Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic lubrisizing tapered bullets (Read 3826 times)
Joe_S
Oldtimer

lubrisizing tapered bullets
Apr 5th, 2011 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
I would like to find a faster way to lube tapered bullets.  I was thinking that perhaps a lubrisizer die could be made to match the contour of the bullet, with three staggered diameters, and the bullet put in nose first.  A special top and bottom punch would have to be made. Has anyone ever tried it?

Thanks! 
Joe S

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: lubrisizing tapered bullets
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
"I would like to find a faster way to lube tapered bullets"

I've found no better or faster way to lube tapered bullets than to pan lube. A regular pie pan will hold 100+ 32's. 

I heat the pan and lube at just above melting point on a electric burner. Put the bullets in, let cool and if they don't want to come out of the pan, I put them in the "ice box" and let it shink from the pan. all thats left is to push them out from the point and out the bottom, perfectly lubed. It does take more lube to begin with but, it lasts for years.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

dave_j

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
get a lube pump with a die made for your bullet and enjoy life. i still pan lube some of mine but the ones i use most i do with a pump. willis gregory on this site can fix you up and it is first quality work. much happy with mine       PLUS
yo Smileyu can lube just the number you need

ah heck  AA#9,4227,300MP, as long as it goes bang

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 1:40am
Print Post  
dave_j wrote on Apr 5th, 2011 at 10:14pm:
get a lube pump with a die made for your bullet and enjoy life. i still pan lube some of mine but the ones i use most i do with a pump. willis gregory on this site can fix you up and it is first quality work. much happy with mine       PLUS
yo Smileyu can lube just the number you need

+1 to dave j.  I pan lube a new bullet design until I am sure I will want to shoot it, then send a couple to Willis for a new insert for one of my lube pumps.  BTW, they do not lubrisize!  A tapered bullet is usually shot as cast and only lubricated without sizing.

Froggie

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 8:20am
Print Post  
I have made lube dies for some people in the past both for the Pope style pumps and to fit Lyman / RCBS pumps. The easy way to fit the tapered hole is to use an adjustable reamer. There is a very long tapered leade on them that is pretty close to the angle of taper on the bullet. It may take you a while to get the fit right but they work pretty well.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 8:56am
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Apr 6th, 2011 at 8:20am:
I have made lube dies for some people in the past both for the Pope style pumps and to fit Lyman / RCBS pumps. The easy way to fit the tapered hole is to use an adjustable reamer. There is a very long tapered leade on them that is pretty close to the angle of taper on the bullet. It may take you a while to get the fit right but they work pretty well.

40 Rod

40 Rod,

I had forgotten about your tapered reamer trick... that would put the process in a bench mounted lubricating pump while still making it possible to skip the sizing step.  In fact, the die you made for me to use in my Dell hand pump is one of the best fits of all I own.  One caution;  The bullet must go into the die nose first and then come back out the way it went in... so it will be upside down from the way your Lyman or RCBS is usually used.

Froggie

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I would like to find a faster way to lube tapered bullets.
 As was suggested - pan lube.  With the proper mold - shoot as cast.  If resizing is needed - use the Lee bottom push Lube Sizer.  The axis of the bullet will not be distorted as they will be using nose down lubesizers

IP Logged

bisaacson

Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
For the Lyman or RCBS Lubrisizer, since you don't want to actually size the bullet, a brass or aluminum "sizer" is easy to turn. Get the outside dimensions from another sizer die, bore the hole smaller than bullet diameter by some convenient size, cut the bore tapered to allow the bullet to enter the die plus a little, so it fits well but doesn't get reduced in size. Measure for the lube holes, drill them where you want lube, turn a nose (base) punch that just places the bullet in the die without jamming, and fit a rod to push the bullet out when it's lubed. To lube the bullet, it is inserted nose first, pressed home, turn the handle to pressurize the lube and fill the grooves, then back the handle off to depressurize the lube and push out the bullet, then repeat. Almost as fast as regular sizing, but not quite as you have to back off the lube pressure for every bullet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint