Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stevens single shot pistol help (Read 3258 times)
418Steve
Ex Member

Stevens single shot pistol help
Jul 29th, 2011 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
I know it's not a rifle (maybe) but need some help or where to go to get it.
Have seen an old Stevens pistol at an LGS that I'm interestend in--advertised as a Stevens 35, but some things don't jive
Looks like a 35, but it has a grooved buttplate as Pocket Rifle would for a wire frame stock to attach.
6" barrel, hooded front sight, two position popup rear sight, it HAS a trigger guard.
Ser. # 398XX
So, it looks like either Pocket Rifle shortened to 6" with a trigger guard and the stock is missing OR a 35 Target 2nd model with target sights with the buttplate of a Pocket Rifle.
The price is right in any event, and I'd like it as a period pistol to complement my 418 target rifle, but would still like to know what I'm getting in to.
Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens single shot pistol help
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2011 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Does it have two holes at the top of the pistol grip for a tang sight mounting?  The Stevens Vernier New Model Pocket or Bicycle Rifles Nos. 40 (flip-up barrel sight) and 40-1/2 (tang sight) had trigger guards.  The minimum barrel length was 10" in the catalog, but there was a warning that any deviation from catalog specification would incur an extra $2.00 charge, so there might have been an opportunity for a specially shortened barrel.

This from Cope, "Stevens Pistols and Pocket Rifles."

IP Logged

418Steve
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2011 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Don't know about the extra holes, but I'll check it out when I go back--maybe tomorow but more likely on Monday

Anyone else got any seen anything like it?

I'll look for a copy or pics from Cope too

Thanks

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2011 at 1:24am
Print Post  
Sounds like a New Model Pocket Rifle Model 40  with a shortened or non standard length barrel and missing the stock. I recently got one with a shorter than normal barrel length and am not sure if it was shortened or ordered that way. Stock recently sold on GB for around $200 as I recall. Recently bought a realy nice stock for $250 and ended up buying the rest of the gun for $175 as I recall. It is with John Tayolr at the moment waiting to be relined. Neat toys. Have one in .32 Rimfire that is prety nice and complete with a good bore.

IP Logged

418Steve
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2011 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Thanks Slumlord--makes sense--I just didn't know if all models of the 40 had the tang vernier or not--so I guess the regular one had the barrel sight.  Gun shop said it had been shortened, but only because he he didn't really know what it was i think.  If it was shortened someone did a really good job on the dovetail and a long time ago too.  The bore was dirty but looked good.  I'm gonna look at it again--and might even know where there is a stock for it.  Another project to buy an old neglected gun and make it whole again by rounding up the parts!  Gun is actually in pretty good shape--large blotch on the nickel on the right side, but certainly not really abused--just showing it's age a bit.  I think it'll clean up pretty good if i get it.

IP Logged

418Steve
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2011 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Saw it again today--definitely a 40, the front of the barrel face was uneven on one side, so it might have been cut down a long time ago, but the dovetail for the front sight is so nice, it might have been an attempt to recrown it.

No holes in back strap for the vernier / tang sight, so probably the plain 40.  But, ran a boresnake through the barrel and brought a good bore light--the bore is not good and the nickel frame is more worn than I thought.  So, the gun is maybe 70%.  They were asking $250, but I think this will turn out to be like Slumlords gun--I'll go in at $175--If they'll take it, then I'll restore it with a liner, new nickel and blue.  Of course even then it'll never be original if the wire stock frames were serial numbered to the gun and i can latch on to one someday, but it'd be a nice shooter I think.  Might be a nice single shot to train my 3 year old grandson on in a few years.

Thanks for the help guys!  I'll keep you posted if it follows it's way home to me some day.
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2011 at 8:01am by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint