Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Offhand, again (Read 16061 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Offhand, again
Aug 24th, 2011 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
I thought I'd move the OH talk over here, to were it should be.

I don't know how many on this forum know or have even heard the name, Jim Feren since, it's been 16 years since he has shot in the ASSRA and 24 years since he first broke Hudsons record, made in 1903. Hudson only broke 2300 one time and from that time until those original 100 shot matches ended in 1927 No one else got above 2283.

Between his first year shooting it in '87 and the last year that I know of in '95, He won the 100 shot match seven times out of nine years. He was 3rd once and didn't shoot in'94. He broke Hudsons record 5 times and still holds the record (2341-24c) as well as the Metro record (1184-13c), he shot the high single target score of 241-5c in '93 also and the only other person in those years to break Hudson's 2301 was Jim Luke with a excellent 2320. Only two other people won the 100 shot match seven times and that was C.T. Westergaard. His highest winning score was 2253 in 1922. F.C. Ross also won seven times with irons, his highest winning score was 2238 shot in 1901.

So, you can see how remarkable it is to shoot well offhand and at the rate that things have been going, I can't see how Ferens record can come close to being broken.

Hudson, to his credit did not opt to use a scope in that year of 1903, the first that scopes were allowed. So, I guess you could say that he still holds the iron sight record as no one that I know of has shot it with iron sights since 1986, it's first year back.

Unless there has been a 2300 shot since 1997, ONLY Hudson, Luke and Feren have a 2300+ from 1893 when it started, to date.

Since he is the best Schuetzen shooter of ALL time (to date), I believe that ASSRA should recognize him in some significant way and invite and promote others to break that record.

What say you?

Frank
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2011 at 11:07pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

chrisj

Re: Offhand, again
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 1:00am
Print Post  
frnkeore: if you don't mind, would you say your source for the Hudson and Ross scores?  I'm always looking for history.  I'll either want to follow up, or avoid repeating work that someone else has already done.

The listing in the records of the Central Sharpshooter Union has Westergaard's score from 1922 matching what you stated, though he won the CSSU 100 shot match 8 times.  That series has been written in the CSSU records as continuing to 1933, though skipping 1930 and 1932.  The CSSU could be argued as ending in '27 or '29, but someone (I have two suspects) thought the same series of 100 shot matches continued at least to 1933.

The scores for Hudson and Ross were from a different match than the Central Sharpshooters, as the CSSU didn't start 100 shot matches until 1905, and they were inspired by other matches in the east.

IP Logged

dave_j

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 1:04am
Print Post  
Quite the idea, Frank. But consider why do we have 2 organizations (ISSA & ASSRA) to govern a sport that is wheeeeezing along with little new blood coming into it. I did not count the WSU as I think it is a local thing at best. The influx of newbies is not overwhelming anyone.
if you dont have your battery of guns for the sport and the myriad tons of expensive equipment to support them ,you are probably not going to get them. it must be daunting to go to a match with a H&R Handigun and have to compete with custon rifles costing thousands. On top of that, part of the match is offhand for which we have very little training. In 1893 boys and men knew and used their rifles as tools and could shoot them. the military trains the average recruit to spray and pray so we dont have that source of shooters anymore.
local and regional matches should stress offhand as a discipline.few do.
i like the idea you have. we need to honor those who have gone before and set the bar for us to strive for.

ah heck  AA#9,4227,300MP, as long as it goes bang

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 2:04am
Print Post  
Chris,
The 1910 - 1927 info comes from a article that C.T. Westergaard wrote titled, Defining the Schuetzen Style of Rifle Shooting. from the January 1929 American Rifleman. His 2253 score shot in the 1922 match was shot at Wheatland, IA at 170 yards and not 200. The 1920 match was shot at Wheatland also at 170 yards and Ed Kundert won that one with a 2283 so, those two can't really be judged in the same light as the others.

The 1893 - 1904 comes from the 1904 issue of American Field. Both the Ross and Hudson scores come from that source. 

I don't have info for for the 1905 - 1909 matches. Do you have any on thoughs years?

Dave,
My point is to build a match that would interest people to get started competing in it. How many of us started with a high end gun? It can be a one gun CF match. You could have a smaller 22rf match to go with it but, very limited prizes for that. These guns aren't really out of the reach of middle income people, look at the $40,000+ cars running around. If you can develop the interest there won't be a shortage of people and guns to compete.

Again, look at the Coors matches, The match was there that people were interested in and they showed up with a gun.

That match did well for all, shooters, equipment makers (action, barrel, gunsmith, scope, iron sights and more) and especially the ASSRA. You couldn't pick up a gun related magazine w/o finding a article about it in at least one issue during the year.

Hype the tradition and the difficulty. Today there are lots of TV shows that I believe would cover it, especially The History Channel but, others such as ESPN, The Outdoor Channel and Verus to name a few.

Back at that time, people used to flock to the qualifying matches to link there name to the Coors match.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 4:59am
Print Post  
Interesting read. 

Frank - can you tell us a bit about the guns and cartridges that were used to break 2300? 

I gave up golf as I could never find a set of clubs that was good enough to allow me to shoot par, or better. Hope it doesn't turn out the same way with my single-shot rifles.  Wink

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Current record, held in ASSRA OH Hudson match, 100 shots, single entry
Jim Feren  2341-24c      1993
May match OH 10 shots re-entry
Jim Feren   241-5c   1993

records as of Nov 2010 As listed in the Jan Feb issue of the Single Shot Journal.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2011 at 8:07am by »  

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Ditto everything  SSShooter said.  I have not missed my golf clubs since I shot my first match.    Sounds like a great challenge.   

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Frank
I'd be proud to shoot in your Feren Match.
What targets will you use? When can I send you my entrance fee? I only have a 100 yard range is there a 100 yard match or is it only 200 yards? Let us know. I'll be the first to enter.
40 Rod

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Rules were different in Hudsons day.   Generally shoot in turn on demand all shots count.  For very good reasons ASSRA counts holes on paper not shots fired and gives you the entire Schuetzen match to shoot your 10 targets.  At the top level all shots fired counting is not real important Best shooters are not missing the paper, however ability to pick conditions is a real advantage. Having said that if any number of competitors in other shooting sports focused on the Hudson match have no doubt Dr Hudsons record could be broken under the rules he fired his record. Jim Feren came from Silhouette and I believe went back to it after his Schuetzen shooting

If you want to shoot offhand with old rifles and lots of competition get a Lever action or shoot local club matches not under ASSRA rules.  Our club has regular turn out twice a month averaging 2 dozen shooters for offhand gong matches single shot or lever plain base cast  bullet.   We don't shoot formal Schuetzen due to lack of benches for rest shooting and requirement to tie the range up for 2 or 3 days.

I may get up some offhand matches on the ASSRA 200 yard target as a side to our club matches at some point.  Would have to be squadded relays shoulder to shoulder all shots count no sighters after the sighting period.  Thinking 50 shots for cash prizes.  That would bring out our regular match shooters,  introduce them to the ASSRA target and fit available range time. Think the scores would suprise  you. Some of these boys can shoot. Next month am up in Pennsylvania for the CLA state match, bet there are 100 plus shooters on the line including several former Schuetzen shooters.   

I got into the sport to move up a level in offhand competition. Thing about Silhouette is it's easy to accept misses which only count one target you are not going to hit them all anyway, while Schuetzen every shot counts and misses carry a severe penalty. There is no doubt Schuetzen has improved my Silhouette performance.

Boats

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 10:14am
Print Post  
As I view it the biggest problem with (ASSRA) offhand in general is that we are an aging group and a fair number of our shooters are either not up to it or are shooting offhand to honor the tradition and have fun. 
 That said we have had (at Etna Green) a slowly increasing number of of offhand shooters over the past 3 or 4 years. (I'd need to review match results to be precise as to numbers) Some are guys who regularly compete offhand in other venues have joined and added single shots to their repertoire. Some are new guys who are just getting into it---thank goodness some are younger guys and a couple are pretty dang good. 

My impression is that the 22 rf offhand matches especially the mini-Hudson (100 shots at 100 yards) has been a real good development in revitalizing offhand shooting.  some who started shooting offhand with 22s have gotten addicted to the offhand game and are transitioning to center fire as well.
While a few decry the BSA rifles as less than "traditional", they have allowed a lot of new shooters to enter the games---including the offhand--at a more reasonable cost.  And some BSA shooters have transitioned to more classic, more traditional rifles.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2011 at 10:20am by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

mjs3240
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 10:19am
Print Post  
I had the privilege of spotting for Jim Faren about 10 or 12 years ago at the California State High Power Silhouette Championship Match at Coalinga.  I did not know who he was at the time but he sure could shoot.  I have not seen him since but about that time I switched from smokeless Silhouette to BPCR Silhouette.

IP Logged

chrisj

Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Winners of the Central Shapshooter's 100 shot matches:

Date      year      Winner      Home      Score      Location of shoot      Entries
5-Nov      1905      E F Richter      Milwaukee,WI      2147      Milwaukee, WI      28
30-Sep      1906      Otto Mueller      Wausau, WI      2196      Davenport, IA      23
30-Sep      1907      Otto Mueller      Wausau, WI      2185      La Crosse      __
__      1908      ___      ___      __      Milwaukee, WI      __
19-Sep      1909      Dr. H. Hoesly      New Glarus, WI      2149      Davenport, IA      37

I hope that is decipherable. Note that I am still missing 1908.  The CSSU did not start those matches until 1905, and news reports referred to matches in the east, so the series in the American Field continued separately.  Also the 1915 winner was Frank Dulleck, Westergaard lists his brother for understandable reasons I'll not go into here.

IP Logged

chrisj

Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 10:52am
Print Post  
From Boats:  "Rules were different in Hudsons day.   Generally shoot in turn on demand all shots count.  For very good reasons ASSRA counts holes on paper not shots fired and gives you the entire Schuetzen match to shoot your 10 targets.  At the top level all shots fired counting is not real important Best shooters are not missing the paper, however ability to pick conditions is a real advantage. "

Other differences: Rings went out to 1.  There were no wind flags. 

On approaching the window the schiessen had 3 minutes to get his shot off, which was then scored and the schiessen retreated back to a table off the line to reload and commiserate with his fellows, while someone else took a shot.  In some ways this could be an advantage, as a more relaxing way of shooting.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #13 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 11:30am
Print Post  
I like shooting OH.  cant we just shoot OH without trying to beat Dr Hudsons record?

I'm asking for all the old geezer shooters like me.   

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Of course you can, Joe. Just because your a ASSRA member, you don't have to shot it (but, I bet you will Smiley ). What I'm hoping to do is get a interest going that will keep these guns alive. I don't want it to be shot with AR's And AK's. 

I started this when I was 40 In 1985. I was a "kid" then but, we need people to get interested in this at 20 something both to raise the scores (not really possible in BR now) and to stir interest among there friends. It benefits us all to have younger blood. More demand for our guns and more prestige for for them and what they can do. Us old cogers will still be shooting until we pass but, we have to pass it on to someone. I always fear that these gun will die off and be lost forever.

Before the 1960's boys grew up wanting to shoot (I did) and go hunting now a lot just want instant gratification and want to party. It would even be good for society to some extent. YA, I'm out to save the world  Smiley 

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint