Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Belding & Mull OK for black powder? (Read 16719 times)
digitall423
Oldtimer

Re: Belding & Mull OK for black powder?
Reply #30 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 6:13am
Print Post  
Joe
  Go to the local hardware or marine supply store and buy a piece of non-skid material. It will have adhesive backing. Stick a piece of it on the flat clamp area of the Belding and Mull measure and the slipping problem disappears. Mine is as solid as a rock.

Bill

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 8:08am
Print Post  
B&M's spring is the thing that makes it so consistent. Takes operator error out of working the measure.  Same every time no matter how the lever is operated.  I find it's good to keep the slide lubed with powdered graphite.  Spring is still strong and slips easy.

Boats

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Another question on the B&M.......... How many times do you pass the powder chamber over the powder measure? 

Three times for me. I like to see that it's completely refilled and it compacts the powder in the measure a little.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #33 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
digitall423 wrote on Mar 17th, 2011 at 6:13am:
Joe
 Go to the local hardware or marine supply store and buy a piece of non-skid material. It will have adhesive backing. Stick a piece of it on the flat clamp area of the Belding and Mull measure and the slipping problem disappears. Mine is as solid as a rock.

Bill

Thanks Bill!   Smiley

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 3:49am
Print Post  
Frtank
I only use the B&M with course powder and weigh each charge. Dont make any differenc how many times I move the handle as long as the tube is tight against the measure first time. I use the knocker on both strokes of the handle.

Tom

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 4:52am
Print Post  
Brain fart
Knocker on Lyman 55
Sorry
Tom

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Black or IMR stick powders I pass it one time and check weigh every 10th charge.

55's  do have a knocker. It's all technique and some guys can get good results with 55's.  All 55's are not the same though. My first one was not a good one probably 1980 production.  Junk box at the Club swap meet I picked up a real old one with a broken handle.  Stripped it for parts and did some switching with the  new measure. It works a lot better now, drum  from the old measure is more precise. I do OK with the 55 and perhaps it's the best compromise measure black and smokless.   

Dedicated I go with a Harrells for 4227 & Varget The B&M for Black & 4759.  Old Bonanza fixed rotor for Unique and Hodgen Clays pistol powders. Down to 6 powders now.

Boats

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Boats
I do not use the graduations on the measures. I set them with my scale. Good electronic scale much more important than thr measure. My ballance scale is an old Ohaus. The Lyman does not change from start to finish Its a rythem I set up.  Trimmed 45/70 case will work as a measure on the B&M. I dont like the locking system on the B&M measure. It moved on me once. Scale caught it.
I bought the Lyman new about 1965 Powder hopper is plastic and screws in. My star press has its own measuring system its a sliding bar with holes in it. Star makes real good amunition. Guy I got it from was feeding a Mac 10.  
Tom

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Screwloose By precise I mean the fit of rotor to body. My newer Lyman the steel rotor fit's in the cast body. Old one has a cast body that's bushed with brass, much nicer fit than the newer 55.  Thing thats catching me with my 55 now is the screw on the offside of the drum is  backing out and giving trouble. I could loc Tite it but need to take it apart to clean when using black powder

3 different venier settings on a 55 are so difficult I never use it for anything. Like you always set with a balance beam scale that's been calibrated with check weights.

I follow that policy with everything even fixed rotor bonanzas. I might make a mental mistake setting up and the beam balance scale will catch the error.   

Good 55 is a good measure though.

Boats

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Mar 18th, 2011 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Boats,
Have said this before, but purple Loctite #222 is great for screws that have to be adjusted or need to be removed.
Chuck

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint