Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) BSA falling block rifles How to set a price for on (Read 12988 times)
zeke

BSA falling block rifles How to set a price for on
Apr 23rd, 2011 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Smiley      Hi All:

There is a gun store in Port Royal, Va. that claims to have the largest inventory of these .22 target rifles.  These are the same rifles that Al Freeland sold back in the day.

The prices range from about $500.00 on up for different models.  How does one determine what to pay for these rifles?  They come with or without sights, heavy or light barrels, and different series, i.e. Mark I, Mark II, mark III etc.  What should I look for as to condition and which guns are more desirable than others?

Are these guns accurate by today's standards or just a throwback to the past?

Any advice?

Good health,

Zeke

IP Logged

dmccorki

Re: BSA falling block rifles How to set a price for on
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
The store is open only on Saturdays.  John Appleton, who is deceased, ran the store.  He was an expert on Martinis and other guns. Most of the guns sold at the store can be price on GB and other normal sources, but the store has a reputation for fair dealings.  For advice on particular BSA Martini look at the Martini forum on the RimfireCentral.com where you will find lots of experts.  There are also UK websites devoted to the Martini rifle.
My Mark IV BSA Martini will shoot 5 shot groups about the size of half a dime at  50 yds. Those results are using a rest, but not a special bench rest or any holding device. Newer Anschutz or other target rifles may shoot better but I do not have the ability to take advantage of the better performance.
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2011 at 1:46pm by dmccorki »  

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Welcome, dmccorki, and I'll second your advice about Appleton's.  Never been in there, but their published prices all seemed fair over the years.  Zeke, they have had a very good reputation, and from everything I've seen and heard, you should do well working with them.  On the International series, the Mk II seem to be the most popular with the Schuetzen community...the barrels are screwed in on these and the earlier ones, clamped on the Mk III and later ones.  Mk II and later have better external adjustments on the trigger group.  You'll find them stocked for prone or across the course, conventional and thumb hole.  Some Schuetzen matches don't allow thumbhole stocks, others do.  You'll have to make an executive decision based on what you want to do with the rifle.   Smiley 

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Zeke
My MKll came from Thad Scott couple of years ago with the parkerhale sights and scope blocks. Best $550 I ever spent. Have shot it in several matches and never felt at any disadvantage. I think a good Mkll will shoot with anything out there. It has the best trigger i have ever used.
Pick a good one and you will not regret it. Clean and not abused. I dont think I have heard any complaints about the Martinis accuracy on any forum.
Welcome
Tom

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Think you mean Front Royal Va. not Port Royal. If so It's Appleton's for sure. Have been in to look in person when John was alive. A wide selection, all sorts of grades and types.

John bought aggressively in the UK and Australia, mostly from Schools and Clubs. When I was working in Australia smallbore club I belonged to had to get rid of a dozen or so BSA's   Government would buy them for a set price to destroy, or they could be exported.  Local Police set the limit on how many guns individuals  schools or clubs could own.  Rule was legitimate need. Club with a dozen members could not own two dozen rifles. Most were turned in for the government payment, Had to be a nice one to justify export.  I bought my club owned  Anschutz Super Match 54 back to the US, it was headed to the scrap heap. I don''t know if the UK offered to pay for guns turned in, seems more were exported than the Aussie guns.  

Don't know who is running the shop since he passed away. Guys that I know that bought from him sight unseen, let Appleton pick the gun based on phone conversations.  He gave return privileges if not satisfied.  Never knew anyone to return.

Commonwealth made Martini's are very confusing, here is a site that will help sort out what's what. I see a fair number of .22 Martini's come through our Club matches. All I have seen shoot are very good performers.  On the configurations, some I would love to have, others not too interested in.  Best to educate yourself first.  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Boats

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2011 at 6:44pm by boats »  

IP Logged

zeke

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Smiley    Hi Boats:

Yes indeed, the town is Front Royal.  Port Royal is located near where I live.

When I was at this store, I was shown a Beretta BL-6 28 ga. gun that was very well used.  The owner was firm at $1600.00.  I could not justify that much for a well used BL-6.  I would have liked to have it but I did not have a good feeling about it.  This is when I saw all of the BSA single shots!

Anybody have contact information for this store?

Thanks for the help,

Zeke

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 7:31pm
Print Post  

I haven't been there since Mr. Appleton died, but a friend in the area of Virginia has told me that John's widow opens the store on weekends by appointment.  It's located directly across the street from the town police headquarters.  The Appelton's lived in Fairfax when I was there and he was quite a nice gentleman to speak with.

For contact information. look in the informational directory posted on this forum for S.S. Suppliers and you will run across the listing.

Good luck, 

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
   Well I just went to the thread that last contained John Appleton's business particulars; and it may be found under "For Sale or Trade".  Once there, click on the title "Interesting Links" and scroll down to "John appelton Martinis"

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Reminds me of the time when John was still with us. I called and asked about the availability of a nice buttstock for a 12/15 martini. I was told most assuredly that "I don't sell junk" Had no worries on that score. But when I opened the box, there was a beautiful buttstock. You may also want to look at the various posts in the "Martini section" at rimfire central.com lots of satisfied owners. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

azzhandler

Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 7:24am
Print Post  
I cant say anything about Appleton's business, but I have 2 martini's  the original international  < mk1 > and a fully left handed mkII, my MKI is the most accurate 22 I have ever fired, and I own winchester52 2 anschutzes < 1413, 1813 >  a brno #4,  afew stevens 44' action guns, kimber 82, couple of mossbergs, and the original martini  international beats them all

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 9:39am
Print Post  

Quote:
and the original martini  international beats them all

I'll "Second" what AzzHandler has indicated above.  And add, speaking of the BSA Internationals, whether the barrels are screwed on or clamped on, the exceeding results above other .22 R.F.'s are there. 

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
I cant say enough good things about mine. I will probably modify my 12/15 and let the MKll alone. I want a lighter rifle.
Tom

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #12 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Well, I don't know about Port Royal, But I now that Appletons was in Front Royal at least as laye a s last smmer as I was there and spoke with his Widow for some time. I had the fortune pf living a mere 20 mins from there for 9 years and would visit once or twice a year and did buy a model 15 from John.

At the time of my last visit she said she would continue to operate on Saturdays only as long as there was interest and sales. She had CASES of martinis, most still unopened and she wasn't entirely sure what was in them beyond the shipping records, whuch is how John often operated as well.

Very nice, very fair. If they moved to another location I am sure they/she is still the same. People don't change much that way!

The shop was called The Little Gun SHop in Front Royal, Not Appletons, if you are searching for it in a phone directory.

Merwin

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

Nero
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
A few months back I bought a mk3 International and I thought it shot a nice little group at fifty paces in my back yard but when I took it to the 100 metre range it wasn't doing better than a two inch group with a 6x24 scope on it.
I had taken five different brands of ammo with me to see if it preferred one over the other which was all my local gun shop had. All run of the mill stuff no special target ammo.
Talking to fellow shooters over the lunch break I was offered other brands to try and the first three shots using RWS target ammo went into a clover leaf. 
So don't be disappointed if your new fantastic International doesn't shoot as well as you had hoped it would, just try a different brand of ammo.
Now looking for a cheap mk2 to re-barrel into a bench rest 222R. Just to see how well it will shoot. I think it should turn the corner ok. The cartridge I mean. Anyone done this?
Regards, Roly.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 7:27pm
Print Post  

Quote:
the first three shots using RWS target ammo went into a clover leaf. 
So don't be disappointed if your new fantastic International doesn't shoot as well as you had hoped it would, just try a different brand of ammo.
Roly.

When these Internationals left BSA's manufacturing plant, each one was test fired for accuracy and came to the first owner with a guarantee as to the rifle accuracy.

Now, after having fired many X many shots , there is a goodly number of International around that have "shot out bores" in them.  Of course, many rifles were sent to Parker-Hale for the installation of barrel liners in order to bring them back to specification.

It's a bit of a chore to determine if a .22 R.F. has adequate rifling in it's bore, so there is a real possibility that some folks will purchase a BSA-Martini International and will be no better off than had they bought a heavily used J.C. Higgins hardware store 22 rifle.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
I'd say that the availability of the BSA Martinis is what has really gotten the 22 rf only matches at Etna Green going.   

A few guys had/have great "more traditional" rimfires, lovely engraved high grade well pedigreed original Ballard, Stevens, Winchester, etc.  But for a lot of guys who are not high grade collectors and still want to enjoy the 22 matches, the Martinis have been the magic key.  They are affordable and none that have shown up at EG seem to be bad barreled ones. (I suspect that JohnA simply didn't buy or sell any with worn out barrels) .  5-600 for a rifle, a used scope and the best ammo for the rifle you can afford, some basic bench gear and you are good to go.  There have been some fears that the Martinis would "take over" and displace the more "traditional" 22's but so far that does not seem to be happening.  IN fact some guys who were shooting Martinis and added classic traditional to their kit as well. Especially as they move form the bench matches into offhand.

Biggest detriment to really high score shooting has been ammo and conditions.  I fully expect that soon, maybe even this year, someone will put it all together and turn in a 200 yard 250 rimfire Schoyen

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint