no advantage with the 25's, 25/20 of either flavor or the 25 Hornet but, Dave has shot some of the highest scores I've seen but, he too, shoots his share of high 230's and low 240's. If you can shoot low 240's you can almost always be in the top three since there aren't that many that shoot them.

It's to bad that they are more of a side line cartridge. I'm hoping to do something with one this year.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Frank the 25's are starting to become very popular at our monthly matches and when the group from the Central Sierra Schuetzen club joins in with their 25WCF's there are some very good scores being turned in. In fact back at the Nov. match they cleaned house in the any CF matches as well as the 25cal. matches. I had a 25 Hornet barrel for my CPA and I sold it several years back to concentrate on perfecting my 32 in fact I had never fired a shot through it.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #19 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 9:10am
Print Post  
JB, I just ran across your 25 Hornet Post when searching the 25 Hornet on google and wondered if you had found any newer loading data for the 25 Hornet or some that you developed? Asking because I have recently purchased a Single Shot rifle in that caliber.

I do have the QuickLoad program but always like to hear what others have found that works well for them as to different powders and cast bullet weights, I will be limited to about 90gr max cast bullet weight as my rifle has 1:14" twist.

Thanks in advance for any help provided by you or others, Mike

stevens52 wrote on Mar 24th, 2012 at 3:04pm:
I'm looking for information. I know Gil Sengel wrote several articles on the cartridge for either Rifle or Handloader magazine and PO Ackley's 2 volume set has a page write up. Does anyone have copies of this? Load information? I'll gladly pay for copying and postage. Thanks, JB

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint