Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Need help with old target rifle (Read 2521 times)
Sendaro
Oldtimer

When the sight is on SEND
IT!

Need help with old target rifle
Jul 1st, 2011 at 8:34am
Print Post  
The rifle that I have before me to get shooting again is not a cartridge rifle but rather a ML target rifle made by John Howie of St. Johnsville New York. It was made about the early 1860s. It appears to me that the maker may have been heavily influenced by Morgan James of Utica NY who was located less than 25 miles away. This rifle is in very good condition inside and out. It sports a George Harris full length scope and has a great false muzzle. The barrel is very heavy with a bore of .445, and a groove dia. of .465. The twist rate is 1 turn in 30" of travel. I believe that this would tell us that the rifle was made to shoot picket bullets or as they were sometimes called sugar loaf bullets. The problem is that no bullet mold was found with the rifle. If there is anyone out there who could tell me where I could buy about 100 picket type bullets of the proper dia. it would be a great help. The rifle is truly in outstanding condition. I have used a bore scope to check the interior of the barrel and it looks outstanding.

IP Logged

theformer1878
Ex Member

Re: Need help with old target rifle
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Post your question here:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

There are a number of people over there who have and shoot such rifles.

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 9:33am
Print Post  
Find a copy of New York State Firearms Trade Volume 2 by H. J. Swiney, it has a short article on John Howe of St Johnsville NY 1859-74. Found no Howie in the book but in the past names sometimes changed over time.
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2011 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
I'll see if I can fin a copy of H.J. Swiney's book. The spelling of Howie maybe my mistake or the owners, it is more than likely Howe. Thanks for the information. Sendaro.

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2011 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
I'll see if I can fin a copy of H.J. Swiney's book. The spelling of Howie maybe my mistake or the owners, it is more than likely Howe. Thanks for the information. Sendaro.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint