Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) bullet squaring tool (Read 20302 times)
bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: bullet squaring tool
Reply #15 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 7:46am
Print Post  
I'm curious myself who uses this method with success? what do you use for the hammer? What do you place the bottom of the mold on? If I'm  going to try this lets get some facts that keep me out of trouble.

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 8:18am
Print Post  
Micrometer adjustment, whack with a hammer.
Or tighten the spindle against the anvil
Adjust the lifters by bending the push rod, by whacking with a hammer.

Repair the problem, not try to FIX it with a hammer.

IP Logged

tenx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 8:30am
Print Post  
I have to agree that Joe might have a point...... Gee I hated to admit that.  Smiley

I do hit the sprue plate with a small rawhide hammer with no problems that I've seen, and you know how thin those old Lyman sprue plates are. But, and it's a big BUT. I don't hit the mold blocks themselves, with the hammer or thru the sprue plate. Without any evidence to back it up I really don't want to try and see what happens.

I figure it's no problem to go back to the mould maker and get a new sprue plate. But supposing... with no evidence to back it up.... I should damage the top of the mould blocks by doing as Joe suggests, especially around the cavity hole? Then a perfectly good mould is shot. I don't know about you guys but when I get a mould that does the job perfectly I sure don't want to screw it up.

So, basically, if it works for me with 60 + years of casting behind me I'm not interested in seeing if what Joe says will work. But then my sprue plates are set up so they cut cleanly and leave the bases without any of those "bumps" so I have no need to see if whacking the sprue plate works. I suggest you all do the same!

Pete

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 8:36am
Print Post  
"But then my sprue plates are set up so they cut cleanly and leave the bases without any of those "bumps" so I have no need to see if whacking the sprue plate works"

BINGO!!!!

Get good well adjusted tools and you have no problems.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #19 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Joe
The sprue plate is the most ignored part on most moulds. Good mould makers spend countless hours on grinding a cherry or lathe boring a cavity, and then slap on a Sprue plate from Lyman or RCBS. These are stamped out of relatively soft, read mailable, steel. Most of the moulds that I have that use commercially produced sprue plates have had the plates reworked by me before I ever cast a bullet in them as they are in sad shape. Few are truly flat, most have raggedy dull sprue holes. Many times I will make a proper plate for a mould and get rid of the one that was slapped on it. My material of choice is .090 bronze. I mill it to shape and drill the sprue hole in the exact center of the bullet and cut my sprue cavity with a ball end mill. this gives me a sharper edge that cuts cleanly and flat to the top of the mould. After doing all that work to make a proper plate why would I want to whack it with something? I would no more hit my mould than I would stick a steel rod down the bore of my rifle to drive a slug through it. Yes it can be done but there is potential for damage and I, for one won't take that chance. I also won't use a micrometer as a C clamp. Most guys when they are hitting the sprue plate are just flipping it on it's side and whacking it. When done along the axis of the plate little harm is done. When hit down against the block, over time it has to flex the plate. When the strike is away from the block it will tend to pull the plate up leaving a bump in the sprue and over time flexing the plate away from the mould block face making the plate  fit poorly. Most of the people who hit their plates will say they always hit it on the axis, but over the thousands of hits they gotta shank a few, some more than others. Its gotta take its toll. Your moulds are precision instruments treat them like they were and they will give you a lifetime of good service or mistreat them and see what happens.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Very well put 40 Rod.

Being able to tune a mould is an art in itself just as casting consistent match grade bullets is. A good example is to date I have not received a new Hoch Mould that did not require some minor adjustments to get it up to par. Now I am in no way saying that Dave is sending out faulty moulds as there allot of things that can come into play that one might not be aware that would require these slight readjustments. One that comes to mind is the difference in the environment from where it was manufactured and it becoming acclimated to a totally new environment. Once tuned it is in the same class as the most user friendly moulds currently being produced. I use an Ove Glove and gently cut the sprue by hand and I have seen some top of the line moulds ruined by the improper use of a hammer and sad to say one of them was highly collectible.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 6:18am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
See 3 BULLET CASTING, PG 95

joe b.

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 7:49am
Print Post  
My moulds are near the end of my lifrtime as some of them are well over 60 years in my posession. They cast as good or better than when they first started. I use a leather mallet i have had since I can't remember. My spue plates stay sharp and flat. Years of use have seasoned these moulds. When I cast I do more than one mould alternating calibers to keep the moulds from getting to hot. Lqargest hammer in my tool box is a 4# ball peen.I have never needed a bigger hammer for anything. 
Tom

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #23 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 9:24am
Print Post  
joeb33050 wrote on Aug 22nd, 2011 at 6:18am:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
See 3 BULLET CASTING, PG 95

joe b.

Couldnt see it Joe. Have to have an account. What kind of hammer are you using?  Has to be heat proof.  I want to try it myself.   

Normally I only hit the sprue plate with a hickory remnant.  I've almost thrown a few molds. Rebuilt and deburred a bunch.  I've done the glove thing but dont like wearing gloves when I'm casting. Has to be easier on molds. 

If the mold is out of square, hitting the sprue plate wont make it square. Neither will cutting the base with the sprue plate.   

I drill new sprue plates while on the mold dialed in in the lathe. Then the hole is dead center to the mold cavity.   

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 7:01am
Print Post  
I am left handed so the glove doesn't work. I use a yellow plastic mallet-very light. The sprue plate is opened, sprue is removed, the plate is closed such that the bullet base is covered-no hole over base. Whack the sprue plate down while holding the mold in the air-the mol;d isn't resting on anything. Some pictures from the chapter follow.
To read the book, search on "cb-book", look in "files", chapter 3, page 95.
I tune molds, have no light or uneven tops, can't remember having a mold with the tops uneven or stepped. Something happened to such a mold, think about how they are made.
joe b.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 7:02am
Print Post  
position

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #26 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 8:21am
Print Post  
OK, so if I try this, likely that I will, I'll do things:

1. Cast a large batch of bullets -- a batch for the 'before' control group.

2. Surface grind the sprue plate amd measure with CMM and record flatness.

3. Cast another large batch of bullets - for the 'after' group.

Then shoot a series of 10 shot groups from each of the large batches.

Place your bets.

IF this improves the scores, even slightly, there is value in doing it.

and

4. Measure the flatness after casting and thumping to see if there is measurable change in flatness.

(this is not going to happen immediately as I have to move the surface grinder into place and wire it up - be patient.)

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2011 at 11:29am by Cat_Whisperer »  

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #27 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Don't surface grind the sprue plate, lap it out. The magnetic chuck on the grinder can pull out a slight warp, you grind it flat then release the chuck and the warp springs back. Use some old glass and some lapping compound. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #28 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Valid concern.
If I grind the magnetic chuck first to clean it up then it should be 'flat'. (ASSUMING the flip-side of the spue cutter plate is 'flat'.)
Lapping is STILL a good idea.  
Measuring on the CMM will be the final test of flatness.

Perhaps also grinding the top of the mould?

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2011 at 11:27am by Cat_Whisperer »  

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #29 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 11:34am
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Aug 23rd, 2011 at 9:21am:
Don't surface grind the sprue plate, lap it out. The magnetic chuck on the grinder can pull out a slight warp, you grind it flat then release the chuck and the warp springs back. Use some old glass and some lapping compound. 

40 Rod

If the sprue plate is galled, surface grind it and then lap on a lapping plate or piece of glass. The magnetic table on my surface grinder isnt strong enough to bend a sprue plate.  I use a fine wheel so dont have to lap after grinding.  Incorrect grinding technique can heat the sprue plate and cause warpage. Keep cool or use coolant when grinding. 

Joe.  Smiley 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint