Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) bullet squaring tool (Read 20315 times)
Hank45
Oldtimer

Beer is living proof that
GOD loves you

bullet squaring tool
Aug 19th, 2011 at 8:27am
Print Post  
I need info about a lead bullet base squaring tool, a description of which is solid steel base, solid steel swing arm which is hand operated, bullet is held in a notch by thumb pressure and is swung across a piece of sand paper to remove any defects on the base of the bullet? Thanks , Hank Smiley

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: bullet squaring tool
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
the "cut the sprue-move the sprue plate back so the hole is not over the bullet base but the sprue plate is over the bullet base-whack the sprue plate to flatten the lump" method, which I invented.
After casting and opening the sprue plate, close the sprue plate such that the plate and not the hole is over the bump, and give the top of the sprue plate a good whack with the yellow plastic mallet. This will mash the bump down and make it go away.
Bullet bases will be flat.
joe b.

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
do you have thick sprue plates? I would be afraid of bending a plate with miss placed wack. I think most people who bump there bullets use a swager of some sort

IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
I hate to admit it, but I face butt of in a lathe in a 3jaw chuck, all same length n weight. Works for me...

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 6:41am
Print Post  
bnice wrote on Aug 19th, 2011 at 7:07pm:
do you have thick sprue plates? I would be afraid of bending a plate with miss placed wack. I think most people who bump there bullets use a swager of some sort

No special sprue plates, just whack em flat and the problem is gone. Never bent a sprue plate.
joe b.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 8:00am
Print Post  
OK first never hit your mould. Don't whack it on top don't hit it to shear the sprue, Never hit your mould!
Now First the edges of the hole in your sprue plate should be sharp. If they are not sharpen them one of two ways. First way use a countersink and carefully take out material until the edge is sharp. Back the plate with a piece of hard wood or soft aluminum. Most commercial plates are soft steel and punched out on a punch press. Now lap the side that mates with the mould until it is flat. 
  The other way is to find a drill that is a .0001 or two over the size of the sprue hole and drill it out, then lap the plate. Don't open it up to much as this can cause problems with casting. 
Now that the sprue hole is sharp you can cut the sprue cleanly. I use a spring washer (not a lock washer) on all my moulds. Screw it down tight and back off about a 1/4 turn. Now use your gloved hand to push the sprue plate open. If you don't use a glove use a hammer handle to push it off. Don't hit your mould, it never hit you.
Once the hole is sharp and you can shear off the sprue it should cut cleanly and not have those bumps.

40 Rod

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 8:25am
Print Post  
"never hit your mould"

Amen!!

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 10:04am
Print Post  
I agree with 40_Rod and KAF.

But to sort of answer Hank45's question. I tried that idea of squaring the base of the bullet up many years ago and as far as I could tell it didn't improve accuracy at all.

Of course if the cavity is not square to the top of the mould it would probably help, but in that case I would send it back to the maker for another one, or my money back.

Pete

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Was the original question just about the sprue or the whole base. I thought That is the reason people bump a bullet to square the whole base and have a sharp edge not just the sprue. If it is just the sprue cut I agree between letting it cool enough to cut not whip and a sharp cutting edge, that should cover the sprue

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
When the world and I were young I tried bumping bullets. I had a set of swage dies made to my specs of what the nose and base should be. I then cast the bullets and lubed them then ran them through the swage die to just give them a bump. After two years of doing this I decided that it had little is any effect. My attitude now is to buy a good mould from a good mould maker cast them lube them and shoot them. The more that you fool with the bullet the more chance that you are going to screw it up. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
bnice the original question was in regards to a tool that was in use somewhere out there and the gentleman is trying to locate one from what I read.

I think the subject got a little off track but the responses have been interesting especially about not whacking ones mould, some possible alignment issues and possible burrs from a dropped mould.

40 Rod did Charlie make you your bump die? I entertained the idea of bumping my bullets and he offered to make me a die in days gone by and I never took him up on it. 

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #11 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Hank45, You are looking for the  PRECISION BULLET EDGER I went thru a few years of BLACK POWDER CARTRIDGE NEWS and found adds for it from 2003 thru 2005. The web site (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) is dead. There is a phone number 315-823-2395.  607 Cramer Rd., Little Falls N.Y. 13365 I did not try the number and it would seem they may not make it anylonger?
I knew I had seen it someplace, just had to look around. Hope this helps.
Tom

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 5:48am
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Aug 20th, 2011 at 8:00am:
OK first never hit your mould. Don't whack it on top don't hit it to shear the sprue, Never hit your mould!

40 Rod

Here we have certainty and opinion masquerading as fact. I've been hitting the sprue plate to cut the sprue since 1960, and never a problem attributable to hitting the mold. I've been whacking the sprue plate down on top of the bullet/s for ?6 years, and never a problem attributable to whacking the mold. 
Bumps on bullet bases are easily made a thing of the past, such that no apparatus for swaging or cutting off the bumps is required. Rather than taking the dogmatic stand, why not try it? Frequently data trumps opinion. 
I've never bent a sprue plate, never seen a bent sprue plate. Come out of the star chamber and look at the real world.
joe b.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 6:03am
Print Post  
Quote:
"never hit your mould"

Amen!!

Please tell us why not. Share your experience as a mold hitter, that caused you to become converted to the correct path. Or you just parroting silly opinion?
joe b.

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #14 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 7:21am
Print Post  
Let's not get excited here.  But I must say I use a hammer handle to hit the sprue plate.  I've never tried tapping the plate to square up the bullet base.  The statements that some people have done this, and with no problems, is interesting.  Would I ever do it?  Well, maybe.  But I'm not going to jump all over somebody who's done it with no apparant trouble. Wink

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint