Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Safe chamber pressure for Stevens 44 (Read 11320 times)
Shorty
Participating Member

Safe chamber pressure for Stevens 44
Mar 9th, 2011 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Perhaps this should be in the Gunsmithing forum, but I am interested in what can be considered a safe chamber pressure for a Stevens 44. I have a 44 and a 45 on a 44 frame, both in .22LR, but am trying to establish a safe and accurate load for a 44 in 25-20 SS. Seems like I have read somewhere that .22 LR produces about 18,000 psi, and am thinking this establishes a baseline, but would like some informed feedback.

“Dissent is the highest form of patriotism” - Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Safe chamber pressure for Stevens 44
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 5:35am
Print Post  
Here's my answer.
Safe chamber pressure in a rifle is that pressure you get from a double charge of powder. If the rifle can't handle that double charge pressure without blowing up, it isn't safe.
This definition was created by me after watching several SS rifles blow up at matches. I then went home and sold all Stevens CF 44s and CF Ballards.
I believe that the only safe CF SS rifles are 1885 Win, Hepburn, the modern ones like DeHaas, etc.
If you haven't double charged a case, just wait.
joe b.

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Joe....that makes sense. When I reload I only have the components for that rifle/load on the table. AND double check loads with a flashlight before finishing. Pete

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Should have sold me those 44's. If you use black powder you can't double charge. The answer when you are using smokeless is to NOT double charge. Double charge a new gun  and you can blow it up too. Am I wrong or am I missing something?

IP Logged

Fritz
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Skalkaho--When I load cases at the bench,and am interrupted,I either pour powder out and start again or I have a dowel which is marked when case is filled with given charge--if case mouth and mark don't match  up,I start over--never had a problem.  Fritz

YIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
I use a powder funnel with my 44. Put the case in the funnel up side down after priming. Pick it up, charge and shoot.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Mar 10th, 2011 at 8:39pm:
Should have sold me those 44's. If you use black powder you can't double charge. The answer when you are using smokeless is to NOT double charge. Double charge a new gun  and you can blow it up too. Am I wrong or am I missing something?

You hit the nail fairly on the head !  

There was a highwall blown to smitherines on the forum and in the journal recently. I've seen one Hepburn cracked down the side.  Heard of an Aydt that was wrecked recently.   

I was at Etna Green when a Ballard was double charged and didnt let go. Bent the parts inside.   

Joe.   

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

leeyn
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Skalkaho wrote on Mar 10th, 2011 at 2:42pm:
Joe....that makes sense. When I reload I only have the components for that rifle/load on the table. AND double check loads with a flashlight before finishing. Pete

The answer when you are using smokeless is to NOT double charge. Double charge a new gun  and you can blow it up too...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Wish joeb33050 had offered me his Ballards !    Hervey Lovell and R.K. Sedgley didn't think they were all that weak.   Both built 22-3000 Lovells on Ballard actions.  
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2011 at 9:25pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 12:47am
Print Post  
A few years ago I loaned my Sportco. Sportco?  Think thats what it is, to a service rifle shooter friend. Friend? I think thats what he is. He managed to blow the end off the bolt.  

Joe. 

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 5:39am
Print Post  
Should have sold me those 44's. If you use black powder you can't double charge. The answer when you are using smokeless is to NOT double charge. Double charge a new gun  and you can blow it up too. Am I wrong or am I missing something?

I believe you're correct on the BP.
From what I've seen, strong actions such as 1885 W, Stevens 44 1/2, Hepburn, DeHaas, Martini, etc may/will be damaged with a double charge, but won't damage you.
As far as 22 Lovell on a Ballard, small area case head and a lot of luck. Anyone shooting smokeless 45-70 on a balloard is courting disaster.
The question started about a 44, and I gave my opinion. An old and pretty good gunsmith gave me his opinion about the 44, including the ones with the "almost lockup raised bit of metal" thing. Good for 22RF, only.
As far as throwing powder charges safely, 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Good luck,
joe b.

IP Logged

arielredhunter
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 7:29am
Print Post  
I use only black powder in my Ballard #2.  The case is very small, and too easy to overload with smokeless.  I also have a 44 Stevens in 32-20 that I used to load with 5.5 grains of unique, but now I use only blackpowder in that one now for the same reason. Shocked

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
joeb33050 wrote on Mar 11th, 2011 at 5:39am:

I believe you're correct on the BP.
From what I've seen, strong actions such as 1885 W, Stevens 44 1/2, Hepburn, DeHaas, Martini, etc may/will be damaged with a double charge, but won't damage you.
As far as 22 Lovell on a Ballard, small area case head and a lot of luck. Anyone shooting smokeless 45-70 on a balloard is courting disaster.
The question started about a 44, and I gave my opinion. An old and pretty good gunsmith gave me his opinion about the 44, including the ones with the "almost lockup raised bit of metal" thing. Good for 22RF, only.
As far as throwing powder charges safely, 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Good luck,
joe b.

You must not have seen the highwall that came apart like a hand grenade. Dont know how you could have missed that!  It was a miracle the shooter and people around him were not injured.   

Joe. 

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #13 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Some 44 Stevens rifles seem to be fairly well made but others are not, I have a nice looking 44 in 32-40 that I use to shoot with black powder, however after carefully examining it, I have not shot it since ‘cause on the inside it looks like the work of the crudest blacksmith, it’s absolutely horrible. Years ago I was shooting with Ray Day, and he had a very nice Model 52, 44 Stevens come apart on him, the breech block broke in half and the action cracked, the lever and parts came out the bottom. Luckily he wasn’t hurt seriously, but it wasn’t caused by a double charge of smokeless powder, as I recall it was about 14 grains of Dupont 4227 that did it, 44 Stevens actions are OK for 22 LR, but I don’t trust them in centerfire calibers.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2011 at 9:29pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Safe pressure in Stevens 44
Reply #14 - Mar 12th, 2011 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Exactly so.  Trouble with 44s is that they aren't consistent.  Sometimes you find one where the breechblock bears firmly on the shoulders behind it when it's closed.  This makes the force resolution path somewhat like a Ballard, and they'll take more pressure that way, because the metal is loaded in compression.  But far more often than not, the shoulders don't bear at all, and then all the thrust is  transmitted to the pivot pin.   In which case there's a stress concentration in the angle between the leg to the pivot pin and the face of the block. There being no appreciable radius there, and it being a tension load, cracks will form and spread.  

The number you want to think about is not pressure, but thrust on the breech face.  Roughly, the thrust is pressure per unit area, so a small cartridge like the Stevens quarterbores can work at higher pressure than a .32-40 and still stress the action less. The area ratio is about 1.75:1.   That 4227 load calculates to about 12K psi in Quickload.  The same thrust in a .25-20SS would take 20K psi to generate.   

However, I'd still keep to about 15K psi with the .25-20SS unless I could X-ray or at least ZyGlo the breechblock for cracks.   Regardless of powder choice, loads at that pressure will yield 1300-1400 fps with the 85 grain cast bullet, and you can have fun with that.   If you want to shoot jacketed, or higher velocity, use a stronger action, IMHO.  I used the .25-20SS in a 44 1/2 as my go-to chuck rifle for some years, which it did admirably, but at something like 35K psi.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2011 at 12:54am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint