Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Questions on sled design (Read 1806 times)
is0086s

Bob Ryan

Questions on sled design
Aug 2nd, 2011 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
I've cobbled together a sled to try on a 38-55 high wall. In doing so I have come up with two questions. First; how much should a sled weigh? The one I've thrown together to try is made of wood and is quite light.  Most of the sleds I've seen pictures of are metal and so heavier. What role does weight play - or is it an issue? Second: in some of the pictures of sleds they have wheels or rollers. I assumed that the sled would rise and move backward and so make a roller useless. Is this right, or is there reason for rollers?  I have no experience with using a sled. I have most of the available reference books but neither of these issues is addressed. If any of you have real experience or knowledge on either issue I'd appreciate your input.

Bob Ryan

IP Logged

MikeT
Senior Forum Member

Re: Questions on sled design
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
I'm guessing that if this sled you are speaking of is a widgit that goes on the barrel to keep the rifle relatively 'square with the world' while shooting from the bench, then weight is really not a necessary attribute, or is it?.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Before you move forward take the time to check the rules of ASSRA, CBA, ISSA and WSU to see if you would be complying to their rules for competition as unfortunately they are all not on the same page1

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
My experiments with sleds leads me to believe they are not necessary for the best accuracy.  I've used wood and aluminium. Cant tell any difference.  I would think/guess that the lighter the better.  Just a guess.  The best feature of a sled is that it'll keep your rifle from falling off the bench. Very handy item in that way. 

Might add, that Ive never seen one with wheels or rollers on it.  

Joe.    Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2011 at 9:30pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
On the other hand, if your shooting a 45/70 or a heavy bullet in 38/55 the weight would help to reduce recoil.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint