Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bullet Mold (Read 7050 times)
Babalooie
Ex Member

Bullet Mold
Jul 31st, 2011 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
New guy here. 

I recently acquired a bullet mold made by Massechusetts Arms Co.  Looking on the internet, I discovered it is a Maynard 1882 .40 Caliber #1 & #2 two cavity mold.  It is all metal, including the handles, which are a part of the mold.  The cavities look smooth with no rust or corrosion.  

Can anyone give me an idea of its rarity, collectibility and value?

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Bullet Mold
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Welcome Bobalooie.   Love that username!   Grin

Dont know about the value of your mold.  You state you acquired it.  Gift?

If you bought it, what did you pay for it?   

It's a forum rule you must post pictures with your SS rifles and accoutrements.  If you dont know how to post them send them to me and I'll post them until you learn how.  Posting pictures an this forum is so easy a monkey could do it, really.   

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Babalooie
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Got several molds in a purchase.  This was the only one that didn't have wooden handles.  At first, I didn't notice the manufacturer's name due to the many scratches and digs in that area.  I did some searching on the internet and saw one similar to mine with the above information on it.   

The other molds are Lyman and Winchester manufacture.  I also got two ladles and a hand operated bullet & primer press mfd by Winchester with an 1894 patent date.   

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2011 at 7:23pm by »  

IP Logged

Babalooie
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Here are some quick and dirty pics using my scanner.  The side panel with the manufacturer's information has many scratches and dents, probably from knocking the sprues off (just a guess).

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2011 at 7:24pm by »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Nice mold, been my experience guys here are interested in molds to shoot what they own. At times pay a whole lot to get one but unless it's useful don't buy.  Loading tool collectors have there own web-site that I often thought I would visit. Have some things I am thinking about selling.  But it's a paid subscription site so have never looked. For true collector information it would be the way to go. Don't have the link on this laptop. If you can't find it let me know and will look on my other machine.

Might put a search into Ebay and keep running it. If any others sell would give you a good idea.

Boats

IP Logged

Babalooie
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
I think I found them.  Is it the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Association?

IP Logged

blackpowdermax
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Hi boats.......the ARTCA site is no longer a paid prescription subscription site, they opened it up.  Still costs to join the ARTCA, but the forum is free without joining, you just have to register like any other forum so they can boot you off when you start spamming from Ireland or Russia or even California or New York.  Smiley

It's not a real busy site, but it does have its moments.

max
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2011 at 1:10am by »  

IP Logged

Babalooie
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
I joined the forum.  It really isn't that much to join the association.  I think it's something like $20 or $30.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
The .40 cal was very popular in the Maynard line, from first to last.  There were three cases, rated at 40, 60 and 70 grains, respectively, IIRC, and all could use the same bullet.  Over time, the diameter of the bullets (and rifle groove diameter) varied from about .412" or so on up to over .420" as manufacturing mods occurred. If someone (like myself) with an original Maynard were looking for an original mould, they would want to know what diameter bullet it drops before making an offer.  While not exceedingly rare, these moulds are not all that common, so if you really want to sell it, you should have no difficulty whatsoever.

Froggie

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Looks to be in excellent condition. The cavities especially. 

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 5th, 2011 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Good tip will register.  Have an oddball press would like to research

Boats

IP Logged

Babalooie
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2011 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Green_Frog wrote on Aug 4th, 2011 at 8:11pm:
The .40 cal was very popular in the Maynard line, from first to last.  There were three cases, rated at 40, 60 and 70 grains, respectively, IIRC, and all could use the same bullet.  Over time, the diameter of the bullets (and rifle groove diameter) varied from about .412" or so on up to over .420" as manufacturing mods occurred. If someone (like myself) with an original Maynard were looking for an original mould, they would want to know what diameter bullet it drops before making an offer.  While not exceedingly rare, these moulds are not all that common, so if you really want to sell it, you should have no difficulty whatsoever.

Froggie

I'm going to show my ignorance.  How can I dertemine the diameter of the bullet?   I can measure the cavity with a caliper if that'll help.  I don't have casting equipment.

I would consider selling it.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #12 - Aug 6th, 2011 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Quote:
Green_Frog wrote on Aug 4th, 2011 at 8:11pm:
The .40 cal was very popular in the Maynard line, from first to last.  There were three cases, rated at 40, 60 and 70 grains, respectively, IIRC, and all could use the same bullet.  Over time, the diameter of the bullets (and rifle groove diameter) varied from about .412" or so on up to over .420" as manufacturing mods occurred. If someone (like myself) with an original Maynard were looking for an original mould, they would want to know what diameter bullet it drops before making an offer.  While not exceedingly rare, these moulds are not all that common, so if you really want to sell it, you should have no difficulty whatsoever.

Froggie

I'm going to show my ignorance.  How can I dertemine the diameter of the bullet?   I can measure the cavity with a caliper if that'll help.  I don't have casting equipment.

I would consider selling it.

Of course the  most sure way is to cast up some bullets and get an average using a precise micrometer.  You can get an approximate size using internal calipers or a set of gauge pins (for the base band only) but this is only a rough approximation of the actual product of the mould. Please send me a PM if you want further detail on measurement and if you might perhaps be interested in a trade for a mould you would like to have(??)

Froggie

IP Logged

Babalooie
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Not really interested in any trades.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Nice bullet mold! Measure it with your calipers at the diameter of the two driving bands. The 1873 guns used bullets about .423"-.424" diameter. The 1882 guns generally used bullets about .416" diameter.
The mold should measure .001"-.002 over the size of the bullet it will drop. This should tell you whether you have a mold for an 1873 or 1882 rifle.

It is more of a collector mold. The most important thing to collectors is condition. They will never make a bullet with it. These molds are difficult to use. They get hot and the bullets don't drop out easily. You can see it is all dinged up from trying to convince the bullets to drop out. The best way is to open the mold all the way and snap it against the stops. This will pop the bullets out generally. I use heater hose on the handles of mine to help with the heat. If you pour the cavity nearest the handles first it helps heat the mold evenly.

The value depends on finding someone interested in it. A shooter will get a custom mold made for $150 and let you keep yours. A collector will try to get it cheap by pointing out all the dings and blemishes on the mold. I'm not going to guess at a value, I'll leave that to anyone interested in it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint