Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Smokeless in a Maynard ?? (Read 6932 times)
pjogrinc
Participating Member

Smokeless in a Maynard ??
Nov 13th, 2011 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
I know the Maynard should be shot with BP, but got into a discussion at the range concerning light smokeless powder loads with light weight bullets for plinking.   

25-20 SS loads and 35-40 Maynard loads in particular.  The 40-70 Maynard I will only shoot BP loads.

Any of you out there want to share your opinion

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Smokeless in a Maynard ??
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2011 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
I've shot IMR4227 and A#9 in my 32-35 Model 16 for ~20 years with nary a problem.
joe b.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2011 at 10:13am by Jim_Borton »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2011 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
pjogrinc wrote on Nov 13th, 2011 at 2:23pm:
I know the Maynard should be shot with BP, but got into a discussion at the range concerning light smokeless powder loads with light weight bullets for plinking.  

25-20 SS loads and 35-40 Maynard loads in particular.  The 40-70 Maynard I will only shoot BP loads.

Any of you out there want to share your opinion

You can shoot any powder you want in your rifle.  In fact in the smaller cases smokeless is very safe and you wont have fouling problems.

Will be lining my 25/20 SS Maynard perty soon and will shoot smokeless powder in it exclusively.   You hear that advice a lot "should be shooting BP only". That applies to just a few old rifles and calibers. Just because you might use smokeless doesnt mean it's high pressure.   High pleasure maybe.   Cheesy Yuk yuk.   

I've been shooting 8.5 gr IMR 4227 in my 25/20 SS in a cast #2 Ballard for a number of years and it works just fine.   

I tried BP in my 25/20 SS  Had a hard time even getting it to hit the target. When it did the bullets were going sideways. The brass was pretty much toast when I gave up.  There are very good reasons the old timers took to smokeless like ducks to water.   

Okay thats perty much is my opinion.  Both barrels. 

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2011 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
The only cartridge Maynard (as opposed to the old percussion ignited carbines) that I shoot is a .40-40 with the old thick rimmed cases.  I haven't gotten up the nerve to shoot it with smokeless yet, because I have been loading the PC carbines with black anyway.  As Westerner said, it will probably be hard to get black to work well in a small bore, so if I ever get the .25-20 SS barrel I lust after, it will probably be fed very mild doses of smokeless.  That case can get pretty hot if you overstuff it with too-fast powder, though, so be careful about approaching max charges.  I plan to stay at or near starting load recommendations.  JMHO, YMMV!

Froggie

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
I can't speak about the .25-20ss Maynard because I've never had one - but I would probably try to use reasonable charges of AA#9 in that barrel if it were mine. 

I've had several Maynards in .35-40 and .40-60&70 and always shot them successfully using black powder duplexed with tiny amounts of SR-4759. Right now, I enjoy shooting my .32-35 Maynard exclusively with a BP duplex load. I like it because it's accurate, relatively clean-shooting, gives me a fun old-timey thrill, and it drives the black-powder-only goons nuts. 

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
xtimberman wrote on Nov 16th, 2011 at 4:30pm:
I can't speak about the .25-20ss Maynard because I've never had one - but I would probably try to use reasonable charges of AA#9 in that barrel if it were mine. 

I've had several Maynards in .35-40 and .40-60&70 and always shot them successfully using black powder duplexed with tiny amounts of SR-4759. Right now, I enjoy shooting my .32-35 Maynard exclusively with a BP duplex load. I like it because it's accurate, relatively clean-shooting, gives me a fun old-timey thrill, and it drives the black-powder-only goons nuts. 

Bless you! A MAN after my own heart!  You made my day.  Smiley

Joe.  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

pjogrinc
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
I'm currently running 7.0 gr of IMR4227 in my 25-20 SS Win Highwall.

What size 'F' where you trying in your Maynards, especially the 25-20 SS ??

IP Logged

xtimberman

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
My notes say that I always used Goex FFG in the .35-40 and primarily Goex FG in the .40 cals.

Lately, I've been using Swiss and Schuetzen FFG in my .32-35.

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Westerner and pjogrinc, Are those 4227 loads fixed or seated?

Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Mine are breech seated.

Joe

IP Logged

pjogrinc
Participating Member

Reply #10 - May 26th, 2013 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Sorry for the long delay.

Mine are fixed, 7.0 grs and a 86 gr cast FP.  Shoots like a house of fire in the new to me Stevens 44 and severe vertical stringing in my Maynard.  I think with the barrel down and loading and then shooting, the powder was mostly sitting at the base of the bullet.

Need to find a more bulky powder.  2400 pressures look low enought and should be a more bulky powder.

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2013 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Quote:
Sorry for the long delay.

Need to find a more bulky powder.  2400 pressures look low enought and should be a more bulky powder.

You remind me of the guy who went for a ride on the sub-way system beneath the streets of Boston, .  .  . to  never return, .  .  .  Oh to never return !  !

Well you made it back and you need a more bulky powder ?  While you were gone, there was introduced a very bulky smokeless powder and they called it "Trail Boss".

In order to use "T. B." you will want to read the instructions put out to the using public for load development and understand what is meant by the so called " 70 % Rule ".  Check it out, it just may have a place in what it is that you are doing.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

pjogrinc
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2013 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Well, I found out what was causing my vertical stringing.

Never checked the screws that held the slider on the tang sight together,, can we say loose!!!!!!

Problem solved!

Now that my Jameson brass is here, will start the fun all over again.  My Bertrum (newer production) which is good and consistent will be relegated to BP loads.  While I'm at it, should order another 100 of the Jameson for back up!

IP Logged

Joel Black

Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2013 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
I have been getting very good results shooting my Model 16 38/55 with a 250gr lead bullet and 6.2 gr of Trail Boss.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint