Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Postcard American Schuetzen Bundesschiessen 1927 (Read 11568 times)
feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Postcard American Schuetzen Bundesschiessen 1927
Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:22am
Print Post  

Just want to show to you an old postcard out of my small collection about the German-American-Schuetzen-Friendship.

At the big Bundesschiessen in Munich in 1927 (the first event like that after WWI) also the Schuetzen from America came over to walk in the big festive procession - and for sure to participate at the matches. There was a whole section in the festive procession for American shooting clubs. On the pic you can see the "New York City Schuetzen Corps".

Biggi.   Smiley

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Postcard American Schuetzen Bundesschiessen 1927
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:44am
Print Post  
marvelous photo.    Here in the USA we had a development in the photo-industry (VBG) in which people who bought cameras commonly did not develop them film themselves but sent the film in to be developed.  the film processors sent back the prints which were commonly printed in postal card format with a preprinted postal card format on the back so that the photographer could mail it conveniently if they wished.   In photo collecting there is a whole genre of these quasi-postal cards, which are usually a unique one-off photograph rather than true commercially produced and distributed postal cards.    
I am curious if the card you are posting is such, and if it has actually been mailed showing postage, addresses and a message?

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 12:01pm
Print Post  

At the Munich Bundesschiessens (in 1927 and as well in 1906), some photographers were placed in the 2nd or 3rd floor of the houses to take pics of all groups and sections walking in the long festive procession.

The festive procession was three hours or more till all groups and sections passed the decorated streets through the town. So there are a lot of pictures published as postcards by different postcard-publishing-companies. I don't know in which sales channels these PCs were sold after the Bundesschiessen. But I guess the photographers were in a hurry to make copy-prints of the procession to sell them directly to the shooters during the match-week.

And for sure the PC-pics were sold later in the photographer's stores and tourist stores in Munich. This PC was a real postcard and was send in 1928 from Munich to another town in Bavaria.

Biggi.   Smiley

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Many thanks, Biggi !   I love seeing what the world used to be like.  Wish I could have been there!

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
What a wonderful era when shooting was celebrated! Oh if we could only get back to that today!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
I agree, Vall. When I first got into SS's, I read of the big matches held from coast to coast, the rivalry and respect that shooters had for each other. Not to mention the amount of money that could be won if you traveled the "circuit" from NY to SF.

It was a wonderful time in history! Even though I'm not a good OH shooter, I've always promoted it. It REALLY takes skill and determination to excel.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
I too have enjoyed reading about the late 1800's and early 1900's shooting matches. Places like the Zettler Bros. indoor range in New York City that held matches where the purse was $500-$1,000 to the winner, and people came from all over the country to watch or compete!
It was a time without TV, football, or basketball, and organized shooting was the sporting event of the country, and people dressed for the occasion in their best Sunday clothes. Packing picnic baskets, and taking the whole family along to enjoy a day at the range.
I get excited just thinking about what a great treat it must have been to see the best shooters in the world all together at one place! Wish I had a time machine!

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 7:34am
Print Post  
in terms of money involved, shooting competition in that era was exceeded only be horse racing and professional prize fighting. 
Baseball, football, and basketball along with all the other "ball" sports were still amateur or at best collegiate sports and media coverage was only in print.  Trains, interurbans, and trollies provided cheap and reliable transportation to easily accessible shooting and exhibition grounds relatively close to population centers.  "sporting" firearms were common and as were shooters who were respected as pillars of their community.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 11:51am
Print Post  
I remember reading stories of Pope climbing on the transit system with his rifle and shooting accessories to go to the local range and test fire guns he had barreled. Imagine doing that in NJ today!

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #9 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy,

At the docks in San Diego there is an old ferry boat named “Berkeley” that is one of their floating museums. I believe that it’s the same ferry boat that in 1901 transported the shooters (including Harry Pope) and all their rifles and equipment to Oakland on their way to Shell Mound Park. Yes, things have certainly changed.

« Last Edit: Feb 29th, 2012 at 5:06pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint