Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Three 250's (Read 10115 times)
40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: Three 250's
Reply #15 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Dale's rig is a WNY action it is made up from some castings he got that were a variation on the Borchardt action. Dale further modified his by removing the cocking plates and using a link. 
The chambering is .32-30 Remington on a .30 cal PacNor barrel. The bullet mould is a Borton. He makes his own lube and is still shooting H 108. The scope is a Sightron. 
I can tell you all this cause it won't make a difference it ain't the equipment it's the shooter.
Congratulations Dale, I wish I had been there to see it.

40 Rod

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 11:04am
Print Post  
I don't know about the others here, but I for one would like to see some close up picturess of the rifle and the action.

Harry

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
40 Rod what type of wind indicators was Dale using and how many?

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #18 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Sep 4th, 2011 at 9:34pm:
Quote From Westerner
Anytime I can stick CBA in the ribs is a good day!  Goes back to the seventies when I tried to join that tribe.  Glad They wouldn't let me in, now. 

Joe why would they not let you in? 

J.Louis

They were really lame in the seventies John.  I couldnt figure out why. The letter simply stated I was not the type of person they wanted in the CBA.  I never could figure out how they knew I had a Mexican wife, lol!    Grin Grin

Jose.   Grin

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your reply Joe the reason I asked is I have heard of others that encountered the same problems of not being welcomed around the same time frame you just mentioned. They showed up to a match with their single shot falling block rifles using breach seated bullets and were told their equipment did not qualify per the rules so they left and to this day they refuse to shoot any of the matches even though CBA eventually came up with a plain base class to accommodate them. 

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
JLouis, 

Dale has some home-made wind-vanes and at least one maybe two wind-probe velocity indicators.  But then that part of the range looks like a forest of wind and condition contraptions with narrow bullet right-of-ways when the usual batch of suspects are present.

I think Dale watches all of them, plus the grass, clouds, even the bugs in the air between his gun and the target.  I think that like a cat, he sees things the rest of us don't even know exist.  I'm not sure he couldn't shoot a 250 in the dark.  t'aint nachural you know

RE CBA:  we've got a member or two of our EG regulars who are also shooting CBA and a few more are considering it.
  I have a 38-55 heavy barrel Ruger#3 custom that was built for CBA Plain Base competition that works just as well for ASSRA bench gun--no different than an ASSRA bench gun; but I have a 38-55 'Wall  as well so I'm thinking of making a singleshot deer rifle out of it--tuning the barrel down to sporter weight
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2011 at 12:46pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #21 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
John 
Dales flags are home made. The one idea that I liked that he did is he has two vanes about 6 to 8 inches apart, each side of the vane is painted a different contrasting color so he can gauge how the wind is quartering. He uses 4 or maybe 5. He also watches all the other flags he has told me that he watched a condition coming across the range by seeing it starting on the other side and walking across coming toward us. I don't know how he keeps all that going through his head and still remembers to shoot.

40 Rod

IP Logged

creedmoormatch
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 6:20pm
Print Post  

Quote:
I never could figure out how they knew I had a Mexican wife, . . . Jose.   Grin

It just may have been when you checked the block marked "Other" on the application form instead of the one marked "N/A".

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #23 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Amazing shooting! I just don't know how any human can take so many variabkes into consideration and come up with such small groups over and over. Congratulations on perfection!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint