Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Left Eye Dominant (Read 11335 times)
possible

Left Eye Dominant
Jun 10th, 2011 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
My Grandson (age 14) is left eye dominant and right handed, which makes it difficult for him to shoot a rifle or shotgun accurately.
Has anyone any advice as to what I can do to help him?
He loves to shoot, but is becoming despondent and I don't want him to quit because of this problem.
Thanks

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Re: Left Eye Dominant
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
I would practice both right and left handed.

Consider getting a $4 eyepatch from Walgreens.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Teach him to shoot left handed.  Seriously!  Always go with eye dominance when it comes to shooting... 

Paul F.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 5:08pm
Print Post  

In such cases for right-hand-shooters with a dominant left eye we have a special construction on the rifle.

Sorry, don't have a better pic of that rifle, but it works like follows:

The diopter and the front sight are moved on a "iron truss/arm" to the left, so the shooter can hold the rifle quite normal and looks with the left eye through the diopter and the front sight.

The shooter can shoot very exactly with that left-eye-construction, after adjusting it correctly. 

I know also air-rifles and small-bore rifles with such a precise-mechanic construction. And also traditional shooters with old schuetzen rifles use that.

Biggi.  Smiley

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
I have a friend who is also right-handed and left eye dominant. He shoots rifles occasionally, but prefers upland bird hunting and busting clays at the Trap club. Early on, he was having the same problems your grandson is experiencing. 

Some time ago, there was an outfit that produced buttstocks for right-handed shooters who had lost the vision in their right eye do to injury, etc, and subsequently had to rely on their left eye. 

The stock they offered was known as a cross-over stock. Basically, when viewed from the top, it had an S-shaped bow built into the stock that allowed the shooter to mount the firearm as normal to a right-handed shooter, but also shifted the receiver and barrel into alignment with the shooters' left eye.

I have no idea where I found the picture, but I gave my friend a copy and he had a stock-maker carve one out to fit him. After trying it out, he had a few more made for his other long-guns. It solved his problem, and judging by his Trap shooting handicap, it worked well.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 5:24pm
Print Post  

In the old days, they had already that special stock-style for left-eye dominants.

This is an AYDT with that special stock, top view and bottom side.

Biggi.   Smiley

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
And wouldn't that be fun to inlet!     Grin

Thanks for posting the picture Biggi!
My friend didn't have to have any tangs bent , and he passed on the cheek-piece.      Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

J. pickup
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
John Amber, well known to single shot persons, suffered from diabitic right eye bleeding in his later years, so he had a "special S"  curved stock made so he could shoot a greener shotgun,it's 1979 or 1980 year of gun digest.I am not sure of the date.He shot from the right shoulder and used his left eye, as his right eye could see  nothing.My father had the same problem and had to quit driving at 75.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Hmmm.
I have seen off-set sights for left-eye dominant folks.  Looked funny, but WORKED.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

jk
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 12:11am
Print Post  
I used to have an old WW1 British Enfield sniper with a Winchester A5 scope. These scopes were mounted to the left of the barrel and not on top of it like most scopes. Anyway, I was very quick to notice that it was very hard to use the scope with my right eye because you could not rest your cheek on the stock while doing so. However if you used your left eye it was a piece of cake and worked out very well. I am sure that there are other rifles that mount the scope off to the left for ejection reasons, perhaps you could try one of them.

Best of luck, John

IP Logged

azzhandler

Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 1:48am
Print Post  
try a pair of cheap dime store eye glasses with no correction for vision and lightly sand the left lense < dominate eye lense >  this will make his right eye the dominate eye, another way to try without ruining the glasses is to just smear a little vaseline on to the lense Cool

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 2:56am
Print Post  
jk,

Offset mounts and scopes with side-ejecting actions did and do have complications as you have mentioned.

One thing that is interesting about the original Win offset mounts and A5/B3 scopes coupled with the old Win 1885 singleshots, or the top-ejecting lever actions is if you offset the scope to the right hand side of the rifle, and then slide your face further forward up the comb of the standard field-style butt stock, it all pretty much comes into alignment. 

possible, my apologies for going off-topic.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 3:26am
Print Post  
Cross eye dominance is not unusual and easily corrected.  Right handed, my eyes migrated from right eye dominant to left after cataract surgery.

I use a small round piece of cling car window tint material on the left lens of my shooting glasses to reduce dominant eye vision slightly and force my eyes back to the right when shooting rifles with iron sights.  You can shoot scopes without the window tint on the left glass by using a blinder attached to the scope bell. However tint material works so well I never use the blinder.

When shooting IDPA pistol, speed sport that still requires precision, I take the cling material off the left lens and put it on the right lens. Index the pistol under my left eye come up and break the shot with the dominant left eye.  Pistols cross is no problem position wise however when dominance is close not a lot different right or left forcing the sight picture to one is much faster. Keeps you from closing the off eye.

Slight blocking of dominat eye vision is common in shotgun and pistol sports. Cling materal is what I use, others use a small piece of scotch tape or even a round target paster to force sight picture to the other eye.

Extreme methods like offset sights or stocks no doubt are required when one eye has good sight other poor, simple cross dominance they are not needed. 64 soon and my iron sight scores have never been better, cross eye is not hurting a thing as long as it's compensated with the slight shading of my dominant eye.

Boats

IP Logged

possible

Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 5:59am
Print Post  
Thank you all for your suggestions; we'll try them out, starting with  the easiest and least espensive.
wch

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Possible,
Why handicap the youngster with offset sights and stocks for the rest of his life? I am also goofy eyed, left eye dominant, and at about age 22 when I started to get serious about accurate shooting I forced myself to learn to shoot lefthanded. True I was uncomfortable with this position for a few weeks, but soon became as comfortable with it. In my day I could hold my own with the best of'em at ASSRA matches and other single shot matches around the country. I'm equally comfortable in either position, but all of my serious shooting is lefthanded.  Undecided
Whether your grandson ever becomes a match shooter or not, is his choice as time goes by, but he'll be a better shooter for switching and his options of rifles will greatly increased.
B.W. Darr
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2011 at 9:08am by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint