Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Is it time for a change? (Read 32352 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Is it time for a change?
Reply #15 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Boats you were indeed one of the first ones to join this Forum so I need to rephrase my term charter member and I apologize to all. 

Prior to this site being developed their was a dedicated group of individuals who met nightly and if memory serves me right it was on the old MSN Chat site. This is the group of individuals that I was referring to as charter members. 

Not knowing how long the MSN Chat line would stay up and running this group of individuals started dreaming about having our own web site developed and to make a long story short Jim Borton said he thought his son Josh could put it together.   

There is allot more to it than just this brief description but I need to clarify the term charter member as quickly as possible so those who were not a part of this group but were indeed some of the first ones to sign up need not respond.

J.Louis
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2011 at 5:32pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Set_Trigger
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Dave,
Most are only stating their opinions and the facts as they see them. It's evident that John does not like what has happened to the forum. He seems to think things on the forum are not working the way they were interned to work ?. I was sure you understood that. 

Just because someone answers or ask a question in a blunt way does not mean it's derogatory. Yes, it may be a bit crude, blunt, rude, and to the point like the answer KAF gave to a forum member about match dates, but not necessarily derogatory. 

I guess this would be a perfect world if everyone that expressed an opinion about something or someone did it in a nice rosy way, just think, everyone would be happy, running around with big smiles on their faces, no more wars, no more so called bickering, everyone would be happy,  well I'm sorry to inform you that most times that's not possible, and sometimes members will say things that are true but maybe not so nice, welcome to the real world.

No matter what changes are made, if any are made at all, they will not please everyone, that's human nature, again, welcome to the real world.

All we can do now is wait an see if the original charter members of the forum feel the same way as John, at this point we don't even know how many original charter members there were,  or if they are still with us, hopefully they will respond and enlighten us new members as to what the original intent of the forum was and how it went  wrong.
   S T.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
I don't know that the concept of charter members is appropriate here.  We tend to dwell on ancient history somewhat too much, sometimes.

The site dates back a long time to the old shooters.com site.  We had a board there, and if you think this board has some dissention, you should have seen that one!  The concept for this site started when the shooters.com site shut down.  Green Frog expressed the thought that it would be nice to have our own site, as I recall his comment, "where we can get together without a bunch of contender and handi-rifle guys asking if a .45-70 will kill a deer".  That led to the formation of the MSN site, that as I recall was started by Corky.  It had limited use, and then MSN shut down their forums.  A group, again led by Green Frog, tried to get a new website started.  An individual, or two, put together a site.  When an argument came up, they got mad, packed up their website, and went home.  Green Frog again pushed the idea that ASSRA should sponsor a website.  Jim and Josh graciously agreed to set it up, and it has been a great success.

If you use the idea of charter members dating back through all the board iterations, I'm one.  And I'm not an ASSRA member anymore, due to some controversies in the past.   

What you all have here is a good board, where like minded people get together, and discuss things in a relatively amiable fashion.  It's quite good for an internet forum.

My recommendation would be to leave it as it is, it's evolved over time to be quite a nice place.  The board that spun off it in the last greatest fight, the single barrel board on the double gun forum, has evolved into something quite different.  A new spin off from this one might evolve differently yet.   

A good principle to consider is that anything that lasts for a few years uniquely evolves to fit it's niche.  This board has done so and has reached maturity.  If it doesn't fit your needs, it might be a good time to look elsewhere.

dave

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
My post got too long to make my full point.   

That is, that the site is large, has a good membership, has good participation, and has limited controversies for an internet board.  Don't mess with success.

Similar sites like the WSU site, have very limited participation.  This board is it, for schuetzen.   It's the place.

I have chosen to move away from this board, because it has evolved away from inclusion of non-Etna Green shooters.  No great loss for the forum, I'm not one of the historic great shooters, either on the bench or on the keyboard.  I just like single shot rifles and working on them.  I can do that in my shop, each night, with or without the board.

For other members that the board doesn't meet your interests and intents, I would suggest the same.  The internet is a big place, with many specialized interests.  If this site doesn't meet your expectectations and the other members won't change to what you want, find another place that suits you more.  For the things that this site does meet your needs, stop by and visit.   

The only real wrinkle in this all is that the forum is essentially an official presence of the ASSRA.  If the members and board of directors don't like the way its evolved, they can, and may, externally influence it by rule changes, sign in for ASSRA members only, banning of undesireables, elimination of sections they don't like, etc.  That would go against the natural evolution of the board character, but perfectly legitimate from the organizational standpoint, if the board has evolved away from their intent.

What I would heavily counsel, is get away from the pettiness, bickering and back biting.  That will kill a forum and drive away the knowledgeable, valuable members faster than anything else.

dave

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #19 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Dave -

Good history of the forum, thanks!

I miss the old shooters.com - as do lots of folks.  Many have gone on from there to  participating heavily in other forums - someone counted perhaps a dozen that ended up moderating one forum or another.

It, like this forum, lost a number of good people as a result of controversy.  Some got PO'd and a number got kicked off - only to gravitate to other forums and have done well.

We've grown and matured.  This thread has gone for a record number of exchanges back and forth without verbal abuse ..... Which considering thre range different perspectives is good.

Tim K

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #20 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
As my friend SSDave says, I guess I can claim plank holder status in this board as well as a couple of its predecessors.  I don't, however, have any real words of wisdom as to what could make this iteration of this board more attractive.  I have to admit that I have sort of burned out on it, due only in part to the periodic bickering and back biting, but also just due to some changes in my own interests.  I will always remember fondly the help and encouragement I have received from so many of you in the past, and have enjoyed the opportunity to impart whatever modest input I could to the proceedings.  The ongoing sniping gets tiresome from time to time, and to be honest is another one of the reasons I just look for other "places" to spend my time.  It seems that this is a characteristic of all forums (fora?) that get large numbers of active participants and run for a long time.  Oh, well!  Undecided

If you come to this board to air some real or imagined grievance about the evil members, BofD, shooters, collectors, or <fill in the blank> and to 81+¢h and complain, you are what makes it less than it can be, and you probably should be out doing something productive with your time.  I would suggest you get over yourself, but you probably won't, so I just won't say it.  Roll Eyes  JMHO~YMMV, of course!

Regards to my old friends,
the Green Frog

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 12:27am
Print Post  
I am very thankfull for this forum and try to read it almost every day. All of the folks that I have talked on this forum have always been the the most informative people on any forum, there is only one othe forum that comes close. If I had the funds I would be a paid member but right now I have not worked in a year do to a simple medical procedure gone real bad at my local hospital.
The quality of advise that I have been given by folks like J louis, Green Frog, SS Dave and all of the others is only the best. 
The only thing on here that trips my trigger is when we get tese cottin picken spammers on, and they are getting on here somehow. I never see these on most of the other forums I go to. But in all fairness the floks that run this forum have there hands full dealing with all of the items in the forum and my hats is off to them for taking the time to run this beast.
Best regards
Michael White
USN Retired Seabee

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #22 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 11:44am
Print Post  
From what I've always concluded ASSRA was the American Single Shot Rifle Assn. I never thought it was the American Singleshot Shooting Assn. It was supposed to promote all aspects of single shot rifles, and I think this forum does so.
As for what the charter members had in mind, I have no idea, but I do believe that all things evolve, and it is in the best interests of the group and the forum to also evolve. If there wasn't enough activity on certain topics I doubt they would still be here. All the topics benefit members of the forum in some aspect, and regardless of whether some members (charter or not) enjoy, the vast majority of others do participate and enjoy them.
The last thing anyone should encourage is for members to leave and start their own forum. That seems to be directly opposite of what the ASSRA is about.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Fritz
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
I too reiterate the responses made by both Michael and Marlinguy.I want to make a motion that we move on,we've beat this subject to death--Fritz

YIM  
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #24 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
the ONE way to move on is to lock the topic.   Smiley

So requested of the moderators.

Thanks,  Good discussion.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen this topic was just started one day ago and it surely should not conclude today so in all fairness please provide the original charter members the time and opportunity to choose to respond or not to respond. Just because they have not provided a response to date does not mean that they don't have an interest in doing so or have had the time to do so. If they choose not to provide a response then I will take the time to address and respond to BP's original request from me.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #26 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Fair enough.

Mods - unrequest my request to lock.

To the rest whom this is getting old, just put us on ignore.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
All, I know that the Forum probably has evolved from it's origianl start but I'm sure it is still doing a great job in keeping us all informed about anything to do with Single shot rifles. Heck you all even send folks to other forums when in doubt or to just check them out. I'm sure that we all are not just single shot fans, but at least we are all firearms fans, as a whole we all do pretty good keeping on topic. We even answere questions about muzzle stuffers, I own several too. Gun are great and we as a whole are a great lttle organization.
One thing that keeps amazing me is you think a topic is long dead and I'll be someone will remark about it and bring it all back up again, and that helps keep it interesting.
Mike

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #28 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Well I guess we need a list of who is a "charter member" Joe! I thought I did respond, and based on being around since way back before the MSN forum, I thought that meant charter, but now I'm not sure??????
Please let me know exactly what a charter member is/was!

"Prior to this site being developed their was a dedicated group of individuals who met nightly and if memory serves me right it was on the old MSN Chat site. This is the group of individuals that I was referring to as charter members."

So with thousands of members here, and who knows how many followed over from the MSN site, you only want to hear input from a tiny group of individuals you deem worthy of providing comment. 
I think I better stay away from the whole forum for awhile if that makes sense to most folks here.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 12:27am
Print Post  
This has been my favorite website for years. Because of it I joined the ASSRA. Other than the fact that I would like to see a seperate Stevens section, I am happy with it and would prety much leave it as is. Something for most everyone and great people. There is more Stevens info here than anywhere else that I can find so I am good with it. I also have many other firearms interests as others here. I have never shot competitively and may never do it but I find a lot of things relating to comptitive shooting to be of interest. The one thing I wll caution everyone here about is to beware of the trap that may people involved in hobbies fall in to. They get so obsessed with the hobby that they forget that the whole idea is to have fun. When people get so obsessed with something and take it so seriously that it is no longer fun, it is a sad thing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Send TopicPrint