Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Had A Happy Fathers Day! (Read 703 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Had A Happy Fathers Day!
Jun 22nd, 2011 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Hello, everyone,  I was able to get out to range for first time this year..I had the whole thing to myself.  Brought out BSA-Pope prone rifle, & just about every brand of .22 L.R. I had.  Set up on the 50yd. bench with Hart front & sandbags.  Mounted a Lyman Jr. TargetSpot 10X, & went to work.  1st. off was CCI GreenTag..No go!  sharp edge just in back of ogive prevented pushing in without something besides thumb.  Had some old Eley club..bought in early 90's..thick lube had turned white..kind of stiff going in, but after a few shots to settle, went in 1/2"  Eley std. did about the same.  The Remington imported Eley EPS shot better than Eley regular black box..3/8".  Thought I would go for broke with Eley Tenex red box..Nothing doing!  Again, sharp edge of bullet prevented normal thumb seating..couldn't even get it close enough for block-bevel to help.
   But the real suprise came with Lapua.  Midas + went into 3/8".  Lapua X-ACT went in..& this is measured with dial caliper, .350".
   Winchester Supreme match target went 3/8"  Federal Gold Medal match went around 7/16".
   I was pleased & suprised at the accuracy of this 1933 barrel.  Funny thing, of all the brands I tried, only Eley cases would eject out of action when lever was opened smartly..all others would extract & lie there in trough.
   Next, off came scope & the BSA adj. appa. rear went on.  With Watson globe front, I sighted to center. 
    Then I did what I have been wanting to do for years, but kept putting it off for some reason, I put on canvas shooting coat..which I bought new several years ago & never used!  Lay down on mat..and attempted to shoot prone.  I didn't use the sling..I guess I wanted to see if I could match the old time Creedmoor shooters. 
   The first thing I found out.this rifle is heavy!  Even with a padded shooting mitt, my left hand was getting sore.  It seemed I had to fight to get head over enough to right..I think my position on mat & elbow was off...More practice needed!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint