Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bullet length question (Read 6183 times)
RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Bullet length question
Mar 6th, 2011 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
After running the numbers for my 32-40 through “CharlieDELL'S Rifling Twist Formula” excel spread sheet, I come up with a maximum bullet length of 0.97”. Bullet diameter .321, twist 1:4, MV 1,400fps. I have been shooting a Mos spitzer of 1.16” length for some time now with excellent accuracy (meaning I’ve won my share of matches with it) and the bullet holes in the target are nice and round. Seems to me Charlie’s formula may be on the conservative side as to bullet length for a given twist or am I missing something?
Opinions?

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Re: Bullet length question
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
1 in 4 twist is as fast as I've ever seen. Wink Shocked Maybe your on to something.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
1:14
sorry about that

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

MAD MIKE
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 2:12am
Print Post  
When they refer to bullet length on those charts, if I recall correctly, bullet length was measured as a cylinder(no meplat or ogive),(hope I spelled those correctly). I'm sure that's printed on some charts.      That's the way I remember it, anyway.        ...MIKE... Undecided Undecided Undecided

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 5:37am
Print Post  
With a .321" bullet at 1400 fps
C. Dell's formula says max bullet length is .96"
With a .321" bullet 1.16" long at 1400 fps
C. Dell's formula says min twist is 11.6"
With a .321" bullet .96" long
Greenhill says min twist is 16.1"
With a .321" bullet and 14" twist
Greenhill says max. bullet length is 1.104"
The C. Dell formula is for longer range slower bullets. Greenhill is for shorter range, the BPCR guys say.
I would say that in the world of approximations, it's all pretty close.
How close is your twist to 14", velocity to 1400 fps?
joe b.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Crash, put this calculator into your references for twist rate calculations ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Here are some more JBM calculators ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Guys - thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated.
John Boy: from those calculators, it looks like I could stabilize a slightly longer bullet than the one I’m using now.

joe b: the different bullet lengths derived from the two formulas make sense if Greenhill’s formula is for shorter distances and Charlie’s formula holds-true for extended ranges, where the bullet is subsonic for much of its trip to the target. My current spitzer stays stable at 200 yards which is the only distance I really care about. 
I have never measured the actual twist of the barrel, it’s a heavy Badger that came on the rifle and is supposed to be 1:14. I’ll measure it so I’m know for sure.
Where I’m going with my bullet length question is that I’m trying to tighten-up my groups a bit with this rifle by designing a sptizer bullet to more precisely fit the throat/leade. By knowing the optimum bullet length, I then have a starting point for developing the bullet design. Once I get the bullet drawing developed, it’s off to the mould maker. The 1400 fps (or slightly faster) is my intended muzzle velocity so the bullet stays supersonic all the way to the target. My actual velocity will be whatever is most accurate when I work up a load for the new bullet.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
IP Logged

Big Dave

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 10:05am
Print Post  
The Corbin twist rate calculater gives 1.125 inch long and 225 grains for bullet in 1:14 twist barrel.

This calculater seems to be working with my bullet configuration so far. The 190 grain by .980 length is working excellent in the 1:17 twist barrels. I made some for a guy with 1:14 twist, but do not think the weather has let him try them yet.

Do not know if this will help of confuse. Good luck.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Big Dave
Thanks for your input. The 1.125” bullet length (maybe a tad bit longer) is about what I think I will end up choosing but a longer nose spitzer since I intend for the bullet to stay supersonic at 200 yards. It will probably weigh a little less than 225 grains though.
Your bullet configuration looks interesting. It appears to be knurled, correct? Do you lube it? If yes, do you dip lube, tumble lube or maybe you shoot it paper patched. Inquiring minds want to know Wink

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
IP Logged

Big Dave

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
I knurl the sized (to weight) slug, then tumble lube them.

The next step is to form them in the dies.

The lube is sealed in the knurl as they are formed,
and lubes the complete bearing surface.

These seem to have no leading problem.

The nice thing about my dies is that I can make some 
variations to the bullet. This helps make a bullet to fit a 
particular barrel / rifle fairly easy.

The attached photo shows two nose shapes I am doing. 
On these 32 cal. 190 grain, the blunt nose is .980 long and the long is about .020 to .025 longer.

The more I do with these the more interesting 
(sometimes frustrating), it gets.

Dave

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Big Dave
Your bullet concept looks interesting. If you don't mind sharing, how do you knurl them uniformly? Also, do you breech seat or shoot fixed? Are your bullets groove diameter and I guess another basic question, are you shooting black or smokeless?
Thanks for engaging in this dialog, it's appreciated.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #11 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
GOOD lookin' bullets!  How do they shoot?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Dave interesting concept please keep us informed on further testing and your results.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Big Dave

Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Crash Landing
Your bullet concept looks interesting. If you don't mind sharing, how do you knurl them uniformly? 

The photo shows my knurl tool. A slug that is correct weight is shown on the rolls. The top roll pivots down and the screw at the upper part of the photo is a stop screw to keep the knurl uniform.

Also, do you breech seat or shoot fixed? 

We have used them both ways.

Are your bullets groove diameter and I guess another basic question, are you shooting black or smokeless?

They measure .322 diameter with my micrometer. They should work fine with black powder, but we have only used smokeless so far.

Cat_Whisperer

GOOD lookin' bullets!  How do they shoot? 

At Joe's place, a 100 yard "home range" that is fairly protected from the wind, some excellent groups have been shot. Joe had purchased a 32 Miller and was ready to sell it because he tried all of the cast bullets he could find and the best he could get was over 1 inch groups. The first time with these he started getting consistant groups of about 1/2 inch. One of the guys did shoot a five shot group with a CPA 32-20 that was just under 1/4 inch center to center.

These were with the blunt nose in 1:17 twist rifling. We have to try the more tapered as soon as the weather gets better.

Good shootin,
Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint