Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New Powders? (Read 4013 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

New Powders?
Apr 7th, 2011 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Hello, everyone.  I was wondering just how much influence the ASSRA, and other groups shooting vintage rifles have on the powder manufacturers.  I know the Cowboy action games helped bring out TrailBoss.  I have begun reading Shooting The British Double Rifle, by Graeme Wright.  He tells of testing the 70% start loading method as recommended by IMR, for their TrailBoss powder.   With 70%, the pressure was already equal to the original black powder loading..but velocity still too low for dbl. rifle regulating.  I wonder if we could convince IMR (Hodgdon) to bring out a slower burning version of TB?  Perhaps name it Walnut Hill, Schuetzen, or Creedmoor?  What do you guys think? Just a thought.  Thanks.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Re: New Powders?
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I wonder if we could convince IMR (Hodgdon) to bring out a slower burning version of TB?
Thuer, there is a better chance of winning the Mega Millions Lottery
If you want it to be a slower burn powder, what's the issue why you can't just download it with a smaller powder charge?  Folks have been doing this with powders for eons.

I do it every week with TB for my gallery reloads.  PS, all my old and new rifles come safely back home to the safe  Wink

Quote:
With 70%, the pressure was already equal to the original black powder loading..but velocity still too low for dbl. rifle regulating.

Your issue is with this Graeme Wright, not Hodgdon.  Suggest you contact him for his expertise
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2011 at 2:27pm by »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Thats a great thought but, I'm afraid that there just isn't much of a demand in the US for such a limited thing. The Cowboy Action disipline has many, many more shooters than single shot. To give you a idea of that............ there is ONE single shot group in all of Oregon. It has roughly 15 members. But, there are three Cowboy Action clubs with in 25 miles of where I live. There are many whole states that don't have a ASSRA or ISSA club even.

Now, I can't tell you why that is. Single shots have been MY favorite gun and type of shooting for 30 years. For 12 years, I promoted this sport in my area, attending every gun show and bending every ear that would listen plus attending muzzle loading matches and doing the same. I had a lot of smiles but, no one showed up even when I offered a gun and bullets to use.

I'll say it one more time.......... we need promotion!!!!!

That said, I would love to be able to buy some Bulk Schuetzen Powder that would make just one hole in the target and forget about 4227,4759,, H110, H108, 296, #9 and even that new fangled 300MP.

That is, unless one of them shot better !!!!!

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
I am with Frank there are more than enough powders already out there that work superbly for those of us in the sport of  Schuetzen and the new Alliant 300MP has proven to be another good choice.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 8:54am
Print Post  
The holy grail for schuetzen shooters is to get someone to produce Schuetzen Semi-Smokeless again. unfortunately the dream has two major flaws. The first is the powder is inherently dangerous to produce and we are a small community. Even given the fact that Chris Hogdon is on the ISSA board and has been a good friend to schuetzen style shooting I fear that we will never see this type of powder manufactured again.

40 Rod

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 10:49am
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Apr 8th, 2011 at 8:54am:
The holy grail for schuetzen shooters is to get someone to produce Schuetzen Semi-Smokeless again. unfortunately the dream has two major flaws. The first is the powder is inherently dangerous to produce and we are a small community. Even given the fact that Chris Hogdon is on the ISSA board and has been a good friend to schuetzen style shooting I fear that we will never see this type of powder manufactured again.

40 Rod

Chris hasn't been on the board for several years, but he is a good friend to this game!   

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Friend?  I have to wonder why the Hodgdon's are not a Sponsor at the 2011 Nationals at the Worthington Center BPCR matches with Goex powders?  Swiss is a Sponsor, aka James Kirkland, owner of Schuetzen Powders, LLC

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
John Boy, I can't speak for the Hodgdon company regarding BPCR, but I know that they've donated many pounds of smokeless powders over the years to the ISSA and other Schuetzen matches, along with assorted mugs, hats, t-shirts, and manuals.  It could be something as simple as not being asked...I also know that with the economy being where it is, many companies are not in a position to be as generous as in the past.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
This is reply number 10 in the following thread.  I have never used trail Boss.  He does not mention the cartridge.

Does anyone else have experience with Trial Boss?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

fa38, yes, I have found a powder or two that I won't use. Vectan SP10 was one; I could never find a burn rate slot that I was comfortable with, and even the little published data I found for it seemed goddawful hot.

Another, contrary to the trend, is Trail Boss. I have gotten 300 fps spreads in ten-shot strings with it, and simply gave up. It also took up to a minute to dispense a single charge in my digital powder machine, and that did it for me.
Please visit my shooting articles at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and my Vietnam novels at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Do use Firefox, NOT Internet Exploder)

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint