Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Old badge: "Nationaler Schuetzenbund of America" (Read 19438 times)
Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Re: Old badge: "Nationaler Schuetzenbund of America"
Reply #15 - May 19th, 2011 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
OK, We  mentioned this at tonights ASSRA Board of Directors meeting and we support an effort to raise funds to buy this medal for the Association. One of the first things we need to do is to find out a price that will be satisfactory to Biggi. So, Biggi, if you could PM with this information I would appreciate it. Also I would ask that anyone wanting to donate to this effort to please PM me and leave your contact information and the donation you would like to make. During our Board meeting several Directors offered donations to the cause so we have made pretty good progress in collecting money. Another thing we talked about was how we would display this medal. The conclusion was that we would display it during the matches and also use it at the NRA events and wherever else the ASSRA has displays. Anyway, that is what we came up with.

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #16 - May 19th, 2011 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Perhaps someone would purchase it and donate it to ASSRA having collected these medals for the last forty or so years I would put a top price on this at 200.00 dollars. Philo Jacoby [picture] talks in his book THE RIFLE IN CALIFORNIA about the the schuetzen matches he attended from 1861 thru at least 1915 and refers to the temple of prizes being filled from floor to ceiling with goblets cups and medals.
Prizes were awarded for such things as first bull of the morning last of the morning first after lunch last of the day and on and on.
just look at his display in the photograph. while not a common medal this silver issue is far from rare or grand.

IP Logged

Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #17 - May 19th, 2011 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Or this from a well known on-line auction site last year for 125.00

IP Logged

Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #18 - May 19th, 2011 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
1895 festival given to every registered shooter worn on a ribbon to allow entry into the shooting hall

IP Logged

Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #19 - May 19th, 2011 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Reverse, also the Davenport medal is 14k gold.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - May 20th, 2011 at 4:15am
Print Post  

Hello and thanks to all bidders and all guys who wrote very interesting information to that item!   Smiley

Few days ago I didn't know what this medals was given for in the old days and now I got meanwhile so much information in the thread and via PM/email about the old schuetzen-associations in US and a lot of historical knowledge. Thanks a lot guys! 
Smiley

The most important thing for me is: bringing back this medal to US. It should not be in a German medal-collection. It belongs to US and it should be there.

Me as a collector of old stuff round the Bavarian schuetzen-life in the old days is also happy, if someone offers me an item which belongs to my royal shooting society. The objects should be nowadays back there, for historical reasons. 

And if ASSRA is the follow-up organization of the old schuetzen-bunds in US, the medal goes to ASSRA. Fore sure! And I don't want to earn a real big money with that item, although if there were some higher bids than the price I sell it now to ASSRA. 

The associations don't have much money, but enough historical awareness to own that medal. So the missing money to the highest bidder is my donation in this case for bringing back that medal to US.
Cheesy

So the "forum-auction" stopped exactly now!

The medal goes for 301 US$ including free shipping to ASSRA. 

Sorry to the higher bidders who also wanted that item, but I want to donate the rest. I think that's a good decision.

Best regards from Bavaria!            Biggi.  Smiley

@ ASSRA: Please inform me via PM to which address I may send it.

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - May 20th, 2011 at 5:22pm
Print Post  

Just came home from a research in the archive of Munich's state library. The only thing I found about that 1898's schuetzenfest in New York is a small hint for that match in the "Illustrated Bavarian Schuetzen Newspaper".

Tried to translate it for you guys.

Best regards,    Biggi.   Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - May 21st, 2011 at 2:11pm
Print Post  

Hi Ken.

This is a shooting award, the shooter got that prize for a certain amount of rings he shot with Kleinkaliber .22 at an annual regional match.

It's from Kitzbühel in Tyrol, Austria. In those years, Austria belonged to the German Reich. So the before very proud "Tyrolean Standschützen" (sport shooters who defended in WWI their home country in the Alps) had to shoot according to the rules of the Nazi-Schuetzenbund. Not anymore with Feuerstutzen on their old ranges, but rather on short distance (mostly 50 meters) with military small bore rifles in three position matches.

Especially the young shooters were forced by the Wehrmacht to take part in those regional matches in Austria. The badges were mostly awarded in 4 grades: bronze, silver, gold, and sometimes gold with oak-leaves. 

In each Austrian region of Tyrol and the neighbor-state Vorarlberg they held from 1941-1944 those regional matches with thousands of competitors which had to participate by law. 

Below a badge from Kufstein, the 1943's regional match.

Biggi.   Smiley
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2011 at 3:03pm by feuerbixler »  

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - May 22nd, 2011 at 5:44am
Print Post  

Hi Ken.

Because of so much participants and a real big amount of awards, these items are not very expensive. And they are made of cheap metal, no silver or gold parts. The "bronze" and "silver" awards cost approx. $60-90 and the "gold" and "with oak-leaves" are $100-140.

Biggi.   Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #24 - May 22nd, 2011 at 5:45am
Print Post  

While my researches I found an small article in the Austrian-German "People and Shooter's Newspaper" of 1866 about an "American Schuetzenbund". 

This seems to be an older Schuetzenbund in America, which was founded much earlier than this one we discussed according to the shown silver medal.

So you had much more Schuetzen associations in America in the old days?  This one celebrated his second Bundes-Schiessen already in 1866 in Chicago. See article below.

Does there somewhere exist an overview about all the American shooter's organizations and associations in the old days?

Best regards, Biggi.  
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2011 at 7:38am by feuerbixler »  

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - May 22nd, 2011 at 8:47am
Print Post  
I have a token from Highland Il 1872 fifth national match, and The American Sharpshooters society 1868. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) has history for Oberen Mississippi Schuetzen Bezirks (1871), and the clubs who were included, the Westlichen Shuetzen Bund (1879) is also discussed and the Central Sharp shooters. It appears as now that there was not one central body and most were regional. The California San Diego Clubs history page (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) is another good read.

IP Logged

Dave
Ex Member

Reply #26 - May 22nd, 2011 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
I am bumping this to the top.  I assume we still have not received enough pledges to get this done since we have not been told to send our money in yet.  So come on guys, lets do something nice for the organization rather than just bitch about it. Wink

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - May 22nd, 2011 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Neat to see the one from Highland Ill. I am about 20 miles from there and attend a gun show there once a year. They used to have a small show there about 4 times a year. They still have an active gun club there.

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #28 - May 23rd, 2011 at 7:25am
Print Post  
I did not know the ASSRA had a colection. Who maintains it and who has access to it? Or is this another Perk for the BOD?
Tom

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #29 - May 23rd, 2011 at 8:01am
Print Post  
The highest bidder for the medal was $350 via eMail. So I reduced the price for ASSRA to $301 and I waived for those $49 in that sale.

Additionally I will send the parcel with the medal for free to US. A registered and insured postal-mail will be approx. $20 for me. (Depends on the current exchange rate US$ <-> EURO€.)

So my donation is all in all approx. $70 for bringing back the medal to US.

Maybe the BOD can tell us, how many bucks are still missing...  Undecided

Best regards,   Biggi.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2011 at 5:39pm by feuerbixler »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint