Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) new barrel (Read 7344 times)
Hank45
Oldtimer

Beer is living proof that
GOD loves you

new barrel
Aug 7th, 2011 at 7:46am
Print Post  
I just received my USED action with a brandy new barrel attached. What do I do to break in the new barrel? The  new caliber is 28/30. I plan to use a 136 g. bullet from an Ideal mould. Thanks, Hank

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: new barrel
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Hank
Breaking in a cast bullet barrel is more about seasoning the barrel than breaking it in. I am totally against running some jacketed rounds down a new barrel to "Smooth it out". If your barrel is that rough send it back. Do not spend time trying to save a new barrel that is rough or jugged just send it back and start over again.
here is how I season a new barrel. It is the procedure that I am now using on my new RKS barrel and have used in the past on RKS, Shilen, Douglas, and long barrels. First clean the barrel with a mild bore cleaner, I use Ed's red with lanolin. Then I take a patch with lanolin on it and run it through the bore a few times. Then shoot as normal. At the end of the day clean just until you get the fouling out stop when all you see is cooked lube on the patch. then run another patch with lanolin down the bore. make a patch of lanolin the last patch that you use on the bore and let the bullets iron in the lanolin. I also put a heavy coat on lanolin in the bore when I put my rifles up for the winter.

40 Rod

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
40 Rod I find your use of Lanolin on your last patch interesting how does that affect your first shot out of the barrel is it in the group or does it still take you a few shots before it settles back in?

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
My RKS barrel took 49 shots to break in. Shot 30-1 lead bullets and the lube I was using at the time. Had me worried for a while.   Douglas barrels and most others seem to shoot good right from the start.   

As far as seasoning, I like Italian best, yuk yuk.    Lips Sealed

Joe.    Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Hank45 wrote on Aug 7th, 2011 at 7:46am:
I just received my USED action with a brandy new barrel attached. What do I do to break in the new barrel? The  new caliber is 28/30. I plan to use a 136 g. bullet from an Ideal mould. Thanks, Hank

What brand barrel?   

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

Hank45
Oldtimer

GOD loves you

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Joe, Green Mountain barrel in 7mm, Hank

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
My two Rim fire Green Mt Barrels shot well from the first.  Lead bullets modest velocity I don't believe in any complicated break in methods.  They do seem to settle down with some rounds through.

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Hank45 wrote on Aug 7th, 2011 at 6:16pm:
Joe, Green Mountain barrel in 7mm, Hank

Cant go wrong with a GM barrel. I bet it shoots excellent.  Super smooth finish inside.   

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

Hank45
Oldtimer

GOD loves you

Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Joe, just received it on friday, have not shot it yet, waiting for some  lead bullets to arrive, then down to the reloading room and then out to the range. Hank

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Joe congratulations you now have 2976 posts accredited to your name yet I have not found one individual to date including myself that has improved thier scores, offhand, bench rest, black powder, smokless and or duplex loads from any of them and as a charter member as of 4/16 04 this is not what this site was created for!

J. Louis

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
this is not what this site was created for!

J. Louis, 

Just did some searching and found the following forum rules:

Quote:
RULES FOR THE ASSRA FORUM

1. NO CURSING
2. KEEP IT SINGLE SHOT SHOOTING RELATED
3. NO PERSONAL MESSAGES ON FORUM
  (This is what the personal message feature is for)
4. BE GENTLEMANLY
5. NO NEGATIVITY
6. NO BASHING ANYONE OR ANYTHING
7. KEEP IT CIVIL

I will enforce this rules to the tee!
If anyone can not live by this rules!
find another Forum to post on!
This Forum was not set for to be a bashing grounds!
Have fun and have a good day!

Frankly John, I'm confused. I don't see a restriction on the number of posts allowed, and to my knowledge Joe's posts have pretty much complied with forum requirements.

I'm curious to know which specific rule(s) Joe has violated, so I won't inadvertently break those rules myself.

My thanks in advance.

Regards,
BP

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 7th, 2011 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
I did not say that Joe had broken any rules I said congratulations on setting his personal goal as stated in one of his earlier posts to set the all time high in regards to the amount of posts on this site and I also stated that I personally have not found any of them to provide any real positive benefits. I have nothing personnel against Joe in fact when he unfortunately had his car broken into while attending one of our ISSA Regionals I provided him with some of my bullets of which he kicked my butt with it is just the meaningless posts just to say one has the record that I don't think provide anything postive for this organization.

J.Louis

IP Logged

contrary_kid
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 12:04am
Print Post  
This is really funny -a recent post on the WSU forum.

"We need to get out and shoot more and leave these PCs alone, we are becoming virtural shooters on these things- Westerner"

Coming from a guy with 2976 posts on this forum!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #13 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 12:06am
Print Post  
Hank45 wrote on Aug 7th, 2011 at 7:13pm:
Joe, just received it on friday, have not shot it yet, waiting for some  lead bullets to arrive, then down to the reloading room and then out to the range. Hank

It'll be interesting to read how it shoots Hank. I dont recall anyone using a  7MM GM barrel and cast bullets. 

Which Ideal bullet are you going to try?   

Joe.   Smiley

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Quote:
I have not found one individual to date including myself that has improved thier scores, offhand, bench rest, black powder, smokless and or duplex loads from any of them

J Louis,

I regret that you have been unable to derive a benefit from any of Joe's posts. 

As for myself, I've managed to glean some helpful hints when reading between the lines of Joe's posts that have caused me to investigate some factors a bit deeper than I might otherwise have, and it has been to my personal benefit. So here's one exception to your blanket statement. 

Maybe it's just me, but the individuals I learn the most from are the one's who get you to investigate something a bit deeper, not just hand it to you on a silver platter. 

Regards,
BP

PS:    My personal apologies to all for having helped to divert this thread away from it's original subject. 

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint