Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) cast bullet sizing (Read 10739 times)
Jaeger 6

cast bullet sizing
Mar 21st, 2011 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Good Morning. I have the 8.15x46R cartridge in two wehrman gewehrs and an Aydt single shot. Their bores all measure .316 dia.  luckily. 

My question is simple...with cast bullets, do I shoot 316 dia , 318 diam or even the 320 diam cast bullets in these bores? I had a friend give me a couple boxes of german made H&N cast bullets for the guns...they are supposed to be very accurate and the design was intended for this cartridge...but they are .320 dia bullets. Do I shoot them as is or should I run them through a sizer die? 

I am new to the cast bullet game, and am trying to figure out which dies to get too. 

thanks for your time.

Ben

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: cast bullet sizing
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
The bullets you got should be "stop ring" bullets, meaning that one band will be bigger to hold it at the case mouth. They are made to fit some what loose in the case and the stop ring works like a seating die to hold OAL.

For cast bullets in general, if they cast round and and .001-.003 over groove, don't size them. Pan lube them and get them into the case (if you have to)  by flaring the mouth of the case or breech seat them.

I wish that there were more molds made for the .316 groove (thats what mine is too) but, there just aren't many. Lyman made a GC but, they're hard to find (on Ebay) and expensive.

I breech seat mine and use 14.5 gr 4227 with a 170 gr bullet. I've never shot fixed in it but, about 13-14 gr of 4227 should be the range.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Most cast bullet shooters shoot bullets with the base band .001" to .002" wider than the groove diameter. 

I prefer .002" for a tighter fit to capture the initial gases when the bullet is fully inserted in the barrel from breech seating to seal the base prior to firing. 

Of course the base will be bumped and will seal in the barrel as long as the bullet is not less than the barrel diameter. 

If your bullet is too big you can shave off .001" to .002" in a sizer.
It is best to only take off one thousand at a time if possible. Trying to shave too much off at once can cause crushing of the bullet from the forces you are applying. Bullets that have more than .002" shaved off ussually do not perform as well.

Too narrow of a bullet; then gases escape around the side of the bullet and starts gas cutting along the side of the bullet.

Too wide of a bullet may cause scraping off of lead which can cause leading of the barrel.
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2011 at 3:40pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Jaeger 6

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Frank,

thanks!! The H&N bullets are flat nosed and cone shaped without any lube grooves. They are coated with a hard finish which makes them look orangish in color. Maybe I will hang onto them and try to run them through a sizer.

Contacted Western Bullet and learned they have "a 180 gr. RN plainbase bullet that can be had in either .316 or .318. They are sort of a specialty item. They are a Kephart-design bullet, with two large grease grooves and three bands. They'd be $15/100." Might try some of them. 

But what dia should I go with...316 or 318 diameter[/b]?

You know of anyone selling stop ring bullets in the 170 gr range for the 316 dia bore? 

I have bought some brass and cast bullets from Bob Hayley in Seymour, Texas// ph 940-888-3352. The brass is perfect and fits beautifully...it is made from 303 British. Shot the lube ring bullets he sent me already...but didnt use the stop rings he sent as they wouldnt fit inside the mouth of my cases. I bought only 20 pieces of brass but plan on ordering more. 

I went on line and watched the germans and austrians shooting their aydts and martinis off hand at 200 meters at a match in 2010. looked really fun and I also noted that they had pre-made their ammo for the match. I intend to pre-load my ammo. 

I spoke with the man who owns 310.com and he will make the Ideal hand loading tool for me in this cartridge for a very reasonable price, which in turn would make it possible to load round at the range. (fun guy to talk with too as he shoots SS rifles!!) I just need to know what type of bullet I will be loading. 

Thanks again. 

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Go with the .318 dia. The .316 might work but the .318, will work.

I know of no one selling stop ring bullets. I've only heard of a couple of mold makers that make stop ring molds. Of the two, one no longer makes molds, the other, I'm not sure if he's tooled up for them yet ( Dave Mos). You'll find him in the for sale section.

I'll have to check out 310.com, thanks for the info.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Jaeger 6

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave,

perfect!! Thank you. The H&N are smooth, without lube rings and  with a concave base. I will size them to .318 when I get the tools to do so. I have almost a 1000 of them...too many to dispose of. 

Are you shooting stop ring bullets or conventional lube ring'd bullets? Any suggestions for dies to cast bullets with? I am new to it...dont even have a melting pot yet. 

and then loading for the round...is anyone using fillers?  I found natural cotton fiber in the form of a rope chord, but I am wondering if there is any issue with consistency with the filler (volume or weight)  affecting  accuracy. 

Ben

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
I have had good luck with bullets as much as .004" over bore diameter, shooting .312" dia. bullets in .308" bore rifles.
I have had some good luck sizing bullets down as much as .005" in 2 passes, .314 to .312" then to .309". Last time out in a Savage Striker pistol, 10 at 100 yards in 1.65".
When I size bullets down I inadvertantly bump the noses up, from .0005" to .003" or so with a hard bullet. This complicates the sizing/fitting process but maintains micrometer caliper competence.
I try every bullet without sizing, and believe, along with John Ardito, that sizing generally doesn't help accuracy.  Too big is always better than too small.
I'd bet that a .320" bullet will shoot just fine in a .316" bore.
joe b.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
joe b,
You can size w/o hurting the nose and go .003-.004 in one pass with a arbor press.

Machine the as cast dia to start the bullet straight (about 1/2 the lenght of the bands or more), at the end of that area, transition it at 1 to 2 deg down to the dia you want. Make sure that the grooves are full of lube (read pan lube). Put the bullet in nose first and push it through from the base. You can seat the GC in the same operation if you put a taper into the as cast dia. The bullet resitance will hold the GC in place. Machine it all .001 undersize and polish it to size.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
I bought my stop-ring mould from NEI Hand Tools in Texas. Delivery to the Uk was 2 weeks, but under the new USA export rules this may not be possible today. With a 20:1 mix, bullets come out at .3175" and I have one rifle with a .316" bore and one slightly larger.
I have a breech seater, but it shows no advantage with the stop-ring bullet. Much simpler to thumb the bullets into the case after re-priming and charging. Liguid alox lube keeps them in place OK.
I use 14.5 grn of 4227---I used to use 13 grn, but in the rifle with the slightly larger bore, some bullets tumbled with this load. Interestingly, the tumblers had none-expanded case necks with carbon deposits around them--maybe re-annealing the necks would fix this problem.
Fred

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Buffalo Arms makes stop-ring moulds in .316, .320, and .325 Diameter.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Steve   Smiley

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Jaeger 6 wrote on Mar 21st, 2011 at 2:45pm:
Good Morning. I have the 8.15x46R cartridge in two wehrman gewehrs and an Aydt single shot. Their bores all measure .316 dia.  luckily. 

My question is simple...with cast bullets, do I shoot 316 dia , 318 diam or even the 320 diam cast bullets in these bores? I had a friend give me a couple boxes of german made H&N cast bullets for the guns...they are supposed to be very accurate and the design was intended for this cartridge...but they are .320 dia bullets. Do I shoot them as is or should I run them through a sizer die? 

I am new to the cast bullet game, and am trying to figure out which dies to get too. 

thanks for your time.

Ben

Hi Ben.   

Just read your post.   

I have a German Stahl rifle with a .316 DIA bore. When I use .316 bullets it leads bad. Have recently found that .321 stop ring bullets shoot excellent in it and do not lead the bore when set in the mouth of the case.   
I recommend you try different bullets in your rifle before spending money on a mold. 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Jaeger 6

Reply #11 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

I thank all of you for the information you have shared. I was really surprised when I got home and found all the posts...this is going to be great!! 

I will need some time to take all this in and to work up some test loads. I like the idea of testing some different bullets before commiting to a particular set of molds too. And at the same time, its very helpful to hear what has worked for you. 

Are any of you using "fillers" for this cartridge? I had read that the germans recommended the use of natural fillers...that got me to wondering. In Rowe's books I have seen the photos of the old pre-measured powder charges...but I havent seen mention of how they used fillers. Furthermore, with my smokeless regular reloading...consistency and accuracy are significant factors in producing quality cartridges that produce the desired results. This cartridge shouldnt be any different...right??? So....

Do we use fillers or can we skip them; and if we do use fillers...do we have to worry about volume or weight to achieve load consistency in burn rates and SD? 

Unfortunately, I have to leave again as I am being dragged away to socialize with my wife's girlfriend. 

But I will be back. thanks again!!!

Ben

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Ben,-- thanks for bringing this up. I normally size in a loading press using dies (about 0.002" sizing) made similar to Frank's discussion. Use an adapter for a bullet nose punch in the shell holder and push through from base to nose. This eliminates any flash or deformation of the bullet base. Not saying this is gospel, just what I came up with and would appreciate discussion.
Chuck
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:22pm by Chuckster »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:26am
Print Post  
Jaeger

To your question on fillers. We don't use fillers. Some controversy on wads however as a general rule only wads used are with the short cases that need wads to breech seat successfully.  Having said that there will be some that say wads are fine and improve results. Starting loads I would avoid them.

On consistency with cases less than full.  Key here is to use a powder that burns at it's intended rate and produces safe pressure with loading density allowed by your case size.  This is effected by bullet weight, how much crimp, bullets size, temper, desired velocity and even the primer used.

It's sort of like octane rating in your car's engine.  To low it will not perform well, too high is not a good thing either.  Extreme example you don't use Gasoline in a Diesel engine. Powder is just fuel and the case is a combustion chamber. Feed it right and no extra fillers or wads are required.  While many powders will do fine you will find consensus on 4227 for most single shot cases. 

If you can't find 4227 in your area look at a relative quickness chart and pick a powder that's available and near 4227 in burn rate. get things working well then branch off into other powders, best sick with whats proven as a first step.

Boats

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:27am
Print Post  
joeb33050 wrote on Mar 21st, 2011 at 4:28pm:
I have had good luck with bullets as much as .004" over bore diameter, 
I should have said GROOVE diameter. I assume that the original poster's .316" is groove dia. and not bore dia.
shooting .312" dia. bullets in .308" bore rifles.
I have had some good luck sizing bullets down as much as .005" in 2 passes, .314 to .312" then to .309". Last time out in a Savage Striker pistol, 10 at 100 yards in 1.65".
When I size bullets down I inadvertantly bump the noses up, from .0005" to .003" or so with a hard bullet. This complicates the sizing/fitting process but maintains micrometer caliper competence.
I try every bullet without sizing, and believe, along with John Ardito, that sizing generally doesn't help accuracy.  Too big is always better than too small.
I'd bet that a .320" bullet will shoot just fine in a .316" bore.
joe b.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint