Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lyman #103 tang sight information (Read 7812 times)
Sendaro
Oldtimer

When the sight is on SEND
IT!

Lyman #103 tang sight information
Jun 30th, 2011 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I'm looking for information about the Lyman #103 tang sight. It has an elevation adjustment with 8 index marks in one full revolution. I would like to know what the value of these marks are in minutes of angle. I have been recording the number of full revolutions and the index number for different yardages as I zero for a given distance. This is being done with the #103 mounted on a Stevens 44 in 22LR that I recently had a barrel liner installed in. The rifle is shooting very well. I would like to know the click value of this sight so that I can make elevation adjustments more predictably accurate. Thank you in advance for your help, Sendaro

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lyman #103 tang sight information
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Do you have a dial caliper or indicator ? if so measure off a number of clicks, perhaps one or more full revolution and post the distance moved and distance between the front and rear sight.  I can give you the true movement from old Lyman charts.   

You can also do the math your self. Look at the sticky on Unertl Scope block spacing in the gunsmithing section. Calculation is the same just different spacing.

Another handy chart is standard elevatons for .22 LR cartridges HS and Standard Velocity.  I use the ones from Hatchers book all the time.  They ought to match your known zeros and if so can be used to get rough sights for other distances.

Boats

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Thanks for the infomation. I will give it a try and if I run into problems I take the measurements you have suggested, and post them. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
There are no set minutes of angle for a 103 sight, as caliber and barrel length will determine how far each click will move the point of impact. I also have a 103 on a Stevens 49 on the 44 frame in .22 rf.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 8:32am
Print Post  
I get the idea now about the way this works with the distance between the front sight and the rear sight. This old Stevens 44 in 22LR is just a pleasure to plink with. Having the barrel fitted with a liner was well worth the money to breath new life into this fine old rifle. Up till a few years ago I was a scope shooter. I remembered my training as a youth in Boy Scouts on their small bore team. Back then I was taught to shoot with a peep sight, but all of that shooting was done at 50 feet. Then I had the good fortune to buy a Stevens Favorite 1915 model 27 (full octagon barrel) rifle in 22 LR. The rifle was in very good condition but the rear sight was broken. I bought a tang sight from Jeff's Outfitters and mounted on the Favorite and quickly found out that the little rifle was an accurate little shooter. This in turn started a search for a front globe sight for the rifle. As most of you know the front sight dovetail of a Stevens Favorite is not at all the industries standard for a dove tail size. So I went to work in my shop and made a dove tailed male base and fitted it with a pin post made from the shank of a #60 drill bit (.040"). For the globe a 1" long bolt spacer was used that had an ID of .385" and an OD of .505. The unit was soldered together and blued. Bolt spacer .75 cents, scrap steel for dove tail base .00 cents but an hours work, pin post for front sight .00 cents from a broken #60 drill bit. The finish product may not be price less but it looks right and works just fine. My plinking started to take on a new dimension at that point with shooting at greater distances. I was amazed at how accurate I could shoot with this sight system. Should have not been a surprise as others have been doing this for the past 150 years or more. It was just that it was new to me and I found it to be very enjoyable indeed. That is what prompted me to buy the two Stevens 44s that I now have and truly enjoy shooting, one in 32-40 and the 22LR. I'm hooked!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
That's good looking sight, and clever build! With the exception of my varmint rifle, I shoot either old scopes, or tang sights with globe fronts. I love both, and just haven't brung myself to putting a modern scope on an old singleshot rifle. I see a lot of modern scopes being used in matches and serious shooting, but it's not my thing.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Many of the Lyman tangs were intended to give 1/2 moa clicks on normal rifle set up's   Strobels book says the 103 was 8  half Moa clicks to a turn. 

Of course it depends. My Marlin 39A with Lyman 1A Tang sight no clicks calculated at 3 moa to a full turn or one graduation on the staff.   

It may or may not be exactly 3 moa to a turn but it's been close enough for my use. Sights with it are about the same as other rifles same ranges same ammo

Chickens  3/12 turns   
Pigs         3 3/4 turns  + 1 MOA
Turkeys    4 1/2 turns  + 2 1/2 MOA
Rams        5 1/2 turns  + 3 Moa

That's about 7 moa from 40 meters to 100 meters nearly the same as a 1922 M II Springfield with a Lyman 48  20x Scoped Kimber Sporter. Or my Low Wall with a MVA tang same Ammo course of fire same range. Variance in all the recorded sight settings are less than 1 moa. Too small to measure on paper shooting offhand.

You don't want to hang your hat too much on predicted sights though every rifle is a bit different, Best shoot some groups and observe after making the calculation

Sights Old is just as good as new, most times better.

Boats

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Nice job on the globe sight. Great to make something that looks right and works well for no money. I have also gone to tang sights on most of my rifles with globe fronts on as many as I can. I have period scopes on a few. It is amazing how much better you can shoot with the tang sight. The 44 makes a great .22. I have one converted to .22 Mag and one converted to .17 HRM. Fun guns. A word of advise on the 44 in .32-40. I would recomend sticking with very light smokeless loads or black powder. The 44 action has definate limits that you could exceed with hot .32-40 loads.

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2011 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Guys, 
   thanks for the praise on my  home made front globe sight. It was a fun project.  Sorry about the size of the photos. Didn't think that they would appear near the size of the State of Ohio. Will make the photos smaller the next time that I post photos on the site.

I just can't bring myself to put a modern scope on one of my old single shot rifles. To me it just spoils the antique looks of the rifle. I have many modern rifles that have Leupold, and Nightforce scopes on them and know how easy it is to use them. I'm trying to stick with the old Unertl scopes for my single shots. Have a 12X Unertl 1 1/2" Unertl on my 44 in 32-40, and I have a 1" Unertl 8X that is at Parsons for repair. Hope it is fixed and returned soon. It's been there for 4 months. Owning a Unertl scope is good when you can use it, and not just say it's out for repair! 

Was looking for a rear sight for a Stevens model 40 and thought I found one on E-bay that looked like it was the right one. I won the bid and have it on the way at this point. It may or may not be the right one for a model 40 and it maybe one that is slightly larger for the Stevens model 34 Hunters Pet. If it is not the right one to fit my Model 40 I will put it up for sale. These sight are very hard to find. When Ken Bean doesn't have one you know that they are hard to find! It should be here in about a week. 

Have a great 4th to all! Sendaro

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint