Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Belding & Mull OK for black powder? (Read 16733 times)
38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Belding & Mull OK for black powder?
Reply #15 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
I've seen them both ways, with a brass powder reservoir and (like mine) with one of clear plastic.  I like the idea of getting a piece of brass tubing to replace the plastic, have to remember to take the plastic piece along when I am at a decent hardware store.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Joe
We finaly agree on something. I have yet to hear of anyone blowing themselves up handeling BP. Did have a friend burn his house down cleaning parts in gasoline.
Tom

IP Logged

Rooster
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 10:55am
Print Post  
I use several powder measures for BP. RCBS and a couple old Lyman 55's. No problemo. I don't have the slightest worry anymore since they now sell BP in plastic containers....

IP Logged

Dave
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 11:21am
Print Post  
38_Cal wrote on Mar 14th, 2011 at 3:47pm:
I've seen them both ways, with a brass powder reservoir and (like mine) with one of clear plastic.  I like the idea of getting a piece of brass tubing to replace the plastic, have to remember to take the plastic piece along when I am at a decent hardware store.

David

I am curious, couldn't you just take a piece of thin sheet brass the width of the plastic powder holder height and a length slightly longer than the interior circumference.  Then roll it up and insert it in the plastic powder holder.  It should spring back and hold it self in place.

Wouldn't this remove the cause for concern?

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 12:16pm
Print Post  

I am curious, couldn't you just take a piece of thin sheet brass the width of the plastic powder holder height and a length slightly longer than the interior circumference.  Then roll it up and insert it in the plastic powder holder.  It should spring back and hold it self in place.

Wouldn't this remove the cause for concern? [/quote]

I'm looking for a slightly greater capacity than the one issued with my measure.  Also, I like the looks of a brass or copper tube hopper on it.  I did that with a Redding 10X measure that I use at the range for small charges in my .308-32/20.  Gotta have those style points!   Cheesy

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Dave
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Yes, if poorly done it would look like it was wrapped in foil and that would certainly cost some style points.

IP Logged

Slingshot_IL
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Well the only plastic on my B & M measure is I replaced the glass front with a Plexi glass due to it being cracked and yellow with age. 

As for a larger hopper, I took a 1 1/4" round brass (not chromed) drain and cut off the angle end. You can usually find them at professional plumbing supply houses not your local depot.  Mine is about 14" in height. I just had to shave a little off the end with some sand paper and it fits fine. I also had to drill 3 small holes to fit the original brass nails back in. 

If you need a picture or measurements just email me at jeffroth182@gmail.com 

Slingshot IL / Jeff

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Jef
How did you remove the nails? 
Tom

IP Logged

Slingshot_IL
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 10:12am
Print Post  
To remove the nails I took a thin blade knife and slowly pryed them out to get em loose. Then took a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled them. They come out a little bent but I took a hammer and banged them back into shape. 

Jeff / Slingshot_IL  Grin

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 11:55am
Print Post  
My plastic hopper unit lacks the holes for the brass pins.  Press fit into the body only.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
jeff
My thought was that they were rivets. Thanks
Tom

IP Logged

Slingshot_IL
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Look in the bottom of the tube, if you see brass sticking through they are nails. I have seen some that were altered with brass screws and some with Rivets. 

If its rivets you can drill them out but caution, it will make the hole bigger if you use to big of a drill bit. 

Jeff / Slingshot IL

IP Logged

13Echo
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
An alternative, but rather expensive, is the MVA measure.  It is in all essentials an improved B&M measure.  I bought one in a fit of excess and really like it for black powder.

Jerry Liles

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #28 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
One thing I dont like about my B&M,  It rotates when I work the lever. I squared it up in the mill thinking that would fix it.  Still wont hold worth beans.  Next, one of these days I'm going to install some pointy dowels so it can dig in and hold. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #29 - Mar 16th, 2011 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Yeah, it doesn't need that heavy spring in there. I put a little lighter one in. Saved the original in case I want to chop carrots with it.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint