Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Is it time for a change? (Read 32371 times)
Dave
Ex Member

Re: Is it time for a change?
Reply #45 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 10:26am
Print Post  
You could send an e-mail.   Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #46 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 10:37am
Print Post  
tenx wrote on Aug 14th, 2011 at 8:20am:
Marlinguy,

If your talking about J. Louis I believe his first name is John. Anyway that's the name he uses in emailing me.

I assume you are just joking but there are forums, or used to be anyway, that in order to get into the "Smoking Room" you have/had to be invited, or recommended by someone within the group.

Some forums, like the CBA Forum, require you to register in order to even see anything on there other than section headings. Here, anyone that wants to, whether you sign up or not, can see just about everything here.

I don't think anything your suggesting is necessary here. By and large everyone plays nice. Like some have mentioned on here. Many forums are nothing but places to show the other guy up. One guy once told me about a forum he was on, that if you even misspelled a word, or put in a wrong punctuation in your message a dozen people would be on you like stink on a week old carcass.

Pete

Sorry about that, I meant J Louis. But my remarks were part tongue in cheek, hence the smiley. 
But I really do believe that in his request for only wanting input from such a narrow cross section of the forum he is off track completely. Having been on the previous forums as an observer and occasional poster I know the history that lead to this forum being introduced. I do not however think that the future of this forum should be determined by ANY small group of individuals. This is a great forum, and as such it's evolved and in my opinion represents all the aspects of single shot rifles. It should not become an elitist group that runs off those who enjoy other parts of single shot collecting, buying, selling, or just socializing about single shot rifles.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy guy you have been one of the most positive posters on this site and your input is and has been a tremendous asset to all of those who visit this site including myself. This is not about having this site controlled by an elite handful of individuals it is about getting it back on track to the benefit of all.

The original question BP asked and that I will try to address in the near future is in regards to the original intent of this site. It is still my hopes that those who were there prior to this sites creation would take the time to provide a real simple explanation on how they perceived it during that point in time. 

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
John, 

I believe that 5 days have elapsed since I started this thread. 

How much more time do you feel you will require before you will be able to address the questions I asked, in response to the issues that you originally raised? 

BP

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Please be patient BP it will be provided to you as I have stated earlier. It is still my hopes to receive some input from the others prior to my moving forward. 

J.Louis

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #50 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks J Louis.
My only hope is that this whole topic can be addressed in a civil fashion, and my only fear is it may cause a rift no matter how it's done. 
I hope that my attempt to lighten the serious nature of the topic would make some people smile or relax a little. We can still have fun here. Smiley
All I remember thinking back in those days was, "This will really be fun having a dedicated single shot rifle forum."

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
I just checked and I registered here almost 4 years ago and joined the ASSRA shortly after that. There have been some discussion here as to what the original intent was of those that originated this website. From my view point it is not important and I don't realy care. For the last 4 years this has been the first place I go to on line. It is a great site with people who have taught me a lot. I have always tried to share what I know and help anyone that I can. I have bought a few things here and sold a couple of small items. Anything can always be improved but I would hate to see any major changes made just because a few people are not totaly happy with the things the way they. To quote from one of my favorite songs, "You can't please everyone"

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
I just hope that the "others" John is hoping to receive some input from are still able to respire. 
If not, it could be a very long wait indeed! 

And to avoid any confusion, the preceding sentences are intended in a strictly lighthearted manner!
         Smiley

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 12:29am
Print Post  
BP you need to back off or you will not receive a response from me this is not your site it is our site and your behavior has proven to be somewhat abrasive recently. I am a man of my word and I am one who still has some sense of integrity. If you are unable and or are not willing to provide the patience on the behalf of this group to wait on and review my comments of which I now tend to think will not fit your personnel agenda no matter what I might have to say in all honesty. Then I will not place my self in a position just to give you the opportunity to demean what I have to share in order for you to pursue your own personnel agenda. 

It amazes me that I have been accused of pursuing my own personnel agenda or that of an elite group of individuals on the behalf of this group of which is not true yet the accusers are doing exactly what I am being accused of in order to pursue theirs!

J.Louis

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:52am
Print Post  
John, 

A two part PM has been sent to you. 

I will be happy to forward the two part PM to any ASSRA Board member for their review at either your request or theirs, as the case may be.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #55 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 6:32am
Print Post  
Sitting here in the UK, I can say that this is one of the better forum sites in the world---interesting, polite and democratic. With all democratic organisatons, members are free to raise issues which do not matter in the least to the majority but they are entiled to a hearing. With persistence, they assume centre stage and divert a significant slice of the membership to discussing the bees in their bonnets. 
Leave the site alone--its great!
Fred

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
I'm afraid I must disagree with my fellow countryman Fred Boulton, but only in that I consider this Forum the very best there is. In the last few years I have made several good friends on here, many of whom I communicate with outside of this Forum, I have sought and received some good advice here and in my turn I hope that I have been able to help others. 

I see no reason to change a thing, you can never please everyone all the time, but you sure as night follows day, your doing very well if you can please the great majority, and that is what this forum appears to do.

Harry

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #57 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Interesting, thanks Fred.   

Joe.   Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Set_Trigger
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Aug 14th, 2011 at 2:21pm:
John, 
I believe that 5 days have elapsed since I started this thread. 
How much more time do you feel you will require before you will be able to address the questions I asked, in response to the issues that you originally raised? 
BP

BP,
Every one that has responded so far don't seem to have a problem with the way it is, in fact J.Louis is the only one that commented on it not being the way it should be. And it may be a long time before "others" have anything to say about the way it is.

I quit this forum and the ASSRA about six months ago because of members that think it's their way or no way, came back not long ago and see that not much has changed, seems that ASSRA will always have their J.Louis and C M M guys.

Don't know why they don't just stay out of the G D section or any of the other sections they don't like and stop trying to push their ideas on others that have different single shot interest than they do. 

J. Louis,
Your a "free" man, you don't have to go to those other sections, are you forgetting that there are others on this site that don't have the same interest you do, we don't complain about you writing about your interest, and moat reading your stuff respect it,  please respect ours. 

Being that it's taking so long for a response from the old guard It may be that the old guard is gone and the good old boys club has changed. You and very few others may be the only ones left. Times are always changing and I really think that ASSRA and it's web site has room for everyone, it's not just for guys that have your interest.
  S T.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
BP I am going to try to keep this as short as possible and if need be we can expand on it from here. 

Prior to the birthing of this Web site there were a group of individuals that connected on a regular basis on the mIRC chat line. The knowledge gained through truthful conversation, proven techniques and dedicated experimentation were priceless. The discussions were always of a positive nature and the information shared would not place one in an unsafe or compromising situation. The topics ranged from how to ladle cast perfect bullets to shooting offhand and everything in between. The idea of placing the wed site on the ASSRA site seemed to be a logical one at the time as it would provide a direct link for those who visited the site. The purpose of the location was not to provide a direct link to the board of directors they all have individual e-mail address’s and phone numbers as a means to address anyone’s questions and concerns about the organization. The forum was developed to provide a means to improve ones knowledge base in a variety of areas in a very positive rewarding manner. Looking back I feel if the site was setup in a similar manner as Bench Rest Central by not having direct ties to an individual shooting organization it might have proved to a more healthful place for all to visit.

J.Louis
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2011 at 3:20pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Send TopicPrint