Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Offhand, again (Read 16077 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Offhand, again
Reply #30 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Quote:
My limited winning a OH match was the Hill match 2nd place some time back at Beeson Range, 10 shots for score any sight, 200 yds.
I had just bought a CPA with a 30X Lyman STS on it and had discussed the higher power scopes with Blender.  I asked him why he shot a higher power scope I think it was a 20x or there abouts, he asked me:  "Because I don't have a 30X"  Ok explain.

He told me you can't hold dead solid, like a rock. You must control the movement instead of letting the hap hazard movement of the body and nerves, like shooting a muzzle loader, control the movement by either a cadence of side to side moving or up and down.

IF you hold the Xhairs in the red bull and the trigger trips, you'll end up with a decent score.

I shot the Hill and got a second place medal and there were good OH shooters in the match, I felt good.
Control is the key not trying to jerk the trigger as involuntary movement happens to get you close to the center.

You lost me here KAF.  Why would technique be different with a muzzle loader? 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 9:50am
Print Post  
It is like shooting a muzzle loader. control the movement.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Blender if I am correct got his start in Muzzle loaders. Most muzzleloader offhand shooters have a different mind set.  Remember one time Chuck told me " I can't figure out why somebody would pull the trigger when the sights are not on the target"

Lot of time and trouble to load short shot strings long barrel time slow swinging muzzle heavy rifles with good triggers will get to to make every shot count.

Conditions are important though.  I see it like a pie with slices large or small depending on the individual or the specific match .

Equipment/Position/Condition/Strategy/Mental.   

Some guys excel at one or another others do well with all 5 parts. Most of us spend way too much time on the equipment.   As you progress one seems to fall into line then another part needs work.  Seems to me it's a series of jumps to a new level then level out while looking for the next way to advance. 

Boats

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 11:24am
Print Post  
shooting ML was Blender's frame of reference.  long heavy barrels and iron sights.    I believe that he was assuming that proper stance and posture, breath control and trigger control were "givens"

I wish I could develop the control to steer the barrel movement in an approximate pattern rather than a haphazard random wandering--and hoping to get the shot off when the crosshairs are about to enter the red.
I know, I know, more practice,  lots and lots of dry fi Winkring

BTW:  this has been one of the more interesting enlightening threads, at least to me, in quite a while
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2011 at 11:37am by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
If you want a good narrative on approach pattern read Tubbs Books.  I don't think I understood the importance until reading his first book.
Other key thing he says that's pattern related is go through a fixed pre shot routine same way every time, anything interrupts it start all over and go through it again. Tubbs theroy in short,  lot of things you can't control but the pre shot coming up into position same way every time is controllable and gives you the proper entry to break the shot same way every time

Hate to keep using the Golf analogy but watch those guys on TV, anything breaks there pre-swing routine they back off and go through it again. Never any inconsistency in how the approach the shot. Baseball pitchers same way pattern pre throw is very individual and always consistent.

Spotting and calling the line in SB Silhouette I see guys shoot then do a little dance while pulling the rifle down and chambering another then mounting the rifle & coming back on target all sorts of different ways. Never see them shoot well either. Guys that win our matches in AAA or Master class are absolutely consistent in everything they do.

My eyes were really opened when my son got me to start shooting IDPA pistol.  Though it was run and blast with no thought on were the bullet went. I was wrong, at the Master level guys have uncanny accuracy in blitz fast time.  Thing they do is always index with there eye on the target then mount the pistol same way every time.  Even if shooting while moving they draw, raise the gun to firing position from the same point every shot

Fellow that shoots around here to prove a point took the sights off his 9mm  and hits 25 yard 8 inch plates like clockwork running down the rack never missing a single one. He can back off to 50 yards and miss very few.  Here is a U tube get past the hype and look at his shot pattern strikes would have been a respectable target at 100 yards with a Schuetzen offhand.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #35 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 3:11am
Print Post  
Oh, gotcha KAF.   I tried for hours to understand what you meant.   Embarrassed

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint