Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Lino & Lead Alloy (Read 13856 times)
joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lino & Lead Alloy
Reply #15 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
rafter3c wrote on Apr 3rd, 2011 at 11:24am:
Hello joel33050
 I would like to hear more about your lino & lead mix. I have quit a bit of high quality linotype I purchased for gas check bullets years ago.

[b]I have access to lead and foundry type, and have some of each at home. I have purchased linotype and 20:1 lead:tin. I have some WW left, not much, and WW is getting hard to find. Walmart and Goodrich won't sell it to me, say it's a hazardous waste. I think the days of free or cheap WW will soon be over.
I mix lead and lino/foundry type because pure lead is wicked hard to cast-good bullets take a long time to cast. Add some lino or foundry type and pot temp can go down and casting is much easier.
I have bullets cast of various alloys at various times in the past. 
[/b]
Also what type of shooting are you using this mix with and casting pot temp. 

I shoot gc bullets in 308 Win and 30BR, pb bullets in 32-35 Maynard, 45-70, 30-30, 308 Win.,Werndl, etc. Pistols in 308 Win and 30BR with gc bullets. Almost everything 1500 fps or under.
I had no lead thermometer, was made to feel guilty, got one, used it, recorded temps, so nothing to be gained by measuring temps, now the thermometer gathers dust.
 Right now I am testing BRC barrels with both B/S and fixed loads so I am going through a lot of lead.  Thanks  Ken 

I have not been able to make a connection between bullet hardness and accuracy in any gun of any caliber, ever. <1500 fps or so. 
WW and 20:1 and almost only lead shoot the same in my 30-30 martini bench gun for the past 20 years. BS or fixed. 
I've tried hard = lino bullets, high velocity, but don't see the point. 

I have good records of the last 24,628 bullets cast.
joe b.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Apr 3rd, 2011 at 11:53am:
1/25 Lead alloy is the cheapest part of my Shooting.  For me it's false economy to try to come up less expensive alternatives.  Gas last match was over 50 bucks. I shot 60 300 gr bullets out of a rifle that cost more than the car. Entry fee lunch side bets etc it's a hundred dollar day.

Ferguson's latest for 1/25 pre alloyed is 2 dollars per pound that's 10 cents per bullet

Boats

Boats;
This ain't about cost, it's about erroneous notions that take on a life of their own and confuse new shooters. About incorrect opinion masquerading as fact.
That's what I think it's about.
joe b.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Ken,
Lino has 4% tin, if you mix it evenly with lead, you have a alloy simualar to what I shot in my 45/70 (2% tin/WW). I found it to be accuurate in my 45/70. I used it because it was cheap and each shot was one once. In those days the tire stores loved giving WW awayI do not ever cast anything (bullets) w/o at least 2% tin in it. That could probably be cut to 1% but, I've never tried it.

For me, I don't feel comfortable to go w/o tin in the mixture. And just because of that, I'm sure that it would effect my shooting.

Frank
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2011 at 2:27pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Years ago i put everything i had into one alloy.  Bar solder,WW,Lynotype. I worked for Pepsi Cola for awhile and had a large supply of pure tin soda line. I have 10 Wooden cases filled with ingots we poured back then. My alloy will remain the same untill the last ingot. For me bullet quality, diameter and lube have been the deciding factor in accuracy. I have not bought any alloy since i started casting. A smooth clean bore will prevent leading at the velocities i shoot. If i want to go fast I use jacketed. I have a 311291 2 cavity mould with gc removed from one cavity. When they are sized and lubed the same cant tell the difference in the target. When you find something that works for you stick with it.
My conclusion is DIAMETER AND LUBE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ALLOY.
Tom

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Frank that is interesting the alloy I was shooting according to the Lead Alloy Calculator was below your 1% Tin limit. 

A couple of years ago I did some extensive testing shooting both straight Lyman #2 and Hardball but I could not overcome the leading issues associated with it especially in my 32-40. The 33-47 did not have the tendency to lead with either alloy but it always preferred a harder bullet than the 32-40. and the bottom line was a Lead Tin alloy of 1-18 worked best in the 33-47 and the 32-40 likes a softer alloy. 

My hopes with the 1/4lb Lino 3lbs Pure Lead mix was to end up with a  bullet hardness in the 1-25 to 1-30 Lead Alloy range. It checked out to be real close to 1-20 and the first couple of pot top offs equal to 200 bullets worked very well per the two targets posted then for reasons unknown to me it took a digger big time and the result was extensive leading and uncontrollable accuracy. I thought there would be a tendency for the alloy to get softer as time went on and thus show some improvement but so much for thinking about what one has no clue about. I thought about adding some Tin but that is exactly what I was trying to avoid in an attempt to save some money so there was no since wasting any more time trying to improve it when a Lead Tin Alloy has already been proven to be the best in my case.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Wow - sure are a lot of variables on this thread so far.  Betcha by page 5, it's really going to be an interesting thread.  Wink

My turn to jump in:
*  22 bullets have Sb ... I filed a flat surface on a Wolf Extra Match bullet, put it in the Lee Tester and the Bhn was ... 4.5 (Pure Lead)

Bullet Alloys:  My Best Ever 100yd target was shot about 3 years ago using a 45-70 with black powder.  The alloy used for the Postell bullets was WW (Bhn 15.4) + 1/2% Sn.  With the recent article by Dan Theodore, this 97:1.5:1.5 alloy using a 3:7 of Lyman #2 and Pb ... it got my interest because of the alloy used in my Best Ever 100 yd Target ... with Zero Leading in the bore!

I'm in the process of the 300-MP testing and also believe that a harder bullet will work better if it has some Sb in it.  Have several hundred lbs of WW's that is Bhn 15.4 (same Bhn as Lyman #2), made 20 lbs of the 3:7 alloy.  I flux with borax that the utility companies used to use.  Fluxed the 3:7 twice and only black dross floated on top - no indication of any 'lumpy' metal in the dross.  The resulting melt looked like mercury!  The initial Bhn of this mix was 8.2, exactly what the Lyman#2:Pb is supposed to be.  The ingots and bullets are aging now and they are supposed to harden to Bhn 9.8 ... I"ll see what it is tomorrow 

Now here's something else that's interesting ... using 4 different molds for the bullets to be used in the 300-MP test, the dropped bullets weighed more using the 3:7 alloy mix than I have ever gotten using a straight Sn:Pb mix.  Examples ...
Nominal Mold Supposed to Be Weight v the 3:7 Alloy
180gr v 181gr
200gr v 208gr
320gr v 327gr
320gr v 328gr
Plus the bullets are completely filled out, mirror shiny gorgeous.
All cast with my usual melt temp of 710 to 730 degrees 
Go Figure!

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Pure lead mixed with tin in about 1/25 fills molds out better and has a far lower reject rate than mixes with less or no tin.  1/25 has probably won more matches with less problems than anything else.

Joe B is right It's not about cost it's about using something tried and proven and not waisting time mixiing up lead with whatever scrap somebody can get for nothing. Shooters at the gun culb or public range will see me shooting a nice single shot and one thing they all want to talk about is lead and leading problems. Most use wheelweights in some form or another. Modern Wheelweights are so sorry the scrap yards will not even buy them. 

Good bullet that fit's properly and is cast out of good alloy is not going to have problems

Boats

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
John,
I've had just the opposite luck with Lyman #2. There are a few version of making it but mine was to just add 5% tin to WW. My bullets filled out wonderfully and I never had leading issues with it in GC bullets, as a matter of fact, I've never leaded a barrel with a GC attached to the base.  For a while, I shot my 15 twist Douglas with a sized down 323471 GCed and BSed bullet in CBA matches. My best group with that 2154 fps combo was .43 @ 100. That bullet 1.24 long.

Frank

PS
Many of the CBA records in my day were set with mixtures of either 50/50 WW/lino or 1 lino / 2 WW mixes

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Many of the CBA records in my day were set with mixtures of either 50/50 WW/lino or 1 lino / 2 WW mixes

Frank, that had to be in the era when WWs' were Bhn 12 which is still in the reference books.  I have probably over 600 lbs of WW ingots in 2 batches.  One is 13.5 and the other is 15.4.  And these batches in the aggregate are over 5 years old.  Believe they should be stable by now  Grin

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #24 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 9:47am
Print Post  
It may be too late but this thread keeps talking about adding different alloys like it was all the same. Its not! Listed here is the Industry standard for the different alloys that you are most likely to find. Add to this information that these are only the formulas of what comes out of the foundry. I can tell you from personal experience that commercial printers used the same metal in all their machines. When it was felt that the metal was starting not to cast well an ingot or two of “Enriching alloy” was added to the pot. So it will make a difference where you get your alloy from. As most commercial printing houses have computerized that takes the Linotype & Monotype machines out of the equation that is where most of the scrap “Lino” is coming from. I have not even gotten into Wheel weights as there is no “Industry standard” any more and almost anything is being passed off as wheel weights. Given the random nature of the alloy depending on source and the different alloys effect on shrinkage I wonder why anyone is still using this stuff. You might just as well use range scrap it will be just as consistent. The only way to truly know what you are shooting is to make up the alloy yourself or buy it from a reputable foundry. 
Linotype = 84% Lead, 4% Tin, 12% Antimony
Monotype = 74% Lead, 10% Tin, 16% Antimony
Stereotype = 80% Lead, 6% Tin, 14% Antimony
Lyman #2 = 90% Lead, 5% Tin, 5% Antimony
Foundry Type = 54% Lead, 18% Tin, 28% Antimony

40 Rod

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:16am
Print Post  

What 40 Rod said

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:19am
Print Post  
I do have a friend that shoots a nice Aydt. He only uses imported German Alloy.  Wheel Weights from the Mercedes Benz Dealer

Boats

IP Logged

Old Center Shot
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:51am
Print Post  
boats wrote on Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:19am:
I do have a friend that shoots a nice Aydt. He only uses imported German Alloy.  Wheel Weights from the Mercedes Benz Dealer
Boats

Mercedes Benz Wheel Weights  Grin,  I think J Louis was trying to find something less costly than tin  Roll Eyes, so if tin is to expensive for him I don't think Mercedes Benz Wheel Weights will work for him either.
  O C S

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint