Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The frustrating art of checkering (Read 7855 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

The frustrating art of checkering
May 31st, 2011 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
It's been some time since I've held a checkering tool and it took a while to remember some of the basic techniques.  I just finished recutting all the checkering on a very well used firearm after stripping the old scratched, dented and generally crappy looking polyurethane/epoxy finish.  Man, I sure don't like that plastic finish.   

In any case, I'd forgotten how much work it takes to do a reasonably good checkering job, although in this case I was not starting from scratch since the pattern was already laid out.

I have to give a lot of credit to fellows like Tim Smith-Lyon that make a living checkering firearms.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Re: The frustrating art of checkering
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2011 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Wayne
I had always thought i could do anything untill I tryed checkering. Tim has done two rifles for me and both were outstanding. 
Tom

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:33am
Print Post  
Back in the 70's I fell and broke a new Ruger 77 stock at the wrist. After repairing it with Acraglas I reshaped it somewhat and removed all the forend checkering and the grip checkering needed some detailing. I recheckered it in the Ruger pattern. It was my first and last checkering job other than some repointing of existing checkering. I decided checkering was not for me.

Tim Smith-Lyon has just done two jobs for me and I'm very pleased with his price, quality, turnaround time, communication and over all performance. He is an asset to all of us and I'm glad he has gotten into single shots and black powder guns. I'll be sending him more work in the future.

IP Logged

classicchecker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Wayne, Tom, John,
  I think the issue of being able to checker, and this is something evidently all of you don't understand is:  You have to be half nuts to want to checker a gunstock!  Wink  I easily qualify, in fact my wife says I am not half nuts, but 100%.  I told her that I know I'm not crazy, because when I was 16 years old, my parents had me tested!  The test came back negative. Cheesy
 Seriously, I appreciate your compliments, and certainly appreciate your business.   Best to All!    Tim
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2011 at 6:47pm by »  

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
I consider myself at least half nuts but would never try checkering. I do prety good refinish  and touch up work on stocks but they say a man must know his limitations and I think that checkering is one of mine!

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2011 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
My nick Screwloose is no accident.
Here is a pic of mt wood and metal work with Tim's checkering
Its a 7mm Ackley  Douglas target barrel on Arisaka action.
My martinis will look this good some day.
Tom

IP Logged

classicchecker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2011 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Well, to be honest about it, I really didn't do that checkering.  My new Japanese Akita did most of it.  He can't really do nice work where there are a lot of fluer-de-lis, but he does OK.  Now he is around 130 lbs., and a real sweetheart.  He's getting better helping me checker stocks in the shop.   I let him practice on a old Mauser stock at first.   Tim   Wink Wink

IP Logged

jk
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2011 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
I tried my hand at checkering for the first time about Thanksgiving last year and finished up about New Years. I did know that I would have to take my time if there was any remote hope of me not messing up the whole project.
But, at least I did learn something...It is very hard, takes forever, and I am not good enough to do it on a really nice gun. Grin The good thing is that when I go to gun shows I can spot bad checkering a table away.

« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2011 at 9:51pm by »  

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2011 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Tims mauser dog also did a great job on my two ballard stocks!  Richard

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 5:46am
Print Post  
A few years back, on my way out to hunt in Montana, we stopped at Cabelas in Sydney NE. In the bargain cave they had a set of DemBart checkering files. I bought them as I had a few projects that could use some cleaning up and a few that needed checkering from the get-go.

That night in the hotel room I was dying to try my hand at checkering.
The only wood available was the back of the drawer in the nightstand next to the bed.

My friends were cracking up as I checkered that rear panel of that drawer!

But the first time I tried to checker on a rifle stock, it was a disaster.

Like one of the other posters, I consider my self able to do anything someone else can do. I can figure it out....usually!

I never got the hang of checkering wood. I do a pretty good job on metal. Checkered many front straps and back straps on handguns and various sights etc on rifles.

But I'm out of the wood checkering game......Like color case hardening......I'll send it out!

Anyone want to buy a set of Dem-Bart files.....cheap?

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Roy, I'll pass on your offer to purchase the DemBarts.  At age 12 or 14, I bought an 18 and 20 point double and a chasing file.  Had a go at it on an old 22 ... the last time doing any checkering except chasing.  It was a disaster!  Still have the files though

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint