Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) cast bullet sizing (Read 10738 times)
joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: cast bullet sizing
Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:32am
Print Post  
I have no machine shop, and wouldn't know how to operate the machines. I do have punches for my Lyman 450 that allow sizing point first, although it is a lengthy process. I'm thinking about buying a Lee sizer.
joe b.

frnkeore wrote on Mar 21st, 2011 at 4:46pm:
joe b,
You can size w/o hurting the nose and go .003-.004 in one pass with a arbor press.

Machine the as cast dia to start the bullet straight (about 1/2 the lenght of the bands or more), at the end of that area, transition it at 1 to 2 deg down to the dia you want. Make sure that the grooves are full of lube (read pan lube). Put the bullet in nose first and push it through from the base. You can seat the GC in the same operation if you put a taper into the as cast dia. The bullet resitance will hold the GC in place. Machine it all .001 undersize and polish it to size.

Frank

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: cast bullet sizing
Reply #16 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:27am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Mar 21st, 2011 at 4:46pm:
joe b,
You can size w/o hurting the nose and go .003-.004 in one pass with a arbor press.

Machine the as cast dia to start the bullet straight (about 1/2 the lenght of the bands or more), at the end of that area, transition it at 1 to 2 deg down to the dia you want. Make sure that the grooves are full of lube (read pan lube). 

When I size bullets from .314" to .309" in 2 passes, the bullets are not lubed because I only lube the bottom groove. after sizing The grooves don't seem to colapse or fill in when sizing.

Put the bullet in nose first and push it through from the base. You can seat the GC in the same operation if you put a taper into the as cast dia. The bullet resitance will hold the GC in place. Machine it all .001 undersize and polish it to size.

Frank

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint